Seat rock / TSB 03-032 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-02-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
babyhummer
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Seat rock / TSB 03-032

:( Does anyone else have this problem? When I take off from a stop....the seat rocks back, then when I come to a stop the seat rocks forward!!! It is really annoying!!! I have taken it back to the dealer and they checked it out...nothing loose. We checked out another E in the lot and it did the same thing. The service guy said that the new accords do it also...something about the seat adjustment needing to have 'play'? :(

Please tell me that I am not alone!

[moderator's note]
TSB A03-032 Driver's seat rocks 11/03/06
Attached Images
File Type: pdf a03-032.pdf (162.5 KB, 519 views)
babyhummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
richard_brooks

Send a message via MSN to richard_brooks
My seats in my Element rock too? Anything to do for that? just the drivers side seat though, not the passengers seat.....
very strange.... I noticed it after they put in my armrest.

-Shoreline Mist Element in New York
Old 02-12-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
JamLan

My driver's seat rocks also. More like teeters... forward and backwards. It's as though the seat tracks have too much gap or play. The rocking can be easily reproduced by sitting in the back seat behind the driver's seat and lightly pushing and pulling forward and backward on the headrest. It's not much of a rock but the slight knocking noise is annoying. It may not be as noticeable when the seat is adjusted in other positions? I can’t explain why the front passenger seat is different, though. Perhaps a more thorough investigation over the weekend is in order.
JamLan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
E-4-ME

My E started having the driver's seat rock a few days ago (car is only 2 weeks old). Took a look at left front side of seat to see what was loose and found that the bolt that holds the seat to the car was loose. I used a 9/16" socket wrench and tightened her up - now nice and solid!!

There is a plastic cover over the bolt that just unclips by pulling it forward then snaps right back on.
E-4-ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Tygh

Send a message via Yahoo to Tygh
The dealer told me that the rocking "feature" was designed into the seats. As it gets worse, I will keep taking it back for them to assess the "feature". What a load!!!

'03 Shoreline Mist EX
Tygh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 01:20 AM   #6
Simon
EOC Rank: Oxygen

TSB-03032.

Here's the problem: They just reuse the same parts - just like the CRV. It's not a fix, there's nothing new or differently designed. They take off two bushing and a spacer and install the same parts.

The CRV had the exact same problem and they reused that mechanism on the Element.

The TSB says "WORN-BUSHINGS" - now, how in the HELL do bushings get worn in 900 miles?

Honda needs a fix. This is just a temporary patch. I guess they figure you'll get tired of taking it back. I traded in the CRV, but they never came out with anything permanent for it either. The rocking reoccured in the CRV and Honda knows it will here too.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
Simon
EOC Rank: Oxygen

I was told the "fix" was to replace the bushing and spacers - not add any.

Replace them one for one.

That's what I was told, and that's what I thought the TSB referred to.

It says replace "worn" bushings, how can bushings be worn at 900 miles?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 PM   #8
JHMED

I work for Honda; this bulletin affects ALL Elements. Some owners may experience problems, others may not. I've had mine done. I weigh close to 300 lbs, and the problem has not re-occured in mine. The parts for the bulletin are nothing more than bushing/spacers that take up the slack and make it more firm. The same issue has also been found on the Civic. Hope this helps.
JHMED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
teklon

I printed out the technical service bulletin from Honda about the rocking seat and took it to the dealer.I asked them why I could get repair information from Honda but they could not.I thought things were settled but then the service advisor told me he was not sure that was going to fix the problem.Now two days later they agreed to try the repair but did not think that it was going to help!Is this is Honda's idea of service ?I still really like the vehicle but this quite annoying!
teklon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #10
brendan
EOC Rank: Iron

Send a message via AIM to brendan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teklon View Post
I printed out the technical service bulletin from Honda about the rocking seat and took it to the dealer.I asked them why I could get repair information from Honda but they could not.I thought things were settled but then the service advisor told me he was not sure that was going to fix the problem.Now two days later they agreed to try the repair but did not think that it was going to help!Is this is Honda's idea of service ?I still really like the vehicle but this quite annoying!
I have a suspicion, however, that unless your dealer is completely hopeless, the work they do will fix, or at least reduce, the problem.

The "...but [he said they] did not think it was going to help" sounds like a cover-your-ass move by the service advisor. In other words, they're implying to you that the first time they looked at the problem, it didn't appears to be one fixable by this method that they obviously know about. They'll try this method but still don't think it'll fix the problem.

Yeah, sure...

And if it doesn't, tell them to fix it again anyway! Under warranty! Because, the seat should be bolted down!

-brendan
Valley Hitch/Softride 4-bike rack/Weatherflectors/Cloud Riders/Lots of dirt

Last edited by ramblerdan; 10-05-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: quote code
brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.