How to remove front plastic bumper?? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Paulie420
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD LX
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

How to remove front plastic bumper??

Hey, my ole lady ran into a big chair thats in our garage, denting in the plastic front bumper peice by where the fog lights go if you have them. The plastic is good and dented in of the left hand side. I think if I remove the plastic bumper I could probably just push the plastic back out and see how bad the white creases come out. How can I remove the bumper?

Do I need any new clips or anything to reinstall the bumper when finished? Do I need any other reinstall things?

Is there anything tricky to the job??? Thanks guys...
Keyless Entry, Tinted Fronts & Sunroof, 16" Alloy Wheels
Paulie420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
joeBoxer
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 4WD EX AT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Re: How to remove front plastic bumper??

just had mine off and back on today. download the foglight instructions and the first step is taking off the bumper. you can get them at handa.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementext.html
joeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Bob Walters
2006 4WD EX-P
Other

I posted this info in the DIY section, but it may be worth repeating. Downloading the fog light instruction sheet from Honda (posted at H and A) is a great idea. It shows where all the clips and screws are.

Spend 30 seconds looking at how the sides of the bumper interface with the wheel wheel section. You'll save 10 minutes of head scratching when you put it back on. In the fender well there is a sheet metal screw that goes into a little white nylon captive nut. Don't let that nut get away.

When it comes time to put it back on, position the bumper so as to line up the upper clip holes. I put two tie wraps loosly in the clip holes just outboard of the radiator cover but someone else suggested a pair of screwdrivers. Anyhow, this idea will hold the bumper roughly in place while you fiddle with fitting up the sides to the clips near the fender wells, especially if you don't have a helper. In any case you don't want your new bumper falling off onto the driveway while you're snaping the side pieces into position. Expect to do a lot of wiggling to get the clips and screws back into place. Don't over torque the sheet metal screws inside the fender wells.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
TimD
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Bob gives some good advice. Those little folding side tabs that go between the fender and wheel well area are a little tricky, take a little time and see how they fit. Unless you have a helper to hold one side, securing the panel with ties or whatever while you finesse it into place makes it much easier. I would suggest to get a few extra mounting clips before you start removal, they are inexpensive and are easily damaged or lost as they pop out and fall into oblivion, it'll save you a trip later. I also took out one of the smaller clips on the fender well area and found it to be much tighter than the bumper clips and proceded to snap and break it - live an learn. I am still amazed at how little there is behind the E's front end, the corners seem really unprotected. Of course mine was damage when someone backed into me and perfectly poked just where the bumber beam sticks out so ther was no flexing just destruction.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
dm5272
2010 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

How Are The Clips Removed!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Before I break the clips off - can someone say the HOW the clips are removed?

I am very close to breaking the fender off since I have no patience.

I have looked for two days and the fog lights instructions dont say how either.

:mad:
dm5272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
Empire
EOC Rank: Iron
2003 *Former Element owner

Ok, see that center circular section of the clip?
Notice the flat slots around the base ring beneath it, one on one edge and another adjacent from it.
Pry gently but firmly with a flat screwdriver into the slot and pry under the lip of the center section cap. The cap will begin to lift up. Once it lifts up or completely out, it will loosen the lower ring clip base. Now remove both pieces and you should have an empty hole.

To reinstall, place ring base section of clip into hole first and then insert the center tack shaped section until it clicks and locks.

The center of the clip, once inserted, will push and splay the four hooked end of the ring base section, locking it into the hole.

I've now removed mine so many times that I can easily do it with one hand.

Just don't pry too harshly or the lip of the center section will try to snap off. This won't make the clip useless as the other lip can still be used for removal.
Hella Black Magic Driving Lights, Kenwood In-Dash DVD w/ Navi, Passenger Side Dash Mounted 6" Monitor, Kenwood 7" Flip-Down Monitor, Kenwood Center Speaker, Kenwood 10" Sub, Injen Exhaust, Injen Intake, Fogs, Roof Rack, Sidesteps, Black Billet Grille, Pilot Leather Steering Wheel, 235/70/16 REVOs, Imperial Insignia, Clearance Lights, Manik Brushguard, Enkei RZ-5 Wheels, Custom Autometer Pillar Gauges, Ground wire Kit, Throttle Body Heater By-Pass, Herculined Exterior Panels and...
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Empire

Notice how in those fog light instructions it shows the removed clips with the raised centers.

