Cold Start Stalling HONDA TECH - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
bennyboie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to bennyboie
Exclamation Cold Start Stalling HONDA TECH

Hello..
It appears that numerous people have been facing this issue:

On a cold start, the E will idle rough, bog, or stall out when decelerating. After warming up, the E will be fine...

I stopped by the dealer today, and I was told that they've seen this issue numerous times on the E as well as the CR-V. He told me its either the Idle Control Valve, the EGR, or the Throttle body, the latter being the rarer case. I also found valve adjustments to help?

Ive already replaced the Idle Control Valve, thinking of the EGR next, but Id rather have a better approach than changing parts from the ground up hoping to get a fix. Any insights or ways to accurately diagnose the issue?

Please help!
bennyboie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Some Mook
EOC Rank: Helium

It cannot be an EGR issue

The Element (or 2002 and up CRV, for that matter) is not equipped with an EGR valve.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia (not my website)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
cskyun

stalling E

I had similar issue and I am copying/pasting this from another thread..
Had it been my car, I would have tried cleaning the throttle body like others have suggested.

>>>>Update on 06E stalling issue..
Here is what the dealer charged my company (it was a company car so I did not even bother: liability issue..)

cleaner, top engine..$4.28
gasket, cyl HD CVR..$13.55
perform top engine cleaner..$210.00
adjust valves and recheck..$117.60

"misfire from cylinder #1 causing rough running swapped coils and it did not change. MAP sensor high reading need to adjust valves after top engine leak performed top engine cleaner adjusted valves and rechecked ok now."..verbatim

Just to be clear, I had issues with stalling for initial 10 to 15 min but once the car is running, never had a rough engine issue.

I think my company got ripped off but what the heck, it is not my money and those poor guys have to make a living too. Maybe I have "sucker' written all over my face..

Thanks for all the help guys.<<<<
cskyun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
bennyboie
2005 4WD EX
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to bennyboie
Bump

STILL HAVING THESE PROBLEMS!!!! Im reading of others with similar problems, but no answers... anyone?
bennyboie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
jivenene
2003 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboie View Post
STILL HAVING THESE PROBLEMS!!!! Im reading of others with similar problems, but no answers... anyone?
Hi, you have a 2005? how many miles on it? you already replaced the idle control solenoid?

have you replaced plugs? done valve lash adjustment?

if you read cskyun post above, the dealer who did the work checked for air leaks on the intake system, and found none. he noticed a out of spec reading on his scanner for the MAP sensor, and determined valves needed to be adjusted. after that was done, he claimed it was fixed.

so unless you take it to a shop, i would go the same order.

1) check for vacuum leaks
2) change plugs if excessive mileage (new plugs should only help things)
3) adjust valves

i think our motors come stock with iridium plugs, which theoretically go 100k mi until honda claims they should be changed, but i beleive in PM and am changing mine out at 55k mi.

if the problem persists, i am stumped.
jivenene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Brian Fischer
2007 4WD EX MT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

I had the stalling when cold issue and did the valve adjust.

Problem 100% solved!!

All exhaust valves and one intake valve were ridiculously tight. Having made the adjustments my element is running perfectly and smoother at idle than new.

Brian in Atascadero, CA
2007 Honda element, manual transmission
Brian Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
cheeks
2003 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

my E has started stalling when i start it up

im having a similar problem with my E...i recently started getting the maint light flashing 10 times at startup. and now my E seems to stall a bit when i start it up. Like its struggling. Can it be because of the maint light thats just started flashing?! i havent taken it to a mechanic yet. My husband is good @ hondas but he's been working alot lately so hasnt been able to check it out for me yet :(

figured i'd get some ideas of what it could be so i can let him know any advice i get!

thanks!!
cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Welcome, Cheeks.

Just to be sure, you mean the "Maintenance Required" indicator, not the check-engine light, yes?

More info on the Maintenance Required indicator on pages 70–71 of your owner's manual.

As for the rough running, the most popular causes seem to be valves out of adjustment, dirty throttle body, or bad idle-air control valve. How many miles on that 2003, and has it ever had the valves adjusted or TB cleaned?
ramblerdan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
cheeks
2003 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

reply to ramblerdan

car has about 128k on it & nope, no adjustments or cleaning has been made that we know of....we purchased the car used at the begining of the year and dont have the owners manual but im sure we can figure out based on this thread how to reset the maintenance light.

We will look into the adjustments and cleaning! thanks so much!!

- you know what else happened that was odd too is that the engine light came on for two days and then shut back off....i havent seen it again.
cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Relevant threads
Valve Adjustment with pictures!
DIY: Clean your throttle body
• Resetting the Maintenance Required Indicator
(stickeyed in the Maintenance and Service section)

Owner's manual
You can order a version from Helm Inc. here.

Owner's manuals in PDF format, courtesy of techinfo.honda.com:

Note: The 2003–07 PDFs are are internally linked, with discrete files for each section, so can be viewed online. The 2008–10 versions are very large, monolithic files, so should be downloaded to your computer before viewing. (Right click, save-as.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeks View Post
the engine light came on for two days and then shut back off....i havent seen it again.
It should have stored a trouble code. You can buy a code reader and pull the code yourself, take it to a shop, or see if a local auto parts store will pull it for you for free.
ramblerdan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.