How to replace rear stabilizer / sway bar links - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
mrpolice
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

How to replace rear stabilizer / sway bar links

No one had a how to on this so I made one. Many have complained about a groan and rattle from the rear suspension. Some suggested replacing the sway bar bushings. For some that worked, for me it did not. It was my stabilizer end links a.k.a. sway bar end links. Here is how I got them off...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
mrpolice
2004 4WD EX AT

Next steps...

You can beat the crap out of these and you wont hurt your E unless you miss. Once the ball joint looking ends are exposed - put a vice grip on them and using a 14 mm socket or impact gun (like I did) take em' out. You have to use a vice grip or a strong friend with pliers because that mofo will just spin if you torque on it.

The new ones go right back in their place. They are right and left specific however. Stick an allen wrench in the end of the link - the tip of the threaded part (the only place it will fit) - then use a 14 mm open ended wrench to tighten it down. Hold the allen wrench steady as you go. I spent $15 and bought a 14 mm ratcheting open ended wrench to make it go faster. While the car is up in the air, tighten it but not all the way - just so it is snug. Then use a jack and jack up the rear hub you are working on. When you see all the vehicle's weight is on the jack - then tighten down the link ends all the way. - You're done. I spent $62 total on the parts.

I did both sides, the second one was about 3x as fast as the first.

My car has groaned for a year and after this fix it feels like a new car although Im sure it rides the same it's just so quiet. After I was done (last picture) I sprayed brake cleaner all over to get rid of the penetrating oil. Then I spray flat black high temp paint all over everything so any scuffs I made wouldn't rust.

All the other rust you see is typical for this climate where they use salt on the roads 6 months outta they year - bleh!

If this posts helps you let me know! This forum has saved me $1000's so far...
Attached Images

Last edited by mrpolice; 04-18-2010 at 09:19 PM.
mrpolice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
LunchBoxDriver
EOC Rank: Carbon
2009 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Just wanted to say NICELY DONE...!!! *applause*, *applause*...!

LBD

The LBD Glossary... "LMELBO"... (L)augh-(M)y-(E)lement-(L)oving-(B)utt-(O)ff... *bow*

The LBD Help Desk: (PC-users) To do the CENTS "˘" sign... Hold down the "ALT" key and then punch in "0162" on your 10-key pad (not the upper row of the keyboard!)... Just MY...!!!

The LBD D-I-Y Mods links: '09-'10 HD Grill UPPER ... '09-'10 HD Grill LOWER ... '09-'10 Front Bumper Removal ...

-
LunchBoxDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Good work on those links, Mrpolice. Mine had rusted threads too, and ate two Allen keys before I finally removed the nuts. I like the "hammer justice" idea.

Best to put some anti-seize or grease on the exposed threads of the new links, or paint as Mrpolice did, to avoid the rust problem in the future.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 05-28-2010 at 10:40 AM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
SOCIAL DISTORTION
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Send a message via ICQ to SOCIAL DISTORTION
Great pics....I am down south of you in Akron...howdy E neighbor. Did you remove your tires when you did this? This is a great site to help us with our E's
SOCIAL DISTORTION is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
mrpolice
2004 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCIAL DISTORTION View Post
Did you remove your tires when you did this?
Yes I removed the tires - without doing that it would be a bigger pain than it already was. If you see LeBron down there kick him in the nuts.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Retro Grouch
2003 4WD EX AT

Thanks for the tutorial. I just bought a pair of those links. Weird thing though, they cost me $16 each side at a Toronto Honda dealership and they were even in stock, no waiting. Hope mine aren't seized and I plan to use graphite on the threads when installing. Since I'm reusing the old nuts, I'm going to include a couple of split washers to prevent them from backing out.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
spdrcr5
Administrator
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5
Added to the FAQ. Thanks! I am in the middle of doing this and will be using these instructions tomorrow to finish.

EOC FAQ/How To
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
MME4me
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX MT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

mrpolice -- Are your new endlinks OEM or aftermarket?

If I go OEM, does anyone know if I'll need new Stabilizer Link Protectors? Or can the old ones be reused?

Confused over the price difference. Looks like the important part is only ten bucks and the plastic protector is sixty.
Honda: all season mats, splash gaurds, side steps (black), rear air deflector, fogs, cargo tray, cargo net, roof rack, locking gas cap, black front bumper garnish, black grille molding, black rear bumper garnish...
DIY: side marker->turn signal mod, manual AC defrost control mod, interior bike rack for two, GrilleGuy Black Razr lower grill insert (no zipties), cleared headlights, chrome painted sidemarker sockets...
Other: window tint, Thule snowboard rack, chrome bulbs...
MME4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
ziggie
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EXS AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Great article Jon!!

I have a Q; how did you know they were bad..? did they have play or what?

MTIA
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpolice View Post
You can beat the crap out of these and you wont hurt your E unless you miss. Once the ball joint looking ends are exposed - put a vice grip on them and using a 14 mm socket or impact gun (like I did) take em' out. You have to use a vice grip or a strong friend with pliers because that mofo will just spin if you torque on it.

The new ones go right back in their place. They are right and left specific however. Stick an allen wrench in the end of the link - the tip of the threaded part (the only place it will fit) - then use a 14 mm open ended wrench to tighten it down. Hold the allen wrench steady as you go. I spent $15 and bought a 14 mm ratcheting open ended wrench to make it go faster. While the car is up in the air, tighten it but not all the way - just so it is snug. Then use a jack and jack up the rear hub you are working on. When you see all the vehicle's weight is on the jack - then tighten down the link ends all the way. - You're done. I spent $62 total on the parts.

I did both sides, the second one was about 3x as fast as the first.

My car has groaned for a year and after this fix it feels like a new car although Im sure it rides the same it's just so quiet. After I was done (last picture) I sprayed brake cleaner all over to get rid of the penetrating oil. Then I spray flat black high temp paint all over everything so any scuffs I made wouldn't rust.

All the other rust you see is typical for this climate where they use salt on the roads 6 months outta they year - bleh!

If this posts helps you let me know! This forum has saved me $1000's so far...

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.