Honda Element Owners Club banner

HD grill LOWER guard mod 2009-10 edition (warning: picture heavy!)

10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  tofu1 
#1 ·
[FONT=&quot]HD GRILL GUARD MOD-04 MAR 2010: (Lower Grill)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
THIS PROJECT (DONE MARCH 4-5, 2010) IS DETAILED OUT FOR -ONLY- 2009 AND 2010 MODEL’S GRILLS. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN TERMS OF THE UPPER GRILL OPENINGS. A SEPARATE THREAD IS SET ASIDE (SORRY MODS!) TO DETAIL THE “UPPER GRILL GUARD MOD”.

What follows is my 2009-10 Lower Grill Guard Mod using the metal Home Depot gutter screen without and with paint… For those of you that are handy, you’ll appreciate the detail… I did look at the other threads on this mod and did mine this way so that those of us who are not mechanically inclined (READ DISCLAIMER) have a resource to figure this stuff out… To those folks who are like me, by all means, follow this account and my bumbling hands to the end…! I’ve pared this down from 150+ photos to what you have before you…

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED BY ANY MEANS AND I TOOK THESE PICTURES IN CASE I FORGOT A STEP OR PROCEDURE ALONG THE WAY. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD FROM BEGINNING TO END AND IF YOU CANNOT SAFELY HANDLE 30-40 LBS, GET ANOTHER SET OF HANDS TO HELP YOU. I DID THIS PROJECT AFTER 6+ MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP BECAUSE IT TOOK ME THAT LONG TO GATHER UP ENOUGH COURAGE TO DO THIS ON MY OWN. I’M A BIG GUY AND DID THIS BY MYSELF BUT BECAUSE I ADMIT TO BEING AN IDIOT AT TIMES, I TOOK THE PICS TO COVER MY BUTT. THE PROJECT TOOK 2-AFTERNOONS TO COMPLETE (BECAUSE OF PAINT DRYING TIMES) AND THE LAST PHOTO WAS TAKEN ON A SUNNY DAY TO SHOW THE FULL RESULTS OF MY GOOD ‘OL LUNCH BOX. NOW WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE FINS OF THE CONDENSER/RADIATOR FRONTS NOW THAT THE BUMPER IS OFF. DO THIS PROJECT AT YOUR OWN RISK! WORK SAFELY AND HAPPY MODDING!

List of tools used:

• Screwdriver-flat head: to pop-out clips
  • Screwdriver-Philips: screw removal
  • 10mm socket & wrench: stepped bolt removal
  • Black marker: to mark my template
  • Leather gloves: to prevent cuts on my hands
  • Tin snips: to remove excess metal
  • Wire cutters: to trim zip ties
  • Blanket-to lay the bumper

Home Depot / Wal-Mart purchases:

• HD-Gutter Guard $2.16 each (I got 2 for Upper and Lower Grill Mods)
  • WM-Spray Paint: Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer (Dark Gray) $3.97
  • WM-Spray Paint: Rust-Oleum Flat Protective Enamel (Black) $3.97
  • WM-Leviton 4-Inch Cable Ties (Black/100-count) less than $2 (had these for a long time/need 10-for this project)
  • Total: $14.26 + 9.75% tax = $15.65

[FONT=&quot]LOWER GRILL GUARD MOD:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (31-PHOTOS)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Step One: BUMPER REMOVAL (REFER TO PAGE 3 ON THE PDF FILE FROM HANDA)

Follow this LINK or follow here:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/10fogs.pdf

On page 3 of the D-I-Y Fog Lights Installation Instructions (from our good friends at H and A), you’ll see the diagram of where all the clips, bolts and screws are to remove the bumper. What follows is my pictorial of how I did it.

Start by raising the hood. What makes the 2009-2010 models different from previous years is that there are six fewer clips! Nice, no?

---

Remove the FIVE clips from the radiator cover with a screwdriver or paint can opener.

---
Next: lift off and slide forward so that you avoid the hood latch/lever.

---

Next: 2-pairs of screws in the front wheel well. Both sides.

Driver’s side.

---

Passenger’s side.

---

Next: Under the bumper there are FOUR 10mm Stepped Bolts that need a socket wrench to remove. Two off the center and two near the wheel wells.

Driver’s side / left of center.

---
Passenger’s side / right of center. Picture of the socket wrench in use.

---

Driver’s side.

---

Passenger’s side.

CONTINUED...

See less See more
#2 ·
HD Grill Lower Guard Mod 2009-10 Edition (WARNING: Picture HEAVY!!!)

Next: FOUR clips underneath / mounted in the shroud under the engine.

---
Last clip. The only one on top that holds the bumper!

---
To remove the bumper: Push and pull the corner to separate the bumper from the wall of the wheel well.

---
Now that the bumper is off, let’s get to the nitty-gritty E-ople…!!!

Step ONE:
Get bumper on a moving blanket to prevent scratches. As you can see the 2 screens that I’ll be using. I recommend that you use a table to do the rest of the work. I’m a tall guy so I used a table to place the bumper on to do my work (you’ll see in the following pics.).

