Check engine light, running rough - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
m1ste00
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2WD LX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Exclamation Check engine light, running rough

Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Two weeks ago my E began to start rough, but it would smooth out almost immediately, so I thought it was due to the cold weather. Over the course of a week it got a little worse, with the roughness lasting a little longer. The check engine light came on. To make a long story short, here we go:
I took it to the dealership three times.
#1. They did the 110,000 mile service, changing all the spark plugs and checking all fluids. It was good. They put it on the machine and it said it was a coil misfire. The tech swapped #2 coil w. #3 and said if the light came back on it was the coil and he would replace it, but he did not think that was the problem.
Two days later the light is back on.
#2. The machine said that it was coil #2 which was incorrect since it had been switched the last visit w. #3 coil. The tech said since it was running rough (which it was doing during the first visit) it was a leaking injector. This cannot be tested, you have to replace it and see if it works. So we did. A couple of days later the light was back on.
#3. This time they called Honda and they told them to adjust valves and clean the chambers. 24 hours later I pick the car up. Tech says its running smooth. I pick it up and it immediately starts rough. On the invoice it says if problem persists it may need a cylinder head.
Last night the light came back on. It's been a little over a week. I was in a parking lot idling in the cold w. the heat on and it was getting very hot very fast. We got it home but as soon as we started driving the temperature dropped to normal and all fluids are intact, no spraying or leaks.
Has anyone had this problem? I have this idea of these techs w. dice rolling them to see what to fix next while I'm slowly going broke. Any suggestions would be great.
m1ste00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
SocalBob
2003 2WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Did they every told you what that CEL code was?
SocalBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
slimerdogs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

The other thing I would check is the compression as a low CYL will cause a misfire. The poor mans way to check is when you are starting it first inthe morning it will crank for a couple seconds and the starter motor will have a steady beat as it coes through the cylinders and if you have a low cylinder the starter will pick up on that one and come back down.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
m1ste00
2WD LX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBob View Post
Did they every told you what that CEL code was?
No they never told the code, just that it said it was the 2nd coil.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Rocket Dog
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2004 4WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

This may not be helpful but if you get down to the Hampton Roads area Pure Automotive in Virginia Beach is a great repair shop. He's a retired Honda Master Mechanic from Hall Honda and opened his own shop. Spotman and I have both used this shop and have great experience there.

Good luck with your issue.

Rocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Kiwi_Box
EOC Rank: Carbon
2009 *Not an Element owner

Send a message via AIM to Kiwi_Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ste00 View Post
hopefully someone out there can help me out. Two weeks ago my e began to start rough, but it would smooth out almost immediately, so i thought it was due to the cold weather. Over the course of a week it got a little worse, with the roughness lasting a little longer. The check engine light came on. To make a long story short, here we go:
I took it to the dealership three times.
#1. They did the 110,000 mile service, changing all the spark plugs and checking all fluids. It was good. They put it on the machine and it said it was a coil misfire. The tech swapped #2 coil w. #3 and said if the light came back on it was the coil and he would replace it, but he did not think that was the problem.
Two days later the light is back on.
#2. The machine said that it was coil #2 which was incorrect since it had been switched the last visit w. #3 coil. The tech said since it was running rough (which it was doing during the first visit) it was a leaking injector. This cannot be tested, you have to replace it and see if it works. So we did. A couple of days later the light was back on.
#3. This time they called honda and they told them to adjust valves and clean the chambers. 24 hours later i pick the car up. Tech says its running smooth. I pick it up and it immediately starts rough. On the invoice it says if problem persists it may need a cylinder head.
Last night the light came back on. It's been a little over a week. I was in a parking lot idling in the cold w. The heat on and it was getting very hot very fast. We got it home but as soon as we started driving the temperature dropped to normal and all fluids are intact, no spraying or leaks.
Has anyone had this problem? I have this idea of these techs w. Dice rolling them to see what to fix next while i'm slowly going broke. Any suggestions would be great.

what dealership did you take it to?

Kiwi_Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
m1ste00
2WD LX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Exclamation

I finally got in touch with a friend of a friend who is a Master Mechanic and knew what it was as soon as I explained the situation. In case anyone else ever runs into this issue, here it is...BTW, I went to Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg VA. As my friend said, they were on the right track, but went about it all wrong, not digging enough to find the problem, rather trying to fix the symptom which in turn only made it worse with time.

Anyway, he suggested my husband take out the spark plug for the troubled coil #2 and see if it was wet. If so, start the car w/o the spark plug in (starting will be loud, he said it's ok) Let it run for about 20 seconds, letting the air blow out any fluids and replace it. If it starts smooth once the spark plug is replaced, it's antifreeze leaking into the cylinder which is BAD.

I returned it to the dealership, not telling them what I knew and they figured it out almost immediately, based on me telling them it ran hot one time. So they have to remove the cylinder head and check the extent of the damage, but we're looking at a minimum of $1300.

According to the dealership (of course) all of their trial and error and the time wasted and me continuing to drive the car did not make it worse, however, I beg to differ as the roughness in the idling got much worse in the end and the car was obviously not running right. My lesson in this is that dealerships are maybe not always the best option. I was worried about a "shop" being a woman but maybe I'll think twice about that next time.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Did you suggest that they deduct from the head overhaul the cost of them throwing parts at the problem instead of diagnosing it correctly?
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Tags
coil , engine light , running rough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.