Lower control arm bushings torn - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
calvin13
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Lower control arm bushings torn

How many of you have had torn lower control arm bushings? The right side tore at about 50k and the left is now torn at 85k. Bad design, bad rubber or just not so good luck? Stock setup.
calvin13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
94Sleeper
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Just replaced both and a motor mount at 80K. The front control arm bushings (compliance bushing) are a poor design. Search for "Compliance Bushing" and you will see at least a couple of others with this same failure.
94Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
saintmickey
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Send a message via AIM to saintmickey Send a message via MSN to saintmickey Send a message via Yahoo to saintmickey
Yep

Yep must be a poor design/bad rubber. I was just told mine were "cracked" and need to be replaced ASAP. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I notice no shake or vibration at all yet...or whatever you experience when they are real bad.

I will replace when they go completely bad but not yet...how "critical" are these?
saintmickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Blaine B.
2003 4WD EX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

My Father has a 2003 Element 4x4. The passenger side control arm bushing (the only bushings on the entire vehicle that aren't solid) is completely torn, and the control arm is clunking around on the frame. I thought the noise was a bad CV shaft until I took a further look and saw that the bushing was entirely torn. The driver side bushing isn't entirely torn but has big cracks.

It just has over 100,000 miles. It has probably been torn for about a year and a half or so, but I don't drive it and he doesn't notice these sort of things. The tire on that side was also wearing more on the outside edge.

I bought new front ball joints and the front bushings to install. I am not going to mess with the other bushing on the front control arms because they are perfect and don't have any tears or anything. Also all of the rear control arm bushings are in perfect shape. It is just these odd front bushings on the front control arms that are worn, probably because of their design of not being entirely solid, probably to reduce road vibrations, but then also lessen the life of the bushing....STUPID!
Blaine B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Gilboy
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Not soilid for a reason

The compliance bushings are not solid for a reason. By having solid rubber in two areas and openings in others it allows the bushing to be more "compliant" (flexible) in one direction than the other. Fairly common in many cars these days (IE Chevy Cobalt and even the old Cavalier). Now, the reason why: During braking the "compliance" in the bushing allows the control arm to move slightly back changing alignment angles (mostly toe and SAI) to improve stability. Now here's the important part: when pressing new compliance bushings with voids in the rubber, be sure to "clock" the bushings the same as the original ones you are replacing or the suspension may have more "flex" in the wrong direction causing handling and brake pull issues.
Honda fogs, billet grills with painted surround, double tinted sunroof, tinted fronts, side turn signal mod, double dome light mod, LED dome and map lights, DT 1.25 hitch with Honda harness, 18" ARD Hyperblack wheels 225-60-18 tires, 225-75-16 snow tires on black OE wheels, LED marker and turn signals on outside mirrors, inside temp and compass mirror mod, ultimate homemade center console, bedrug full carpet set, extra tilt wheel mod, dog barrier mod, LED under dash lights mod, $10 CAI
Gilboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Something that hasn't been noted:

Worn control arm bushings will cause the wheels to be misaligned resulting in rapid tire wear.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Eric the car guy shows you how to change the stabilizer links. Don't know about the control arm bushings tho.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Stabilizer links

Also see http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=63020
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Blaine B.
2003 4WD EX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

I didn't even think about that, clocking the bushings in a certain direction.

However, for decades, solid bushings were used and they lasted well over 100,000 miles....now these compliance bushings which are said to help with stability during braking, wear out around 80,000 miles, give or take? That's just absurd. Bring back the old style bushings.
Blaine B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
syllinx
2005 2WD DX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Right side lower control arm bushing is torn.

Is this something simple I could do with household tools? I don't know if the extended warranty will cover it.
syllinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.