---

Step TWO: (OPTIONAL)

Remove the lower grill from bumper. Tabs are marked with arrows and I only used the flat-head screwdriver to separate the tabs from the ring. Lift and go. Start on one side and make your way around to the other. I started left and ended up where the screwdriver is. If you decide to skip this, go to Step THREE:

---

PHOTO: Grill insert removed from bumper.

---

Step THREE:

Time to trace the template.

---

Use a marker and tin snips. I planned on bending down the grill guard along the sides of the grill to eliminate the need to have to drill holes on the sides to mount the screen. SPECIAL NOTE: EXTEND THE TEMPLATE BORDER SIDES BY ONE-INCH!!!

CONTINUED...

#3 · (Edited)

Step FOUR: BOTTOM REMOVAL-WEAR GLOVES!!!

Cut. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! The edges of the screen are SHARP!!! I wore thick leather gloves (not in picture) while cutting (which I removed to take the picture). I pushed the excess metal down so that it would not get in the way of the rest of the screen I had to remove. Work safely, work slowly…!

---

Steps FIVE thru SEVEN: SIDE REMOVAL-TEMPLATE (#5), CUTTING (#6), AND SHAPING (#7)

Trace-remember the inch gap for the fold down.

---

#6. Cut.

---

#7. Bend.

WARNING:Use thick leather gloves to bend the metal sides down. THE METAL EDGE ISSHARP!!!

---

RESULT: The Grill Guard is shaped and ready for mounting.

---

PHOTO: Test fit. If you like this look, skip down to Step NINE:

---

Step EIGHT: (OPTIONAL: PAINTING)

Paint.

---

Steady side-to-side motions.

---
Allow to dry for 15-30 minutes. Flip over and do the other side. Wait 15-30 minutes. Repeat, painting both sides.

---

Once primed, time to get some flat-black enamel on. Painted both front and back twice.

---

Step NINE: CABLE/”ZIP” TIE TIME!

Time to attach the screen to the grill with zip ties. I used TEN total so that there was plenty of support for all parts of the screen. Six (yellow arrows) of the ten are shown. Used the wire cutters to trim the excess tie “tabs”. Leave ¼ to ½ inch tab sticking out. Relax! No one will see it! The clipped side will be on the INSIDE along with the buckle of the cable/zip tie--NEAT!

---

Time to put it all back together. As you can see, I did the Upper Grill Guard Mod as well. Please see thread (HERE)for those details along with pictures to go along with install.

CONTINUED...

#4 · (Edited)

WARNING: IT’S REALLY A “HEADS-UP”. WHEN RE-MOUNTING THE BUMPER, MAKE SURE YOU PUSH UP THE BOTTOM OF THE PLASTIC SHROUD -UP-. NOTE: THIS IS WHERE ANOTHER SET OF HANDS COMES IN REAL HANDY. OR DO WHAT I DID-USE A PROP (SMALL BOX). OTHERWISE, IT’LL LOOK LIKE THIS BEFORE THE CLIPS, BOLTS, AND SCREWS ARE PUT BACK IN. DON’T RUSH LIKE I DID! D’OH!!! :homer: (a la Homer Simpson!)

---

FINAL RESULT:

Thanks for stopping by…! Let me see the results of your mods and post your pictures here…!!! LBD

#7 ·
Thanks Rolie...!

NICE!!!! Good to see real life photos of the bumper coming off!
That's why I did it buddy...! I'm not good with "instructions"...!!! LMELBO...!

LBD

#6 ·
NICE!!!! Good to see real life photos of the bumper coming off!

#11 ·
You're welcome...! Glad to be of service...!

Nice writeup - looks great!

I vote to make this a sticky!!
Thank you...! It's the least I can do for a place I admire...! I doubt they'll make it a sticky until the 2011 models come out... I'm not sure if the 2nd Gen models will start then or not... But if the '11s come out and they're the same, it'll be good for 3 model years so who knows right...? Thanks for the vote...!

Its not bad... i like the look of mine little more.
DE07, you have an AWESOME look to your E but I'm a "looking stock" kinda guy so as much as I admire your look, I wish to keep the mods "hidden" until I own the good 'ol LunchBox...! Also, I'm on a bit of a budget... Saving for those sidesteps...! Thanks...!

LBD

#13 ·
not bad , I just recently put on a billet upper&lower grill on my E $24.00 on ebay they have 3 prices for the same grill $99, $49,$24.,nice solid peice, looks great.fits great,goes on fast.improves mileage.
Wuhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa...! Pictures...? I'll also be re-chipping my LunchBox and putting on the "PMM's get 30 MPG" decal on her so that I can improve my mileage...!!! Thanks buddy...! You made my weekend...! LMELBO!!!
..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........

LBD

#14 ·
Nicely DONE LBD. I'll be calling you soon after the 28th meet for your help to remove my SC bumper. You think removing your bumper was easy, wait til you grab a hold of mine.

#16 ·
No problem-O buddy...! Hit me up on my celly anytime...!

if you are going to hayward. I'm down for a mini meet.
You're ALWAYS down for a mini-meet huh buddy...? LOL!!! Its up to E707 when and where he wants to meet... I'm willing to go out to V-town to help him...! He's a good friend...! Just not so lucky with his back bumper...! 3-hits in the 7-months I've known him...!!!

LBD

#15 ·
if you are going to hayward. I'm down for a mini meet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.