Instrument cluster, light bulb replacement / color change / LED conversion - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
crl620
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Instrument cluster, light bulb replacement / color change / LED conversion

I was wondering if there's an easy way to change the color of the light bulbs that illuminate the instrument cluster.

After removing the cluster, I see a ton of small bulbs that are in removable "Toshiba V2" housings (or something like that).

Is there a simple way to make these say, blue?
Or replace them with LEDs?

Also, does anyone know where to find these housings / replacement bulbs (other than my neighborhood honda dealer)?
crl620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
kilgoja
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Re: Instrument cluster light bulb color change

i found some led bulbs at www.discountleds.com and www.lightlens.com ...the size they have is 74 ...not sure what size the e uses
kilgoja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

How-to on changing instrument bulbs here.

I found colored incandescent ($0.99 ea.) and LED ($2.50 ea.) #74s here.

The new bulbs are the same size as stock, and they pop right into the quarter-twist mounts. The factory bulbs can be tough to pull out.

Also, I recommend these padded pliers specifically designed for removing small bulbs from their bases:

Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) item #65520, inexpensive.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 08-06-2012 at 12:51 PM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
ramblerdan
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

YouTube video (thanks to Eedviking for finding this one):

Last edited by ramblerdan; 08-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Genom
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
2004 4WD LX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Wow that looks real slick...do the bulbs light up a true red or somewhat orange? Can't wait to see your usual thoroughly detailed how to on replacing these bulbs.:)
Old 02-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
ramblerdan
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genom
do the bulbs light up a true red or somewhat orange?
True red. Haven't tried it out at night yet, but there was definitely no orange tint visible in the dark garage.

Accessing and replacing the bulbs was amazingly easy. Thanks Honda!

Unlike many E owners, I'm satisfied with the visibility of the gauges in daylight. I also prefer the gauge lights super dim when driving on a dark road, and the minimum setting just wasn't low enough.

I didn't replace the two bulbs that backlight the odometer with red because I was afraid it would be too dim. If the odo is too bright at night, I'll probably buy two yellow bulbs for that purpose. I bought an amber for the brights-on icon and was going to simply remove the bulb for the CRUISE CONTROL message, but it turns out those aren't accessible without taking the instrument cluster apart, and then who knows what kind of bulb they use. [EDIT: LED.] So I'm staying with the gray window film (brights) and rubylith tape (cruise) for the time being.

Also, I didn't see an unused "low washer fluid" imprint on the gauges (as discussed in this thread), so anyone doing a retrofit would have to get a Canadian instrument cluster, which I assume has kph on the outside and mph on the inside. So we might have to wait for the next Generation for Honda to give us a low-fluid warning in the U.S.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 02-16-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
soopa element
2003 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to soopa element Send a message via MSN to soopa element

looks like you've went with red as well. i just had mine stained red with stained glass paint. Yes and don't we all just love Honda for making so easy for us to replace the bulbs. There's one thing that you won't be seeing in other manufacturers. Thanks Honda.
Hyper Grounding Kit, Infinity 6002si speakers all around, Infinity REF 1011T Tweeters, Hyper White Back up lights and license plate lights, custom exhaust with Magnaflow, AEM Cold Air Intake, DIY red instrument panel bulbs, retrofitted HID with bixenon projectors, Pioneer AVIC-D2.

Echo 3 no longer belongs to me. Mom's driving it now. Now I drive the Si sedan.
soopa element is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
elemento
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 2WD LX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Question Re: Instrument cluster light bulb color change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan
OK, the answer is yes! The new bulbs are the same size as stock, and they pop right into the quarter-twist mounts. The factory bulbs can be tough to pull out. Will produce a how-to, but in the meantime here are a couple of pix.

Thanks dude!!! Looks good!! Hey never bothered to look at how to get to intrument bulbs but, Is it really easy to get to?
elemento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
soopa element
2003 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to soopa element Send a message via MSN to soopa element

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemento
Thanks dude!!! Looks good!! Hey never bothered to look at how to get to intrument bulbs but, Is it really easy to get to?
Very very easy. Open driver's side door and you'll see a small panel to the left of the instrument panel. This panel will pop right open. Next take a philips screwdriver and remove the screw holding the instrument trim in place. Then after you do so, lower the steering wheel so that it doesn't get in the way. Starting from the left where the screw was, hold tightly and pull towards your body. After that just grab underneath the trim and pull again and it will pop out. Next step is to remove the four screws holding the gauges in place. There are one on each side to the left and right and two at the top. After removal, pull the top of the gauges towards you and remove the two cables that send information and electricity. (Note: I have also noticed that the annoying door open alarm comes from the instrument gauges and that the smaller connector sends information for that and have yet to figure out which wire sends the current for that **** bell). On the back side there are nine sockets. Turn each one counterclockwise and pull out. And there you have it. For installation, just do the reverse of removal.
Hyper Grounding Kit, Infinity 6002si speakers all around, Infinity REF 1011T Tweeters, Hyper White Back up lights and license plate lights, custom exhaust with Magnaflow, AEM Cold Air Intake, DIY red instrument panel bulbs, retrofitted HID with bixenon projectors, Pioneer AVIC-D2.

Echo 3 no longer belongs to me. Mom's driving it now. Now I drive the Si sedan.
soopa element is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
M1 1I 1K 1E
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

is there any benefit geting the incadescent over the LEDs? Should the LED's be plug and play too? thanks!

also...and this may sound like a really really stupid question, but you need to disconnect the (-) side of the car battery when doing this, right?

2005 NBP EX 4WD

Last edited by M1 1I 1K 1E; 02-14-2006 at 04:05 PM.
M1 1I 1K 1E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Tags
dashboard , diy , fuse , gauge cluster , gauges , gear shift , interior , interior lights , led , lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.