Oil Capacity - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
bobvanjr
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Oil Capacity

OK, I am the pround new owner of a 2004 SMM. I just did my second oil change and am confused about the oil capacity.

The manual says to use 4.4 qts. when replacing the filter. I did so and the level seems to be too low on the dipstick. It's very clean and hard to see so that may be part of the problem. Even when using my Surefire LED flashlight it seems to be level with the lowest hole in the dipstick though.

What has your experience been?

Love the E, BTW.
bobvanjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
cfbales
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Re: Oil Capacity

I had the same experience. Put in 5 quarts, ran the engine until warm then checked oil level again and everything was just fine; not overfilled.
Kid's Car:FIJI BLUE PEARL, HONDA ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS, REAR CARGO TRAY
cfbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
E-nigma
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

I have found 4.4 quarts to be too little as well.

I put in 4.6 quarts, and this puts the oil in the proper range on the dipstick.
'05 EX, AWD, AT, Magnesium Metallic. Thule Roof Rack w/Thule Tandem Mount, Valley 2" Hitch, Honda Trailer Wiring Package, K&N Short-Ram Intake, Murdock Mat, Tinted Front Windows, H.D. Aluminum Grill Screen.
E-nigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
j_m_m
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_m_m

That's funny because I never use more than four quarts. The oil level is always right in the middle of the safe zone, and I check every other time I fill up and it's always in the same spot.

I used to work in an oil change place and sometimes the same exact cars/motors would have slight variations in the amount of oil they took. Oh well as long as the oil is full or in the safe area it should be fine.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
trickyvick
EOC Rank: Neon

I changed my oil this week and was thinking about posting this same post. I put in 4.5 quarts and noticed it checked low. I ended up putting 5 quarts in and it was perfect. I have to assume that 4.4 does not include the filter and the filter holds about a half (or 0.6) quarts. It is always interesting to hear what others are doing but from now on, I will be using 5 quarts every time.

G

Quote:
There is a little known sleeping disorder that causes the sufferer to go for midnight rides of extreme intensity.It's refered to in the medical books as "Feejer Spark-O-Lepsy".
trickyvick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
turnsablindeye
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Send a message via AIM to turnsablindeye
ultimate oil change

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product and it pumped out exactly 5 qts before it couldn't pump anymore. I popped the filter off via removal of the passenger side tire and about a cup came out. I placed a shopping bag over the area that usually catches the spill to avoid gunking up the components. I replaced it with a Fram 7317 filter. Special at Walmart Valvoline 5w20 full synthetic 5qt container $20.50. poured the dirty oil into the empty Valvoline container after refilling and promptly recycled by driving with the fresh blood. good to go

ps. I change between 4-5k miles, leaning closer to 4
Honda: Fog Light Kit, Air Deflector, Carpet Cargo Mat, Privacy Curtain, Ashtray, Table Leg Kit, Center Console Dividers, Locking Gas Cap, Tailgate Spoiler, Cargo Net, Leather Shift Knob w/ copper stitching

Aftermarket: AVS In-channel Vent Visors, eBay tray/cupholder liners

DIY: Rear Outlet Override, Defroster A/C manual select
turnsablindeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I have found if you I let my element stay flat I get aprox 4.5 quarts out.
If I raise the passenger side front with a floor jack (not enough to lift the wheel off the ground) I can get 5 quarts out. Also I don't need to remove the wheel to remove the filter. I just reach over the tire and through the hole. And if you use the oil deflector found here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html
Under the filter It doesn't make a mess.
I use mobile one 5-20 and only change it when it tells me too. (aprox 7k)
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
buttermilk
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2009 2WD LX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

Mine took 5 quarts but I had it on ramps with the front end approx, 8 inches off the ground. I figured thats what made the difference. More drained out with it raised up like that.
buttermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.