LUND vs AVS Bug Shield - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > 'E'ccessories

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
imetalg5
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

LUND vs AVS Bug Shield

Ok, what is the difference in design between the LUND and the AVS (Ventshade) Bug shields?

I only ask because the LUND I put on seems to be making quite a bit of noize and well the guy at Advanced Auto told me to try the Ventshade version. He can order it and have it in on Sun. Morn. He said its cheaper at $50 vs $75 (I got the LUND on sale though).

He says people that use the Ventshade version are happier. But he's never seen one on an E so its a first for him. He looked over the installation of the LUND and he says we put it on correctly from what he can see.

He told me to retun the LUND and get the Ventshade for tomorrow and see what happens. But what is the difference? I thought both are the same co. so there must be a design difference since the AVS is cheaper?

Thoughts?
imetalg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
imetalg5
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

bah, i just went to PepBoys and they had an AVS for the E. One left. I looked at it and it looks very similar to the LUND and this kid actually told me the LUND is way better than the AVS. Said that they are the same company and all but the design of the AVS will cause more wind noize!?!?!?! He let me take it out of the store and I kinda just tried to picture it and the AVS is more sleeker / lower or something than the LUND. The kid just said keep the LUND it looks way cooler :rolleyes:

oh well. not sure what to do... sorry for ranting.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
PVR
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

If you search around the site a bit you will find a fair bit of discussion on the relative merits of the Lund and AVS shields. My take?
-they ARE made by the same company
-neither do much to deflect bugs but do protect the leading edge of the hood
-wind noise for either has not been been the subject of much comment
-the differences between them do not appear to be significant and which is "better" comes down to personal preference.

FYI I have an AVS, I chose it because it was easily available and cheaper than the Lund. No problems with wind noise.
Attached Images

Last edited by PVR; 08-26-2006 at 12:20 PM.
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
imetalg5
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

haha, i "personally" like the looks of the AVS. Looking at your pic it looks more sleeker and more flush maybe. The Lund seems like it should be put on a big truck or something. AVS looks more like the OEM.

I don't know, gonna wait till tomorrow. I can return the Lund and pick up the AVS as both shops are across the street from one another and within 5 mins from me. Spent too much time as is today on something so trivial!

I just don't know about the wind noize but i'll get back to you guys tomorrow... thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
jshust
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Did you have any problems closing your hood with the Lund? I have one ordered but I have heard some problems with the 06 E. I thought everything was the same as far as the hood and fascia on the 06 and earlier models. Most all the comments are very positive on 05 and down. Does your Lund touch the fascia at all? I am concerned with paint damage if it contacts it.
jshust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
imetalg5
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

a bad day.

my wife's TL got a flat in the downpour and i had to change it to the spare...

anyway i exchanged the LUND for the cheaper AVS. Now I'm not sure if I should have because of some small issues.

First off the LUND did leave its mark on the plastic when slamming the hood shut. The hood closed but it "hit" everytime. So it left a mark. The LUND did not touch the facia as far as I could tell BUT it did hit it upon closing. Leavin a nice small dent in the plastic on one side only.

now i tried to install the AVS and I wanted to throw the thing out! whoever made those idiotic "screw" things to hold it in did not do a good job. The screws would not hold it in and basically it was a ROYAL PAIN. I finally got it on doing it "my way" but I have a bad feeling its not the best way. I lost a few plastic inserts in the engine (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh) and I got totally frustrated. So I just used the original inserts that holds the weather strip in to hold the visor in place. Then the weather strip went over it BUT the 4 points of where those inserts go in are not through the weather strip. So the weather strip covers those 4 points.

Now here is the problem, on one side the hood doesn't sit flush. Its "off" a tiny bit. So now I'm thinking I don't know what to do. Should I just return it? I admit I like the look but I don't want it to mess anything up. Like water getting into the engine, having the hood slightly off (not flush). I don't know. I guess I need a break from all this. Did too much today. :sad:
Old 08-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
jshust
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I don't know...I want to give my E all the protection I can, but not damage it in the process. There are so many choices and opinions! It's enough to drive ya nuts. I was going to put the Honda bra on, then read horror stories about it. Now the bug shield problems. The Magnabra sounded good til I read problems similar to the Honda part. I have no problem taking the nose mask on and off to dry it, I just don't want it damaging the paint by fluttering around or trapping crap behind it. The 3M clear film might be a choice too, but that would offer no protection for the windshield. And I doubt it would be easily removeable. So maybe I will just keep my E in the garage and never drive it. That's the only way to keep it in pristine condition.
jshust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
ron"E"boy
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 2WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

On the AVS make sure you put the sheild between the hood and the rubber under the hood..The screws and the plastic connectors will fit just fine. :)
ron"E"boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
imetalg5
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneboy
On the AVS make sure you put the sheild between the hood and the rubber under the hood..The screws and the plastic connectors will fit just fine. :)
i tried but for whatever reason those screw things would not hold the visor in. I really tried hard and the screws kept popping out so finally i got so fed up i just put them directly in and the rubber goes over the screw. I know i know. But i swear it didn't work. Maybe when it stops downpouring out I'll try it again. So far i drove with it and no more whistle or noize. But when it dries out I'll have to check everything over and see if I can "re-do" this botched job i mean its not that bad but i feel weird about having the rubber go OVER the screw rather than the screw/plastic connector going through rubber then into visor.

Regards to the shield hitting the facia/plastic, The AVS does it also i noticed. I used a dremel to cut down on the one side that keeps hitting. Took a tiny bit off as to not disturb the shape too much (since it looks like its made to drain water out). Then I took a velvet velcro circle patch and put it at the wear points. I mean i seldom open the hood anyway but maybe vibration will cause more scraping, etc...

this kind of mark/dent in the plastic doesn't bother me. i mean cars are going to get nicked, scratched, etc... no matter what. you have to drive them so I know its impossible to keep a car in prestine condition. You can do your best but its gonna get dirty and chips/scuffs/scratches/dings can happen at any time. So no need to fret about it. Just do your best at preventing all that and keep the car clean inside and out...

Last edited by imetalg5; 08-27-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
crackerjax
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EXS MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

That bugs me!

I had the Lund, the Wade, and the AVS. The lund did not fit well due to warped mounting tabs and made a lot of noise. The hood was a quite a bit harder to close. The Wade came next and the quality was poor. The mounting tabs were really warped. Mounted, it was a bitch to close the hood. The AVS was my last attempt and I was very pleased with the quality of fit and finish.The Hood closes with almost no extra effort at all. Lund and AVS may both be owned by the same company but they are not the same shield. I had both, or rather all three, side by side and the differences are easily noticeable. Still have the Wade (refunded) as neither Wade or the parts people wanted to pay return shipping.
crackerjax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > 'E'ccessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.