TSP and paint/clear coat - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
LMntGuy1982
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

TSP and paint/clear coat

I was wondering if TSP (trisodium phosphate) will damage clearcoat? The reason I'm asking is I have to use it to put a UV resistant topcoat on my Herculinered panels and it says to prep it with TSP. I know it's a surface prep but I don't know how strong it is. As in will it strip the clearcoat or paint? TIA
'03 EX SOP (SOP is now a collectors item), roofrack, armrest, sunroof screen, full tank of gas (woo hoo), bought it right off the semi truck, hehe 15 miles on it. Herculiner'd Panels, Custom Painted Rims, Subwoofer upgrade, K&N CAI, Painted Engine Cover and Fuse Box, LMNTGuy's iPhone Integration (tm), SOP Dash Trim, Ingalls engine torque damper.
LMntGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Serj22
EOC Rank: Oxygen

I use TSP to clean walls in homes for paint, and I would have to say, I would never ever get it close to the finish on my car... it's very abrasive. I don't think it will strip the paint, but it will definitly make it look like you took coarse sandpaper to it.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
LMntGuy1982
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Hmm ok. I'm not going to "use" it on my paint but if any were to drip off the panels and get on the paint it would be washed off asap.
'03 EX SOP (SOP is now a collectors item), roofrack, armrest, sunroof screen, full tank of gas (woo hoo), bought it right off the semi truck, hehe 15 miles on it. Herculiner'd Panels, Custom Painted Rims, Subwoofer upgrade, K&N CAI, Painted Engine Cover and Fuse Box, LMNTGuy's iPhone Integration (tm), SOP Dash Trim, Ingalls engine torque damper.
LMntGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Serj22
EOC Rank: Oxygen

Yeah, I don't think it will actually eat the paint unless you scrub or brush the stuff around on the paint, I would search around for stuff titled "TSP ruined my car" or something on google, and if nothing bad comes up...

Otherwise, I think it'll be ok as long as if it gets on the car you get it off immediately.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
duckloads
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I've used TSP around the house in preparation for painting. The stuff is great for dulling the paint, so the new paint will have something to "grip" onto.
duckloads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.