Civic Hybrid MPG 7/3

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeQBF 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally hit the magic number!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
MR. BOA said:
Wow! 50 mpg is fantastic. I get about 6-7 mpg in my van.:mad: Were you driving on the highway or in town? Feul mileage like this is what got me interested in the Element. Does the regular Element do this good too?
Just so you're clear on this, he is talking about his Civic Hybrid. Nothing to do with the Element other than his membership here, and there is no such thing as a hybrid Element. This is the Other Cars, ... section.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info MikeQBF. I didn't realize that there are no hybrid Elements. Do you know if they will be made in the future? That would be a great combination.

Sorry 1stpik I didn't mean to steer you're post off course. That 50 mpg is still great though. The feul savings should pay for your car in no time.:)

#5 ·
1stpik said:
Finally hit the magic number!
My 2006 HCH II:

See Complete Pics of this HCH II on below Link:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/even...-amazing-vehicle-at-hybridfest-2006-1385.html

Here is the Link to this Thread I notice the Pics did not show when I Copied & Pasted this: See Post #4

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/hond...n-hch-ii-on-tigers-easter-trip-to-ky-548.html

Just read this om Edmunds.com and thought you might enjoy seeing my FE (Fuel-Economy) Numbers.

Mr. Honaker should have said, that this was to see what the HCH II would do for FE without any {Assistance-At-All} from the {Driver}. Test was to see how the Hybrid does on it's (Own) without any (Additional-Help). If the HCH II would get "Above" the EPA Rating with {No-Help}, then can you just Imagine what the HCH II could get with all the (Hypermiling Technique's) that xcel and others here at www.CleanMPG.com do. Blushing, Sorry I did not make this alot "Clearer".

This is a Scanned copy of the Gas Receipt for the, 4.069 Gallons of Gas:

Picture of the Fuel Gauge Reading before I refilled Gas-Tank:

It looked like to me that there was 3-Squares down from Full.
As you can see, one could certainly drive a, Very-Very Long Way
based on the Amount of Fuel (Used) and the Amount of Fuel (Left)
in Tank.

Picture of the, Odometer Reading of the, Miles-Driven
and the MPG that the Computer Figured:

I also took the time to, Calculate the, Exact MPG Based on the Gallons
to Refill the Tank. See: Below

The actual MPG figure is: 66.7 MPG

This is Based on the Amount of Gallons (4.069) to Refill the Tank.
The Miles Driven: 271.4
That gives us the above MPG Figure of: 66.7 MPG

As many of us already know. The on board computer is somewhere between 2-3 MPG short of the actual MPG that the Hybrid gets.

I think what is really interesting about this example here is that it was done in the following manner. I set the
(Cruise Control) on 55 MPH and "Never" did anything else to achieve higher MPG . Not (Anything) at all. The car did it all from "Start to Finish".
The only exception to this, is I did not turn on the A/C System. It was not Hot so I did not use it. I set the temperature where I wanted it and the car took care of the rest. The fan speed varied as it warmed up but it was never uncomfortable.
I did nothing else but sit back and listen to the X/M Satellite Radio. One more thing.
I Never-Stopped, to take a break or the usual Bathroom thing. I drank nothing and did not eat until I got to my destination in Ky. I say this only to be Honest and not Mislead anyone.
The HCH II far exceeds the EPA estimate on Hwy. Mileage. I personally wanted to see for myself what the Hybrid could do on it's own and I have to tell you that this car will get it done and you as the Pilot have to do nothing but point it in the right direction. In my case I told the Navagation the Address and from there on the car took care of everything.

Remember that the MPG of 66.7 was done with No-Assistance from the Driver.
Just try to imagine what this HCH II could do with all the (Hypermiling-Technique's) that the Members here like, Xcel (Wayne), Tbaleno,(Tom), Krousdb, Ericbecky and the other members here know how to do. If I am not, just way off, it looks like to me that the HCH II is in the, Ball-Park of the Insight. Don't PANIC Insight owners I am just pointing out that for this car to be a sedan and not a Light-Weight it is really quite impressive. (IMHO) of Course.

Yes, I realize the Insight is still, The-King.