Hella Black Magic Driving Lights, Kenwood In-Dash DVD w/ Navi, Passenger Side Dash Mounted 6" Monitor, Kenwood 7" Flip-Down Monitor, Kenwood Center Speaker, Kenwood 10" Sub, Injen Exhaust, Injen Intake, Fogs, Roof Rack, Sidesteps, Black Billet Grille, Pilot Leather Steering Wheel, 235/70/16 REVOs, Imperial Insignia, Clearance Lights, Manik Brushguard, Enkei RZ-5 Wheels, Custom Autometer Pillar Gauges, Ground wire Kit, Throttle Body Heater By-Pass, Herculined Exterior Panels and...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
dm5272
2010 4WD EX AT

Unhappy Key Words "Near The Fender"

Empire:
I will copy and print your instructions, thank you very much...
I feel like an @$$ since I was trying to install a FIAMM horn, and I guess I miss-read someones instructions since it stated - the horn was located on the driver side of the fender. But after removing the side Fender "Its not heare! - I see clearly now that it was the front bumper that needed to be removed and the horn was on the driver side NEAR the fender.
FYI my fellow HEOC members - those fender clips are a b!%$# to remove, and are pretty much a one time use only - I found out from the dealer as I paid him approx $3 for EACH plastic clip.
I also purchased ten from the bumper (in case they were also one time as well)- but these look a bit different - so hopefully I wont need them and can return them. And Empire's statement of "I have removed them many times" - give me warm fuzzy feelings that I wont need the new ones.
I've been reading all your postings for over a year - and loosing my cool became my first "posting". I will put my Element info - and pictures, and all that fancy stuff too!
Thanks guys - sorry for loosing my cool
dm5272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Empire

Please do keep posting and give us as many pics as you can during the process. Many, many owners are just like you, wanting to do something, anything to their Element but just haven't found the right guide or pictorial to click that "Holysh!t, I CAN do that!" switch in their motivation department. It's not a case of being lazy, it's just I know the fear of exploring unknown territory and attempting to dig under the flesh of these ugly little cubular beasts. But I've learned tons by just jumping in. Luckily, it's hide is mostly plastic so it's easy and cheap to replace broken or butchered parts. The good thing is you now know how to replace your front fender if the need ever comes about. You actually have one up on me as I've never removed mine..........I'm too scared. :D

But the entire front bumper fascia is a piece of cake.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
IRV
2004 4WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm5272
Empire:
I will copy and print your instructions, thank you very much...
I feel like an @$$ since I was trying to install a FIAMM horn, and I guess I miss-read someones instructions since it stated - the horn was located on the driver side of the fender. But after removing the side Fender "Its not heare! - I see clearly now that it was the front bumper that needed to be removed and the horn was on the driver side NEAR the fender.
FYI my fellow HEOC members - those fender clips are a b!%$# to remove, and are pretty much a one time use only - I found out from the dealer as I paid him approx $3 for EACH plastic clip.
I also purchased ten from the bumper (in case they were also one time as well)- but these look a bit different - so hopefully I wont need them and can return them. And Empire's statement of "I have removed them many times" - give me warm fuzzy feelings that I wont need the new ones.
I've been reading all your postings for over a year - and loosing my cool became my first "posting". I will put my Element info - and pictures, and all that fancy stuff too!
Thanks guys - sorry for loosing my cool
Don't feel ALL BAD about struggling with what other members consider an "easy" job. I've struggled for a week to "remove glove box stops" to change the cabin filters. Of course, I'm an idiot on all things that involve tools and dexterity.

The “SEARCH” function here is fun to use. TRY IT.:)
“LOCATION” provides valuable context to your posts.

Proud member of 2006 misfits!
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php This is Fun!

Right about 185,000 miles 7/23/12. Still going strong!

Last edited by IRV; 07-11-2006 at 10:16 PM.
IRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.