Time to replace brake fluid? Also, brake recall - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
cscotts
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Question Time to replace brake fluid? Also, brake recall

Hello,

I have a 2007 E that just crossed its 3 year mark. I also just recently got one of the brake recall notices in the mail.

My question is, I read that Honda recommends replacing the brake fluid every 3 years. Should this be done? If I'm taking the E into the dealership for the warranty work, should I ask them to replace the fluid as well? (any guesses as to what this should cost?) My understanding from reading the forums here is that they do NOT replace the brake fluid when doing the warranty work.

I've never taken my E to the dealership here (Durham, NC - Crown Honda) as I've heard mixed things and have a shop I like..

Any advice? Thanks!

-K
cscotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
ApriliaGuy
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EXS AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Yes....the fluid should be replaced every 3 years.

It can be done before or after the warranty work (I recomend after) by yourself or by your favorite shop.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
dammitjim
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

You should change it. It would probably run around $50 at a dealer.

If you can remove a wheel and turn a 10mm wrench you can change it yourself.
dammitjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
bloomcounty
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 2WD LX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I don't believe my brake fluid has ever been changed. I know that "inspect brake fluid" was on the list of stuff they did for the 20K "service" (so I would assume they'd say if there was a problem with it?) -- and I'm about to go in for the 30K service, and "inspect brake fluid" is on there again.

Do I need to specifically ask them to change it then? You'd think they'd tell you it needed it (especially since the manual says every three years).

(Or maybe they did chance it last time... but I don't think so.)

Thanks!

Note: I'm not part of the recall.

Last edited by bloomcounty; 07-14-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added note.
bloomcounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

My 08 had 60k on it when the brakes were due to be replaced. I replaced all four and siphoned out the brake fluid from the master cylinder and replaced it. Then I took it to the dealer and had the recall work done. When they bled the brakes as part of the recall the fluid was changed. cost $0. (except for the brake job parts)
I understand the modulator needs to be active while bleeding the brakes and I can't do that.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
jcasaccio
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I also had the brake recall done a couple months ago. The work order stated they installed some kit an bled brakes. It got out the fluid by the calipers which gets bad from heat. Prob should still do a full flush this year.
jcasaccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
asm
EOC Rank: Helium

You should. It's not difficult to do with someone in the car to pump the brake.

One thing that's a little unusual is the factory service manual suggest brake bleed sequence. It recommends rear left, rear right, front right and front left. That's different then the conventional wisdom of starting from the brake furthest away from the master cylinder....

B
asm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
bloomcounty
2006 2WD LX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I checked what they did, and they actually changed it as part of the service (and I believe they did on the previous service as well). So I should be good!
bloomcounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
desinia
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Um, I went in under the recall too and they topped off the brake fluid to replace what was used during the bleeding but is that enough to count as "replace brake fluid"? The procedure only allows for one bottle of fluid and they don't even use the whole bottle.

It's not the "next big thing" from Honda - It was the last.
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
breese524
2007 2WD EX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm View Post
You should. It's not difficult to do with someone in the car to pump the brake.

One thing that's a little unusual is the factory service manual suggest brake bleed sequence. It recommends rear left, rear right, front right and front left. That's different then the conventional wisdom of starting from the brake furthest away from the master cylinder....

B
If you follow the brake lines to the passenger side of the car, you will find that they pass through the VSA/ABS module there before going to the individual wheels. Therefore, R LFT would be the longest line.
breese524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Tags
brakes , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.