04 e hood release knob - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
broll
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

04 e hood release knob

The interior plastic hood release knob snapped off. Anyone know if I can replace just that piece?? ... or is this an entire cable assembly deal? I wouldn't mind that so much, but it looks like I need to pull off the whole driver side fender to pull out the old cable. Not having much luck with google or ebay.

Thanks all!

Last edited by broll; 06-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.
broll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

It's an assembly, Honda p/n 74130-SCV-A00ZA, and pretty cheap.

Broll, please fill in your profile.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 06-04-2010 at 10:53 PM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Dom.five
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2006 4WD EXS AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Just tape a string to the old one before you pull it out. Then use the string to pull in the new cable. It's easy.

Dom
Home made Grill guard, Blacked out lower front bumper trim,and Grill, Undercoating, Vent-Visors, Bug deflector, EOC Sticker, Honda Floor mats, Honda Wheel locks, Eurotech Engineering Fog lights, Dual tone Horn from a junk Caddie, Oh and the 2.98$ walfart windshield tint strip, that's got to go when EOC puts one out. U-haul hitch with factory Honda harness. Garmin GPSmap276C True, I've been IRV'ed , : Misfits waNNAbe's

We love our E's !! ___ We are A 2 E family !
Dom.five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
broll

Thank you

Thanks for the answers folks. I actually thought about the string, the one hitch is that the old cable is tightly secured inside the fender by several plastic retaining clips and will not easily pull. I'll get it figured out...
Thanks again!

Moderator - will update profile asap.
broll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
stormy
2006 2WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Hood latch mechanaism

My daughter pulled the hood latch off...and thied to glue it on and it fell off on the floor today....so she is grounded and how much is it to get fixed?????

My other car is a Dodge Charger R/T..Far from stock
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Hap-E
2008 4WD LX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

It happened to me too.

I was driving down the street yesterday and heard something fall to the floor on my left side. I forgot about it until this morning when I was getting into my Element and saw part of the hood release knob laying on the floor matt. It looks like it was defective from the factory.
Hap-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
JeffN
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Had this happen a week or so ago. The plastic pull just snapped off.
Ordered online, shipping was more expensive than the part.
Took my '04 in for the recall on the key/ignition and asked how much $ to do the new cable.
$180.00!!!!
They are crazy. There's no way I'm going to pay someone $180 to install a part that costs under $20.
Having said that, I have vise grips in the glove-box if I have to pop the hood. I'll wait for warmer weather before doing this myself.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
AZelementman
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Fix for broken hood release

This is an easy fix. Don't try to remove the broken plastic from the old cable, just sand the end smooth or file it flat if need be. Mine was a clean break, so I didn't have to touch the cable end. Saw or file off the broken portion on the back of the handle that protrudes, leaving the back flat. Then drill a hole centered where the center of the hole (the steel cable) used to be. Enlarge the hole with a reamer or a rat-tail file until you can fit the handle over the broken off portion of the cable (the tighter the better.) Then using J B Weld (a two-part epoxy resin) glue the handle over the cable end. My repair took all of fifteen minutes and seems as good as new. (let the epoxy cure overnight)

Steve
Attached Images

AZelementman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
illig
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Broken hood release - cheap fix possible?

So I tried to open my hood recently, and rather than pulling out slightly and giving that satisfying 'thunk' - the hood release just came off in my hands :(

I looked up the replacement procedure in the service manual, and it seems to indicate that the cable/release is a single part - can anyone confirm? if this is the case, is there a way to rig it to work otherwise? I'm thinking epoxy or something - but would need to know if i need to glue the handle to the outer cover or try to get it connected to the metal cable directly....
illig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
looks like # 7 , and you will have to change the whole cable assembley , here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...&catcgry5=HOOD
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
handle , hood , latch , release

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.