horrible gas mileage - Page 9 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #81
elemento
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 2WD LX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Cool Re: horrible gas mileage

HHmmm I live in Hawaii and I don't got AWD and most of my driving is city driving and I still manage to get around 21.6..Automatic and running a/c..

Last edited by elemento; 03-21-2006 at 02:32 PM.
elemento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #82
dirkfour4
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Send a message via Yahoo to dirkfour4
Re: horrible gas mileage

Just completed a trip from Aurora CO to Muskogee OK through Kansas and back on I40 though Amarillo and up through Raton NM.

The MPG got my attention really quick. This Element had about 11500 on the odometer when we started. Lots of wind through Kansas and I seemed to be getting about 20 mpg. Now I had gotten as high as 34 a couple years ago when I took it out there the first time. Consistently get mid 20's around Denver, so I'm somewhat confused at the drop in mpg. (And yes, I'm in drive :) It's a 03 4WD EX.

So what's the latest? Anyone find a answer yet? The wife and I love this car it just fits us and our lifestyle but the mpg simply has got to be looked at in this day and age!

Thanks for the time guys (oh, also have another 03 4WD EX...30k on it...guess it's time to check the mileage on it too.)
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #83
Sir George Ed
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Fools Rush In Where Angles Fear to Tread . . . .

Discussions concerning the variability of observed fuel efficiency - looks like it's come up several times over the years. Here's my two cents . . .

Number one - they don't call it "the box" for nothing! The Element is not aerodynamically efficient and at highway speed, that is going to dominate the mileage equation. The Element has an unattractive coefficient of drag and to compound the damage, it has a substantial frontal area. The faster you go, the worse your mileage will be - the optimum is likely around 45-50 mph. It takes energy to push all that air out of the way! You can't do anything about the shape of the vehicle but you can control your speed - if getting the best mileage is more important than how long you spend on the road.

One thing that can help is to remove any rooftop carrying equipment that you are not using for your trip. That stuff on the roof is NOT getting a free ride.

The way you drive it is probably the next major variable. Most people arenít going to change the way they drive so just recognize it and live with it.

Then there is all the usual stuff - tire pressure, don't carry unnecessary weight . . . you know the drill.

Anyway, the Element is not going to displace the Honda Insight as the mileage champ of the fleet but it has a functionality that comes at a cost. Itís still better than most small trucks and way better than the larger ones.

. . . I think that was three cents.

S. G.
Sir George Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #84
JeremyDL
EOC Dealer Advisor
2006 4WD EX-P
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Re: Fools Rush In Where Angles Fear to Tread . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir George Ed
Discussions concerning the variability of observed fuel efficiency - looks like it's come up several times over the years. Here's my two cents . . .

Number one - they don't call it "the box" for nothing! The Element is not aerodynamically efficient and at highway speed, that is going to dominate the mileage equation. The Element has an unattractive coefficient of drag and to compound the damage, it has a substantial frontal area. The faster you go, the worse your mileage will be - the optimum is likely around 45-50 mph. It takes energy to push all that air out of the way! You can't do anything about the shape of the vehicle but you can control your speed - if getting the best mileage is more important than how long you spend on the road.

One thing that can help is to remove any rooftop carrying equipment that you are not using for your trip. That stuff on the roof is NOT getting a free ride.

The way you drive it is probably the next major variable. Most people arenít going to change the way they drive so just recognize it and live with it.

Then there is all the usual stuff - tire pressure, don't carry unnecessary weight . . . you know the drill.

Anyway, the Element is not going to displace the Honda Insight as the mileage champ of the fleet but it has a functionality that comes at a cost. Itís still better than most small trucks and way better than the larger ones.

. . . I think that was three cents.

S. G.
Preach it brother ...AMEN.....can I get a AMEN...very well put though. You can't beat what the Element or like my Ridgeline can offer. Gas when you bought it should have been at least 3rd to the 5th thing to worry about. If like above is said you want good gas by a Hybrid.
JeremyDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #85
natsfan05
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

My E gets in the low to mid 20's... you should have yours checked out by a dealership
natsfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #86
Filmcarp
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX MT

My 03 has 24k miles. Low for an 03, but all across Manhattan in stop and go, mostly stop. I get right at 21 mpg, so in response to the first post, It aint the traffic.
Dan Dietrich 2003 EX AWD 5 spd SOP dog and lumber car. Yakima rack. New General Grabbers. Three unswitched outlets in console. EOC decal. Proclip Ipod Mount. Survivor of NYC commute. Great for my 8 year old, and now nearly a collector car with 112k miles across NYC on the same clutch. New bushings, and hatch supports. New Belt and valves adjusted. Here comes the next 100k...I just learned that it was built on 6 August 03 at 9:14 am. I bought it on 14 August.
Filmcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #87
jsandresen1
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

The one suggestion I did not see, which I could have over looked is to consider switching the brands of Gas to see if there is a difference. By the way, as others have pointed out, it is normal to get lower gas mileage on your first 2K miles. However if you have 5 Speed then there is something else going. I have a one week old Element EX-P Tangerine with Automatic 4WD and I am averaging 22 HWY 16MPG City but the car is not broken in yet.

Personally I know they experts at consumer reports say that gas does not make a diffence but I have instances in the past when ever I purchased fuel at Arco all of my cars saw a drop in MPG. I rate Costco and Chevron the best, that is my experince.
jsandresen1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #88
frogpond_1
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX MT

I usually fill up at 295 miles with 13 gallons (aprox.) which equals 22.69. Yes, I do keep a log and this is my norm. I don't go above 77mph and most of my driving is mixed. I used to get Mobile all the time thinking I was getting better mileage. I was averaging 20.5 and then I switched to Shell or Getty and now I am getting on average 2mpg more. Brand, and all the usual suspects as others have said play a major role in MPG. Don't drive 80 or 90!!! Enough said...I'm still very suspicious about those who say they get around the 30 mark, I say BS!!
frogpond_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #89
hownowcb
EOC Rank: Iron
2003 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to hownowcb Send a message via Yahoo to hownowcb

Talk about suspicious -- the original poster is from Iowa! Everyone knows why the north wind is so strong in Minnesota - because Iowa sucks! Apparently, it sucks gas mileage too!?

What did people do before the internet existed? Whine at the wind? :cool:

Original, & Shameless Instigator of EOC MISFITS!
hownowcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #90
HSK_ripper
2005 4WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Angry Re: horrible gas mileage

I am really pissed off at honda about this... My gas mileage hasnt been over 15 - 17 Mpg - EVER!!! I have 6000 miles on the vehicle and do not drive like a bat out of hell. Even when driving slowest, barely accelerating, etc, the most I have gotten is 244 Measly miles to the tank.

This SUCKS.... DAMMIT HONDA I WANT A BETTER MILAGE OR I WANT A DAMNED NEW VEHICLE!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.