Honda Element Owners Club banner

Storage Armrest in 2009-2011 EX?

15K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  jesbecause 
#1 ·
Anyone know if the storage armrest works with the 2009 EX?

Will it get in the way of the cooler?

#3 ·
Dealership would not install the armrest

I took my E to the dealership to have the security system installed. I also asked them to install the Driver's Side Armrest with Storage. When I came back in the afternoon for pick-up, I was told that they couldn't install the armrest. I was not really given an explanation.

I think the cooler might in the way but I can't be sure since they didn't even let me see why it can't be installed. I think if the handle of the cooler is in the flat locking position, it would not be in the way but then it cannot be opened either. I might be wrong but i thought I read somewhere that the armrest storage is removable, if it is then I would be still able to open the cooler once parked, I don't know. What I know is that I really want one installed.

#5 ·
I haven't looked at the '09 interior yet. What I want to do is put the cooler console from the '09 into my '08. I have the driver's armrest storage console, already. I would think it should fit in the '09, as far as the bracket and hardware are concerned. I didn't think about any clearance issues with the cooler, though.

#6 ·
Yes! It can be done!

I just installed the storage armrest in a 2009 EX AT.
It was a very easy and quick install. Just removed the existing armrest and mount, and installed the new mount in the same place. No cutting of fabric required. The storage armrest works perfectly. You can still access and use the cooler if you slide the driver's seat forward and access the cooler from the back seat area. The cooler can still be removed and installed.
What a difference this armrest makes over the skimpy original. I am very glad I went this way. I like my wife's toaster even more now!
And Honda said it couldn't be done! They are missing out on a lot of storage armrest sales by saying it can't be used in an EX. They are wrong.:)
Joe in NH

#7 · (Edited)
Storage Armrest in 2009-2010 EX?

I don't even HAVE my E yet... I go visit her at the dealer right now. I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing my Re-Fi and FINALLY getting my E!! Already I'm looking to make mods. The first mod I want to make is the arm rest. Can I add that arm rest/console to the 10 EX? Is it just a simple matter of removing the stock driver side arm rest and replacing it with the bigger one?

Think the dealership would be ok with me starting my mods BEFORE I even pick it up??? :shock: LOL

#8 ·
Well, sure!... As soon as it's paid for. Honda dealers make half of their profit soaking the new owners for outrageously priced labor charges putting on the (also overpriced) Honda accessories.

Oh wait... You want to do it yourself but while it's still in their hands? .:boat:

#10 ·
HEHE Yeah I wanna do the work on it myself while I wait the 2 weeks for my check to come in the mail so I can go pay for it!! Think they'll go for it? LOL

You maybe able to install the armrest....But if i recall it is a tight fit with the cooler in place.

I only had my first E home 10 minutes before i started installing accessories. By the time i bought my second one it took me about 2 weeks to break out the tool box.
The armrest is WAY more important to me than the cooler. So the cooler will end up in the attic if that's the case.

#9 ·
You maybe able to install the armrest....But if i recall it is a tight fit with the cooler in place.

I only had my first E home 10 minutes before i started installing accessories. By the time i bought my second one it took me about 2 weeks to break out the tool box.

#14 ·
I hate the factory location of the armrest. It's too low... I can't even feel it under my arm because I'm too tall haha.

#15 ·
Hey buddy...!

Keep us posted on this DIY...! Take pics so that I can consider this... If you could include the part #'s on this, it would be great too... Thanks...!

LBD

#23 ·
Armrest/Storage for 2010 EX?

The larger armrest storage compartment I had in my 2005 LX was great. However that car got smooshed by a Truck making an illegal turn so I have a 2010 EX now and that armrest is not an option for the EX.

Does anyone know if it will install okay in the EX with the cooler?

Thanks,
Ian

#26 ·
Any suggestion for other armrest on 2010 EX

So it looks like I would have to dump the cooler to use the factory storage armrest on the 2010 EX. Anyone have a good suggestion for another armrest on the EX? The factory one is too small and too low for me.

Thanks,
Ian

#28 ·
Drivers side armrest with storage 2010 EX

I have just installed my armrest in my 2010 EX, works great!!
The only issue I can find is probably the reason they don't say it would fit 2009-2010 EX is the cooler. You will have to slide off the armrest to get total access to the cooler and to remove it. I don't really care about the cooler, and if I have to, like I said it takes a couple of seconds to slide off the armrest. No big deal.:)
Just thought I would share that.

#29 ·
Post some pics :-D

#30 ·
Center Armrest w/Storage for 2011 EX?

I see this was an option for 2003-2008. I just test drove the 2011 model, which Im about to buy, and I HATED the extremely thin armrests. I really need this attachment, but dont know it if would fit in the 2011 model. It is not listed as an option on the website.

The salesman at the dealer found it in the catalog and said he could add it, but this guy hardly knew anything about the Element! I dont trust him at all, as he would say anything would work if he knew he would get a sale.

Has anyone successfully added this to a late model Element? I'd really need this for long driving. Im aware you can get after market solutions, but Id prefer one from Honda.

#32 ·
Access is not that bad

I will post pic's, but the simplest thing to do to have total access to the cooler, opening and easy removal is simply move the drivers seat up all the way. It completely moves out of the way for easy opening and removal.Obviously you can not do that when driving, and yes you have to be out of the seat to move it forward, unless your very skinny (which I am not, quite the opposite) and drive with the seat all the way forward, then you already have full access!:-D
I completely believe this minor thing is far out weighed by the added convenience of having someplace to rest my arm!!:)
pic's to follow soon.

#33 ·
#34 ·
#36 ·
Storage armrest on a 2011 EX

Is it possible to get one of these armrests to work on my ex? I know I have the new cooler center console mod, but will I be able to install the new armrest and still be able to remove the cooler? anyone have the part number for this.
any advice is greatly appreciated

#38 · (Edited)
Just finished this install in my 11 EX. Bought it online from Bernardi's for $107 plus shipping. It was a super easy install (15 min tops, took me more time to read the install online than actually do it). We'll see how long I like it, but it is way better than the stock armrest. Wish I had this on my last long trip.

It is not built to take a lot of weight, and if I want to fold the seats down for sleeping while camping, I should probably not leave it attached. Even with a mattress pad, I'd not want to inadvertently sit on the armwrest and have it break. Luckily, the whole armrest quickly disconnects from the mount for easy removal and storage, so I'll just plan on quickly removing it when I also remove the headrests.

No issues with the cooler other than as noted. I don't usually access the cooler, and now I can store my phone and iPod in the armrest. Only main gripe is that latching my seatbelt is a slight bit more involved with the seatbelt receptacle sitting underneath the armrest. Easy to flip up the armwrest, but something I didn't have to do before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.