Note* For those reading this: Starting-Mileage on this Hybrid was, 584-Miles an still has the Break-In Oil in the Engine. No Mobil 1 0-20 Synthetic; (YET).This was done from a starting point in Franklin, Tn. to the small town of Sadieville, Ky. The trip from my house to Ky. is some Flat Areas. But mainly it is driving Up-Hill from Tn. Also you are climbing Up-Hills and then the car is holding the set speed of 55 MPH so you do not get the Benefit of Coasting with the ICE-OFF. I say this to let everyone know that where I live and traveled to is not the best for increased FE . Way to many hills being climbed and None of the Benefite of the Hypermiling Technique's that would let the car gain back those lost MPG while ICE is Working-Overtime to Climb those hills one after another. If I chose to get back the Lost MPG in FE from Climbing those Hills, I think the FE would be in the (70's). The reason I say this is because in the beginning of the trip I was on more Flat-Ground and the computer had a read out of (72-73 MPG) and don't forget that the Computer is short by "2-3 MPG". The MPG for the 1st 116 Miles had a reading of (72-73 MPG) and now add to that The (Lost 2-3 MPG) and you would be somewhere in the Ball Park of, (74-76 MPG). I am adding these comments for those that live in the States & or Countries that are Flatter in Nature than where I live and was driving to in my trip. Keep in mind once again that I did not choose to {Help} out the Hybrid's FE by doing at the (Bare Minimum the FAS) {Forced Auto-Stop). So I did not recover Lost MPG on the Climbing of the Many-Many Hills with the Gaining of that back on the Down-Side of the Hills with using the (Fas Technique). For those living and driving in the much "Flatter Areas" your FE would be more I think in the
(74-76 MPG Range at a Speed of 55 MPH).

Good-Luck all on your FE , it's certainly there if (You-Want-It).

See Pics of (Tigers) 719.3 Miles Driven on 1-Tank of Gas:

Here is a Tank of Fuel I did:

Here are the Links to this Tank:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/the-...s-7193-miles-driven-on-1-tank-of-gas-680.html

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/hond...h-ii-beyond-0-bars-on-the-fuel-gauge-666.html

For the Un-Belivers that these {Hybrids-Do-Not-Perform} I say, "HUM-BUG" on Them.

Hope you all enjoy the Thread here with Pics and Links:

Terry (tigerhonaker)

tigerhonaker@cleanmpg.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tigerhonaker : 04-18-2006 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Used Scanner on High Resolution for Gas Receipt:

#6 ·
OK, tigerhonaker and 1stpik. Your bluff is being called. After years of pooh-poohing hybrids, this morning I traded-in my hard-to-find 2007 Civic Sedan LX 5-speed on a 2007 HCH. I had better be seeing 50+ mpg by next week or you guys are toast.

:D

#8 ·
I was wondering if you'd pick up on this, Jimmy. I could no longer ignore that the 2nd gen hybrids were showing real-world results. Still, the economics were only there with the HCH because it was (still) eligible for the $2100 tax credit.

I drove a Prius last week and was astounded how cramped the cabin was. Terrible long-trip car. Yet it's classified bigger than the Civic. I guess it's because it's a hatchback and all the "trunk" cu.ft. get counted into the cabin. Plus I detested the "video game" dash. I wanted to put my fist through it by the end of the test drive.

Anyway, there were a number of things that were annoying me daily about the Civic LX and I was getting tired of dealing with it. Some were mostly purely LX issues - no remote trunk and no 2nd power outlet, to mention a couple. We probably wouldn't be here if it was an EX. But there was also this 5 mpg "hit" from running the A/C that was mocking me at every fill-up, yet when stopped in traffic and idling it would always blow hot air. HCH fixes that.

We'll see how it goes. My wife thinks I'm nuts. What's really funny is that the HCH is the same color as the LX, and my neighbors are going to be allowed to think that I just got new wheels and a spoiler. :wink:

#9 ·
How much of a hit did you take for straight dollars? Not factoring in gas and tax credit, etc?

Just curious. People thought I was crazy for trading the E for the Accord because they think I took a wash....but I didn't...all people look at is straight $ for $.

#12 ·
Running all the numbers together, it looks like around $7000. IOW, the MSRP differential between the LX and the HCH (HCH is not cheap!), then losing $2-3K in the six months of driving the LX. Definitely no bargain, but not all that bad for an early trade-in, really. The trade was within reason. I might have saved a K-buck by selling it to my sister who is replacing her 20-y-o Civic, but by the time I drove it the 1000 miles and airfare, etc., that K gets eaten up quickly.

Hydrogen? Very funny, Larry. :rolleyes: 'HCH' is hybrid insider-speak for Honda Civic Hybrid. Sticker is $23,190 out the door, although even though they're not under the year-end promotion program they split the diff against invoice on mine. All hybrids use a CVT, which is where roughly 25-30% of the mpg savings come from.

I'm momentarily fascinated with the "stoplight shutdown". Brake from speed to under 5 mph and the engine shuts off. Let off the brake, engine starts. Sometimes you'll feel it start, but most of the time it's transparent. It doesn't work well in stop-and-go "creep" since you have to get some speed for it to start the cycle again - the first time you let off the brake it will restart and then not stop again.

However, it makes the annoying old farts 'n' biddies who stop 'early' at signals and then creep forward even that much more annoying. You stop, they creep forward two or three carlengths, and then you have the choice of leaving the big gap in front of you or letting off the brake and running the engine during the wait when you wouldn't normally have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.