Undercarriage Damage Likely? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
airos4
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to airos4
Undercarriage Damage Likely?

So, I have a problem and I'm hoping some wiser heads can weigh in. I was at a concert last night and had to park on an uphill grassy slope, with a curb at the top where the exit road was. Being slightly tired, I didn't notice that the height of that curb was pretty substantial. My E climbed up the grassy part without issue (unlike the 2WD Blazer next to me who got stuck) but when I crossed over the curb and dropped to the street there was some unfortunate sounds made.

I know my right side step lost a chunk of the front support - I can see that. What else would be likely to be damaged in that sort of grinding cross? I took it at a diagonal with the front left coming down first. I have it parked on a pad to look for leaks at the moment - driving home I didn't feel any shudder or problems with drivetrain.

Thoughts on what I should be watching for?
airos4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
airos4
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to airos4
On the update - went outside and the pad I had put out doesn't have any leaks I can see. In the light I can see black smudges/scratches on a bulb shaped housing in front of the muffler. I can also see the break in the front support of the passenger's running board, and also some scratching inboard of that on that same support. I don't see any damage between the wheels or forwards of that.
airos4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
elementbryon
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Check the monkey bar thing that wraps around the fuel tank so that it isn't poking into the plastic tank. If that bar rubs on the fuel tank it might be fine now but, some time down the road it will wear through and leak. I tore one off on a large rock in the snow and it was $145 for a new one, which I mangled almost immediately. The second time I just bent it back into shape and made sure it did not touch the tank anywhere.
'09 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi Touring
'12 Polaris Trailboss 330
'94 Polaris Trailboss 250 2stroke
'92 Polaris Starlite 250 2stroke
'82 Honda ATC 185S
elementbryon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
EL-MT
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Alignment could have also been affected. You might not see any noticeable effects from it until your tires wear uneven and prematurely.

Yakima rack w/58" bar, fairing, gunwale brackets, Tow hitch/harness, cargo mat, heavy duty floor mats, Michelin LTX M/S tires, privacy curtain, Realtime AWD decal, EOC decal, Element seat covers
EL-MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
DrTARDIS
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to DrTARDIS Send a message via Yahoo to DrTARDIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementbryon View Post
Check the monkey bar thing that wraps around the fuel tank so that it isn't poking into the plastic tank. If that bar rubs on the fuel tank it might be fine now but, some time down the road it will wear through and leak. I tore one off on a large rock in the snow and it was $145 for a new one, which I mangled almost immediately. The second time I just bent it back into shape and made sure it did not touch the tank anywhere.
When you bent in back in to shape, did you remove it first. I tried that and it was a nightmare getting it back on. Now I just keep in on and get very inventive with a large plumbers wrench, crowbar and on old, very strong Hydraulic jack.

Last edited by DrTARDIS; 10-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.
DrTARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
spdrcr5
Administrator
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5
Quote:
Originally Posted by airos4 View Post
On the update - went outside and the pad I had put out doesn't have any leaks I can see. In the light I can see black smudges/scratches on a bulb shaped housing in front of the muffler. I can also see the break in the front support of the passenger's running board, and also some scratching inboard of that on that same support. I don't see any damage between the wheels or forwards of that.
That would be the catalytic converter... hundreds of dollars to replace if you damaged/broke it. Sounds like you might have just banged it and scratched it though.

I would check the exhaust for leaks around all of the connections in and around the cat.

EOC FAQ/How To
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
FireBrick
EOC Rank: Helium
2009 4WD LX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

old timers alignment check

us old guys used this trick to check for alignment problems.

wet down the street, driveway or parking lot
and then drive straight across.

look at the tracks in wet pavement.
mis alignment, even a little will be evident.

09 Element LX, H&A steps, roof rack and a SC center console. Dallas Auto Rear Spoiler
FireBrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
mkh
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
That would be the catalytic converter... hundreds of dollars to replace if you damaged/broke it.
...try $1700 to replace it. :-x Been there done that (when someone unsuccessfully tried to sawzall it off and steal it one night).

It has several "smart" sensors built into it, that feed info to the engine management system, and are wired into the harness in the dash in several places - and a real pita to get at. Not something the typical muffler shop can do.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
spdrcr5
Administrator
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
...try $1700 to replace it. :-x Been there done that (when someone unsuccessfully tried to sawzall it off and steal it one night).

It has several "smart" sensors built into it, that feed info to the engine management system, and are wired into the harness in the dash in several places - and a real pita to get at. Not something the typical muffler shop can do.
I didn't know the exact price and isn't $1,700 17 hundred? I did say Hundreds, but didn't specify how many hundreds. :smile:

EOC FAQ/How To
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
That would be the catalytic converter... hundreds of dollars to replace if you damaged/broke it. Sounds like you might have just banged it and scratched it though..
There are 3 exhaust components that might get hit. The catalytic convert is up front, and has a shield, partly protecting it from hits, partly protecting things like dry grass from the heat of the converter.

At the back is the muffler itself. In between is a resonator. It is, essentially, opposite the fuel tank. Mine has a good size dent, probably acquired in my more 'reckless' days (03-04).

The rear subframe, and the lower control arms for the rear wheels are another part that can get hit, especially if traveling with a full load of camping gear (which lowers the suspension).

There's a charcoal fill box behind the gas tank that filters gas vapors. On 2nd generation CRVs this, or it shield, could get dislodged, and in the worse case, damage a seal on a rear half shaft. I've have not heard of a similar problem with the Element. That may be because the Element's gas tank hangs a bit lower.

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16
Picasa photos
Tire Size Calculator
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.