Honda Element Owners Club banner

No sound from radio

23K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Derek 
#1 ·
I'm hoping somebody can assist. I recently was using my truck for some music over Memorial Day. The battery died and we jumped it the next day. The battery I was connecting to was much larger than mine and we did have a lot of sparks and some smoking.

I switched to a smaller vehicle to jump from and finally got it all started. I then tried to turn on the radio and there was no sound. I tried FM/AM/CD/AUX and nothing emits sound. When in the CD move you can see the tracks changing. I can tell that the system is working, just no sound.

Any thoughts as to what may have happened or how to fix?

Thanks!!
Jason

#4 ·
bh241 said:
Is the radio the only thing that doesn't work?

Fuses?

the sparks and smoke thing worrys me...
At first the auto up and down on the driver window wasn't working, but that was at last test. Other than that, the only thing I've noticed is the radio. Is there some kind of internal amplifier for the speakers that runs on its own fuse?? The sparks and smoke had me very worried.... Memorial Day and no garages open in a small mountain town... could have been bad :(

Jason

#5 ·
lwclancers said:
you probably blew a handful of fuses related to speakers and amp
i've been trying to find a photo online of the fuse box... but nothing yet. I'll have to check that out when I get home tonight.

Jason

#6 ·
#10 ·
dparrothead1 said:
One never knows!!!!
I did get the "code" when I first jumpped the battery. I put in my correct code and then everything displays fine but with no sound. I did check that website www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/ and was able to find a diagram of the fuse box along with a fuse#7 that says "audio amp" I'm going to replace that as soon as I get home tonight :) I think I may be back in business!!

Thanks everybody :)
Jason

#12 ·
dparrothead1 said:
That's great that all you had to do is repace a couple of fuses!!!!!! Now, get those tunes cranked UP!!!!!
Hopefully that's it... I'll replace the fuse tonight and hopefully have that thing cranked back up tonight!! Do you know if it's worth upgrading the sub or is it fairly decent to just leave? I'm always looking for that better sound :)

#14 ·
lwclancers said:
Did you try reading the manual? :confused: :rolleyes: the fuse boxes (both of them) have layouts in it.

I was at work when originally posting and was hoping to get an idea online before I got home to the manual. I was given a good website that had a nice illustration and the size of the fuses so I was able to stop at Radio Shack on the way home. I think I should be up and running soon :D

#16 ·
First, let me qualify this by saying I do not mean this to be rude at all; I'm just trying to keep you from blowing yourself up.
:razz:

To avoid future issues, you may want to check into how to properly jump start a vehicle.
The size of the battery should not matter as long as it is a nomal 12V car battery and you use the cables properly.

You could jump a group 51 battery with a group 31 and it should not create sparks and smoke.

Just a tip.
:D

#17 ·
Just by your post about sparks and smoke I would say that it was hooked up backward. Just like the last post it does not make any differance on the size of the battery but the voltage or polarity. If that happened with your key on it will damage the amp and the fuse should protect it. Ran a towing company and had a couple of my drivers that had done that accidently and both lost the radio. Best way to prevent any chance of a accedent is always hook the neg jumper cable to somewhere on the block and hook it up last.

#18 ·
I have the same problem and need some advice...needed a jump and cables were reversed. That fried the cables and blew the amp. Tried to replace the amp fuse and it sparked. Mechanic said I need to replace the amp and said he wasn't quite sure about the price but around $600.

Any advice? Can I replace the amp on my own? If so, any instructions? I really don't feel like paying big bucks to listen to my radio again.

#19 ·
so someone reversed that jumper cables and all that it messed up was the amp? it will "spark" when you replace the fuse as there are capacitors in the amp that are charging, just like when you take the battery terminal of and put it back on a few minutes later. does the fuse blow when you put it back in or just spark when you plug it in? and have you put the radio code in since you drained the battery? just trying to make sure you really need to replace the thing before you spend the money unecissarily

#20 ·
First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to respond...really appreciate any help anyone can provide. So let me get to your questions.

Yes, fortunately the only thing that got messed up was the amp. The cables melted and popped off immediately but everything else if fine. Probably pretty darn lucky. Yes, the fuse blows when I try to replace it. I tried twice and a mechanic tried once. And yes on the radio code. The radio gets power and functions but since the amp is blown nothing comes through the speakers.

Is the amp something a novice can replace or should I bring it in to be serviced? And finally any suggestions on places to have it installed...Best Buy, etc? Thanks again.

#21 ·
buy a new radio and bypass the amp in the passenger kickpanel, or start looking for one at a junk yard, cuase they are expensive. not hard to bypass or even to replace, just expensive, and the original radio cant work without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.