Flushing Brake & Power Steering Fluid - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Lori Wolff
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Flushing Brake & Power Steering Fluid

Just took my '03 Element in for an oil change and the dealer said that I need to have my Brake Fluid ($149.00) & Power Steering Fluid ($134.00) flushed - does this need to be done?
Lori Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
special k
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Per the owners manual the brake fluid should be done every 3 years. I don't see anything about power steering fluid.
If they're going to make the statement that it needs to be done, I'd ask them to show you in the owners manual.
special k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
ApriliaGuy
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EXS AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Replace the brake fluid every 2-3 years. (Honda says 3) This is very important for proper brake function, and can help prevent problems in the future.

I'm not sure what Honda recomends for the P/S fluid, but mine was kinda "dirty" at around 3-4 years (about 65k miles) and I replaced it. It is normally nice and clear when in good condition. Pull the cap and stick yer finger in to check it. Clear or "beer" color is fine...if it looks like Pepsi it needs replacing for sure. Most used cars I've seen (more than 4 years/75k miles) have crappy looking power steering fluid. P/S components can be expensive to replace if basic maintenance is ignored.

It sounds like they're recomending the services because they are prolly necessary.

BTW...the prices seem high to me, but I've never been to a dealer for service. They are both "easy" jobs to me, but keep in mind that dealers need to pay their techs well (if they are any good) and the building and equiptment and fancy waiting "lounge" and inventory ain't cheap....somebody needs to pay for all that.

Last edited by ApriliaGuy; 01-22-2009 at 08:03 AM.
ApriliaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.