Honda Element Owners Club banner

gas tank protection

10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  MTBecamper77 
#1 ·
I get a little uneasy when I venture off the beaten path. I don't understand why the lowest hanging point on an E is the gas tank. Sure there is the bar around the tank but you can still puncture the tank.

I got some aluminum/nylon/aluminum 1/8" sandwich board. It's really strong and should provide a good degree of puncture and impact resistance. Plus it completely covers the charcoal canister.

I bought enough to do under the engine and trans as well. I plan on using camlock 1/4 turn fasteners under there to make it quick and easy to change the oil and service the trans. I'm hoping for one more snow storm this winter, this stuff is really slick and I think it will help me slide through the snow better. Rather than plowing snow with the gas tank.

See less See more
#5 ·
This stuff cuts very easily with a jigsaw using an aluminum blade. The scores were cut with a cutting disc on a right angle die grinder. I'm also pretty confident you can bond multiple layers of this stuff together to make a super stiff area ( like for under the oil pan).

I'm hoping this does improve the airflow under the vehicle, it may be insignificant now. but when I do the engine compartment and the area between the rear bumper and the subframe it might give me a little extra highway efficiency.

Travis how much did you pay for the Sch 10?

#8 ·
I wanted to do this too. I just didnt know what material to use. I was thinking about aluminum sheet metal. I dont do any off road driving, but I was looking for an underbody diffuser or aerodynamics

sorry to keep bothering you, rollertoaster, but did you ever find that exhaust piece? could you keep an eye out for it?

thanks,
David

#9 ·
1.5 od... ends up 1.375 id or so.. Got some 2 inch id for the up pipe if he decides to go that route. We're either going with a ramhorn style mani or a traditional 4-1 header with a 2 inch collector and up pipe. I think I will be able to fit everything back there better and sit my turbo in the same spot it is in with the cast manifold. I also think it will make a little better power if the velocity stays up, which it should. Kind of like a sidewinder but folded in half and up and down...

#10 · (Edited)
Skid plate

Many , many moons ago , I inquired about skidplates for this exact purpose ! Excellant job and explanation ! Will be doing this mod as soon as the weather warms up !

RUBY

You could probably sell these yourself on this site , I'd be first in line to purchase .
Extra cash in this economy is always welcome ... just be reasonable and they will come
Just don't know how heavy it is to ship .

#12 ·
very nice work

I too am interested in your skid plate, as are many of us.

If possible, could you provide a template for the cutting and the score marks?

You could even sell that for a few bucks each to recoupe some of your R&D costs.

#13 ·
WOW, Amazing Idea!!!! I am on this!!!! I know nothing about metal work, any advice?

#14 ·
I might use U bolts to attach it to the stock tank guard.

#15 ·
I have been having the same debate => I was up in the Yukon / Alaska where most roads are "off road"...but having an FJ wasn't the answer as its a TANK on gas - and had no flat area to sleep when camping.

I took my E into a mechanic in Boulder, Colorado who mainly does mufflers, we talked about remodeling the muffler as it hangs WAY too low and has 3 canisters that are much too vulnerable (Looks like you may have addressed this as well). I would have done both these mods, along with the 3" lift kit, but the issue of a plastic low hanging gas tank in the middle of the E still remained. We considered a metal sheet as discussed in this forum, but really, the gas tank is too far centered and way too low.

Has anyone considered re-locating the gas tank? Would it be possible to relocate it into the spare tire area? I currently use this area for tools, bike gear, etc and have a Full spare tire in my roof rack, with a 10L gas can.

With a new tighter muffler system (with a 2 & 1/4" pipe which allows the E to breathe better = 1-2 mpg better), and a re-located gas tank, the E would have a ground clearance of at least 9"! Add the 3" lift kit, and we have a 4 cylinder truck! Its no FJ for off-roading, but I'm not crawling on rocks, I just want to get through the next creek without losing half of the E.

Any thoughts on relocating the gas tank?

#16 ·
Spare tire tank

First of all I love the skid plate. I know this thread is old, but it should be brought back. Skid plates should be sold for the E. As far as moving the gas tank this could be an option if they ever make it for the E. $1750 in not cheap especially compared to Jerry cans.

Here is a spare tire tank I found that comes with all the hookups and electronics to make it a second tank. Could be converted to the only tank. They do not make it for the Element yet, but they look to be a small Idaho company and the northwest is full of E's. I emailed them under the "new product suggestion" section and I suggest you do the same to show them the interest.

https://titanfueltanks.com/product-category/stafs/

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.