Cost to replace starter in an '03 element - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Ask The Dealer

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Centauri
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Cost to replace starter in an '03 element

Hey, I was wonder if anyone knows approximately how much it should cost to replace the starter in an '03 element at the dealership. They're charging me $970 and it looks like a starter online costs between $150 and $280. Is replacing a starter a lengthy procedure? or am i just getting ripped off??

Thanks!
Centauri is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Hey, I was wonder if anyone knows approximately how much it should cost to replace the starter in an '03 element at the dealership. They're charging me $970 and it looks like a starter online costs between $150 and $280. Is replacing a starter a lengthy procedure? or am i just getting ripped off??

Thanks!

Replacing the starter is a real pain in the butt...i would get a quote from a couple other dealers to compare. The starter is in a real bad spot to get out....and if it is seized into the tranny housing it gets that much worse to change.
lizzurd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Centauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Tech View Post
A thousand dollars for a starter? Yes, you are getting ripped. And bent over - dry.

Warranty pays 2 hours, most techs will want at least 3 hours customer pay. An experienced tech will have it done in less than an hour - it looks a lot worse to do than it actually is. I'm at home right now, so I can't check the price on the part, but your total quoted price seems VERY high.
Unfortunately i already had them replace the part since i need the car back tomorrow. From what i saw online it looks like a starter should cost $300 max. How much do techs charge for an hour of work?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Dom.five
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2006 4WD EXS AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
How much do techs charge for an hour of work?

That depends on the dealer! One area Honda dealer charges 110$ an hour. The one I go to Charges 95$ per Hour. They are less than 15 miles apart from each other. Go figure !

Understand that's what the dealer Charges, Not what he pays the techs.

Dom
Home made Grill guard, Blacked out lower front bumper trim,and Grill, Undercoating, Vent-Visors, Bug deflector, EOC Sticker, Honda Floor mats, Honda Wheel locks, Eurotech Engineering Fog lights, Dual tone Horn from a junk Caddie, Oh and the 2.98$ walfart windshield tint strip, that's got to go when EOC puts one out. U-haul hitch with factory Honda harness. Garmin GPSmap276C True, I've been IRV'ed , : Misfits waNNAbe's

We love our E's !! ___ We are A 2 E family !
Dom.five is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
Centauri

So if the part costs $300 max that means that $700 of the price was labor, and if it took 3 hours to replace they're charging like $230 an hour!!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
vandstra
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 2WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

After reading this thread I got curious and I called my local Honda dealership. I asked service what it would cost to replace the starter on an '03 and they said $570.00. They would even give me a loaner. I would start dialing Honda customer service if I were you.
Rear mats
Secure storage bin
Company lettering
vandstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Ask The Dealer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.