Honda Element Owners Club banner

Folding Table/Shelf Mod. Alternative to Spare Cover table? +Access.

79K views 141 replies 67 participants last post by  emulous 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone notice my shower rod?

Was looking towards making a shelf for the cargo area and thought about going to Lowes for plywood when I stumbled upon this at Target.com. (Well, Wal-Mart first, but Target had the black one :)) It may look thin from the pictures, but it's pretty sturdy for a folding table. I think it could hold maybe 50-75 pounds with some bending. I'm not using it to hold heavy stuff (that's what the bottom is for!). Just felt like having "shelves" to place things is quite the convenience.

Got some kitchen liner to put over the table. Gives it more of a gripping surface.

Table in place along with cargo net and Case Logic organizer from Walmart. Gonna need to get some bungee cord to tie it down with.

Strapped down so it doesn't jump up or move forward if I hit a bump or something.

Couldn't use the rear outlet to plug in the flashlight so I bought the two plug adapter and put it under the strap.

See less See more
#2 ·

Solution to small eBay console cup holders?

Why not put one in the back? :) Comes in a 4 pack.

And if you're wondering if you can put the seats up, here's your answer. Although, it's a little more harder since the table gets in the way of the seat reclining so I had to gradually push the chair up and recline.

#4 ·
Looks good...part number or price paid? Thanks, Tim

#5 ·
#6 ·
I am wondering. Did you leave the legs on or take them off?

Also, where are the straps hooked to?

Great idea!

#8 ·
BrownSquirrel said:
I am wondering. Did you leave the legs on or take them off?

Also, where are the straps hooked to?

Great idea!
Left them on. They just fold up and under the table. They don't come off unless I unscrew them from the table. :) Which is good, since I could just take it out, pull down the legs and have my a table set up in no time.

The straps are looped around the table and hooked onto the two hooks under the seats.

Farther said:
What a great idea. That has to be better than putting legs on the spare tire cover and probably cheaper. You could probably carpet that thing too. Thanks for sharing!
I was thinking about that but the top of the table is soft vinyl, but I'm sure you can glue it on someway. Just went the quick route and chose the kitchen liner.

#10 ·
Cool, Thanks for the info. Might have to go to wal-mart/target and get the table and do this myself.

Great idea!

#12 ·
Blank said:
Was looking towards making a shelf for the cargo area and thought about going to Lowes for plywood when I stumbled upon this at Target.com...
Outstanding idea... thanks for the post. That's why I love this place!

Just one question: How much room do you have to recline the rear seats with the table installed? I ask because I found this on the WalMart site and it's 24" deep compared to 20" on the one you bought. ($40 vs. $30.)

Again, thanks!

Attachments

#13 ·
I'm not sure how much it was reclined but it was one click from the back being upright. It has about maybe 3-4 inches (maybe more) to spare between the closed tailgate and the chair. I think it could fit snuggly in that space without much movement.

#14 ·
Great job. I made my shelf from 3/4' piece of plywood and covered it with carpet. I notched out a place on the right side so I could access the 12v outlet. I use my E for work, and went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and found a drawer unit that fit perfectly under the shelf. I have two of these units side by side, they hold a lot of parts and don't move around at all. Drew:)

#15 ·
lifeizgood said:
Outstanding idea... thanks for the post. That's why I love this place!

Just one question: How much room do you have to recline the rear seats with the table installed? I ask because I found this on the WalMart site and it's 24" deep compared to 20" on the one you bought. ($40 vs. $30.)

Again, thanks!
Lifeizgood;
If you go with this table, please let us know and include pictures. Looks like a nice table; large, and folds small. Should be very sturdy, folded in the back of the "E". Just the question of 'fit' and rear seat folding. I'll wait for others to find the 'perfect' solution. Really like the idea.

#17 ·
Beckysdad said:
OMG I already have one of those Target folding tables!!!!

Now I have to buy an E. :D

Sounds like a great idea to me!

#18 ·
Lifeizgood,

I have that same table for camping and the top is very thin. When folded it may be stronger with the legs inside and the whole table doubled up. But I wouldn't put too much weight on it. I think Blank's table would be a much better way to go.

#19 ·
rogwild said:
Lifeizgood;
If you go with this table, please let us know and include pictures...
Absolutely, rogwild!

PopUpSteve said:
Lifeizgood,

I have that same table for camping and the top is very thin. When folded it may be stronger with the legs inside and the whole table doubled up. But I wouldn't put too much weight on it. I think Blank's table would be a much better way to go.
Thanks for the input, Steve. I plan to check them both out today. Deborah has a $10 Target gift card and I have about $15 left on a WalMart gift card so whichever way I go, it's going to be cheap. :D

I'm hoping the Coleman will work for several reasons:

~ Double the space.
~ Height-adjustable legs - 22" to 28".
~ Stability - the end legs are connected at the bottom.
~ Metal for longer life...I suspect the other table top might be fiberboard. Hey Blank! Can you answer that one for me please?

When we camp we leave a lot of stuff out for the duration, so construction is going to be important.

#21 ·
That is awesome. I bought the table legs off of another EOC'er but I might pick one of these up anyway. I like that it also acts as a cargo cover to hide what we migbht have in the back.

#22 ·
lifeizgood said:
~ Metal for longer life...I suspect the other table top might be fiberboard. Hey Blank! Can you answer that one for me please?...
I found the answer... it's particle board:
• Great for parties or for poker night
• Multipurpose, rectangular-shaped folding table
• Easy slide-action leg locks engage automatically when opened
• Particle board top is covered with black vinyl
• 28Hx48Wx20D"

#23 ·
Which is better? I'm not very wood-type savvy. :)

I'm possibly thinking about taking off the vinyl and nailing a thin piece of plywood on top for added strength. Maybe add a block of wood underneath the table to support the middle that has the ability to be pushed up, underneath the table like the legs. Maybe get it done in the near-future.

#116 ·
I made a plain shelf out of Ply wood , I rarely have a rear passenger but in the event of a collision the ply wood will transmit the force directly to the seat backs , not the best thing to happen. nice mod , tool boxes / gallons of paint all fit underneath the shelf , doubling the flat area for carrying ' stuff ' ;-)

#24 ·
lifeizgood said:
I'm hoping the Coleman will work...
The verdict is in. 24" depth won't fit in the back of my '05 E with the seats in their regular position.

We were out for 3 hours today and I couldn't find the Coleman, but found a really nice Cosco table (24x48") at Walmart with a thick molded plastic top for $30. Bought it, tried it, returned it. :sad:

Thanks, Blank, for the great idea. I'm going to keep looking for something. I'll let you all know what I find that meets my upgraded expectations. :)

#25 ·
Blank said:
Which is better? I'm not very wood-type savvy. :)

I'm possibly thinking about taking off the vinyl and nailing a thin piece of plywood on top for added strength. Maybe add a block of wood underneath the table to support the middle that has the ability to be pushed up, underneath the table like the legs. Maybe get it done in the near-future.
I suggest you remove the particle board and replace it with a same size piece of 1/2 plywood and then glue carpeting to that. That should withstand any reasonable weight you place on it.

#26 ·
I just bought this table at Target, almost could not find it. I was looking in the camping section, it turns out it is in the furniture section. It was dark and raining when I bought it, so I didn't get a chance to play with it. But so far it looks like it is a keeper. Thanks for the idea.

Blank, where did you buy the shelf liner? I looked in the kitchen section but all they had was 18" and some hideous colors. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.