Another Battery Replacement question - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #11
Morse
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Re: Another Battery Replacement question

I made it to Costco over the weekend to look at their batteries. After measureing the existing battery and the Costco 51R, it does appear that the Costco 51R battery will fit in the space where the stock battery is without any modification. However, the Costco 51R has a CCA of only 425, not a significant improvement over the 410 CCA of the stock battery. Someone earlier had suggested that the Costco 51R had a CCA of 590, however, this seemed to be the CCA of the next battery over from the 51R in the Costco display rack.

I then went to several battery shops and the 51R battery always had a CCA in the low 400's. The Optima yellow top 51R (also mentioned earlier) has a CCA of 500 and also appears to be an exact replacement. This Optima (#YEL51R) is $170 at Sears (they were out of them at my Costco) - expensive! but a nearly 25% improvement over the stock battery.

I'm guessing that the best you can do is the Optima yellow 51R unless you want to modify the battery hardware. I will probably go with an Optima - it just a matter of whether I want to cram in an oversized (high CCA) Optima or use the smaller 51R Optima?? I will also check out the NAPA battery suggested a less expensive Optima alternative.

Geez....it's just a battery.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

It's the battery finder provided by Johnson Controls that gives a higher CCA battery at Costco. It's the 100 month version that gets as high as 590.

http://www.autobatteries.com/selecto...ear=0&brand=37

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16
Picasa photos
Tire Size Calculator
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
Morse

I didn't notice different warranties but then again I probably missed it. I will head back to Costco and try to find a 51R with a CCA rating of 590. Sounds like a winner.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
Morse

Went to Costco last night. The only 51R battery is a fitment group 11, 425 CCA 36/100 month warranty. Full replacement for the first 36 months and then prorated up to 100 months. I spoke with a Costco employee and they told me that that all their batteries have the 100 month warranty and they only carry the 425 CCA version of the 51R. I could not find car batteries on costco.com. I may try to send an email to Johnson Controls. I did search the web generally and was unable to find any place selling a 550 or 590 CCA 51R battery. Autobatteries.com (which is a Johnson Controls website) says their 550 CCA and 590 CCA 51R batteries are available at Costco but my local Costco says no. I'd buy one online but cannot find anyone selling one??

Perhaps going to a battery specialty shop would help?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

I can understand if cost is a consideration, but don't worry about the difficulty of installing the Optima D31A. It's easy as pie.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 01-11-2007 at 10:21 AM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #16
ol fugly
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Thumbs up Re: Another Battery Replacement question

For everyone's information:

I would buy an Odyssey battery instead. It's a dry cell like the red and yellow tops but much smaller with the same output. Measure your stock battery and compare it to the sizes of the odyssey. Go to batterymart.com or sunnbattery.com. They compete on pricing, one might be lower one day and then the other. They may be calling them Hawker Odyssey now, all I know is one lasted for five years in my Harley. Harley batteries usually are lucky to go two years. All my vehicles have these batteries now except the e since it's brand new but when the time comes...
ol fugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #17
Prkchpsndwiches
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Car Battery

I have read through lots of car battery posts (Including the sticky, which it now stated to be no longer viable). I have heard lots of complaints about the stock battery.

#1. Would you replace a brand new factory battery with a new one?
#2. What battery would you replace it with? Consumer Reports has recommendations for Die Hard and Napa, and states is prefers Napa in colder climates for cold cranking ability (OH here)
#3. What size battery does it take? Late here and the manual is all the way out in the car .

Thanks

Prkchp
Prkchpsndwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
hambone
EOC Rank: Helium

1. No. The stock battery is decent. Consider a battery booster to supplement power requirements.

2. NAPA, Only because Sears boned me on my last two batteries.

3. Fitment Code: 51R CCA: ~500-550
Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
DOGBOX
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Batteries

I've been shopping batteries too. I also looked at a lot of old threads. My impression is that most of the threads on this subject are pretty dated. It would be good to hear what the long-term results are on some of the battery options that have been in use for a couple of years now---the DieHards, AutoZone's, etc.

I was at both Napa and AutoZone a couple of days ago. The AutoZone battery that was recommended on this forum is the 56-DL which has more CCA than the Napa alternative. But it only has a two-year warranty, which seemed kinda short to me. I think the Napa has a longer warranty but less CCA. I am going to check out Costco. My general recollection is that Costco's has a 100-month warranty. I don't know about CCA's. I had a Costco battery in my old truck and it lasted a good 6-7 years. Died after I bought my E and let my truck sit for 2-3 months without starting it. Would not resucitate with a jump starter either. Dead dead.

I'm looking for something with more capacity than the stock because of the trailer and brake controller that I have. I am totally maxing out the stock battery. Mine is 4 years old now, and I can't leave the lights on my car for 3-5 minutes without the battery needing a jump. The stock battery has always been pretty unforgiving about things like that. I own a Black & Decker jump starter and carry it with me at all times. Given my heavy battery use, I'll probably continue to carry it with me, but hopefully I'll find less frequent need for it with a larger capacity battery.

To get to your question, if you can live with a low capacity battery (ie, no heavy accessory use, not forgetful about lights, etc), then your stock will serve you for years. As bad as it is, I've lived with mine for four years, which is the average life for an average battery, I think. In that time, I've called AAA for starts twice then bought my jumpstarter and have used it about 3-4 times. Half of the have come when traveling with trailers and running accessories (radio, sometimes heater or A/C) PLUS the trailer lights. More recently I've also added the brake controller which seems to always be on. And now that the battery is getting old, my most recent drain occurred when I had simply parked the E with the lights on while I ran into the house to get something. Not even 5 minutes and it would not restart. I was not hauling the trailer, but my brake controller and the trailer wiring is always active, I believe. My guess is the E's alternator is barely handling the load. Not an electrician here, just seems that way cause there is nothing NADA left in reserve when I stop.

Last edited by DOGBOX; 06-12-2008 at 10:18 AM.
DOGBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
hownowcb
EOC Rank: Iron
2003 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to hownowcb Send a message via Yahoo to hownowcb
Can't resist, ramblerdan*...my original battery is now five years old, having survived five entire Minnesota winters. I bought a cheap replacement battery at the local farm supply store last November, assuming I'd finally need one. Can't remember for sure, but the brand was probably "Flying Tractor" or some such thing, but it's been sitting on the workbench in the garage getting the occasional trickle charge ever since. I suppose I should change it this weekend for the National Meet, or should I leave the original one in so you can see it for yourself, and bask in the glow of it's awsome power?

*He's suggested my battery may be possessed, or some such thing! ??:

Original, & Shameless Instigator of EOC MISFITS!
hownowcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.