Can Element pull an empty small horse trailer? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
rmg1341
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Can Element pull an empty small horse trailer?

I need to move 9 animals from Colorado to Virginia. I have 5 dogs, 3 parrots and a cat. Seems like cramped quarters, even for my 2003 manual element. Can I pull a small horse trailer, and put the dogs or parrots in it?? How do I figure out the weight of the horse trailer, read somewhere that it can pull up to 1500 pounds. Any moving advice greatly appreciated.
thanks,
ruth
rmg1341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Rocket Dog
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2004 4WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Some suggestions. Google the make and model horse trailer and see if you can find the mfg specs for trailer weight or contact the mfg directly.
Second, contact a riding stable or large animal vet and ask them if they know offhand what the weight is of a single trailer plus the "average" horse.
Offhand, I would say the Element is a bit light to be hauling a horse trailer plus horse around.

Finally, here are a couple of links that might be helpful:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...d=4915&posts=5

http://www.infohorse.com/html/trailerchoices.asp

http://horses.about.com/od/basiccare...ngvehicles.htm

Rocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
EXwSCnose
EOC Rank: Neon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg1341
I need to move 9 animals from Colorado to Virginia. I have 5 dogs, 3 parrots and a cat. Seems like cramped quarters, even for my 2003 manual element. Can I pull a small horse trailer, and put the dogs or parrots in it?? How do I figure out the weight of the horse trailer, read somewhere that it can pull up to 1500 pounds. Any moving advice greatly appreciated.
thanks,
ruth

Build your own!!! Buy the ready frame at Harbor Freight and slap some plywood , Lexan, and carpet on it. You can keep a low profile, (Are the dawgs Pomeranians or Newfoundlands?) and raise it a bit in the back for the parrots (Are they Parrotlets or Hyacinth Macaws?).
The Parrotlets and the Pomeranians can all travel in the glove box...
EXwSCnose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Rocket Dog
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2004 4WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Duh..re-read your post. So...trailer weight w/o the horse. Might work.

Why not (as was suggested) build a trailer based on the HF red trailer? One other thing, think about what happens to the animals in the event of a collision. Just a thought, I know its impossible to protect against everything.

Rocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
fishlee
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EXS MT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

trailer registation

look on the trailer registation.. it may have the trailer weight on it.. :)

edit
p.s. take the trailer to a place that weights your vehicle and trailer... you can pay or take a load of newspaper, card board... to a recycler, some places usually weight your car and trailer full, than you empty the recycled stuff , and than the recycler weights you again empty, and pay you for the paper..

Last edited by fishlee; 05-29-2007 at 10:56 PM.
fishlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
rmg1341
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

need ideas of how to move animals

I'm overwhelmed at the thought of moving the critters. I have four small dogs, one large dog, one hyacinth macaw, one greenwing macaw, one amazon, and one cat. I'm not handy enough to build a trailer, thought about that one for a few minutes. The element is a very adaptable and wonderful car, but I'm gonna be hard pressed to fit everyone in. I'm gonna keep working on this, any suggestions would be great. thanks for all the good thoughts,
ruth
rmg1341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
EXwSCnose
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg1341
I'm overwhelmed at the thought of moving the critters. I have four small dogs, one large dog, one hyacinth macaw, one greenwing macaw, one amazon, and one cat. I'm not handy enough to build a trailer, thought about that one for a few minutes. The element is a very adaptable and wonderful car, but I'm gonna be hard pressed to fit everyone in. I'm gonna keep working on this, any suggestions would be great. thanks for all the good thoughts,
ruth

Well Okay, this might work... Put a screen barrier behind the front seats, take out the back seats, pour all the critters in the cavern and let them sort it out.
Noooo, that won't work... How finnicky are the birds? Can you roll them into a towel for a few hours, the Hyacinth is an incredibly beautiful bird with a huge wingspan and long tail feathers, and a beak that makes every nut shudder.... Can you subcompartement the birdcage so that you can fit all three birds in one cage. The cat goes into the travel box and the passenger footwell, and the dawgs take up the remaining back room...
EXwSCnose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Hondamade4dogs
2004 2WD EX
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Yes you can ! Or get a Dog trailer
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
scorsone
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 4WD EX MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

a single horse trailer is not all that heavy and the animals you plan on putting in there would not add too much weight. Just be sure you secure any crates you place in the trailer because one good highway bump could give the animals a good jolt.

Long live the EOC Buccaneers.
scorsone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.