Ball Joint Replacement - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Jackson49
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Ball Joint Replacement

I was changing my oil this weekend and noticed that my ball joint dust covers are torn and exposing the ball joints. This probably accounts for the occasional creak I am getting from the front end. I am thinking there is water and dirt intrusion inside so I may as well replace them. I have noticed that Moog makes a replacement ball joint assembly but it must be pressed in. If I use OEM I have to buy a complete steering knuckle assembly to get a new ball joint. If I am going to do that I may as well install new half shaft bearings while I'm at it. Anyone have any suggestions / comments. My mileage is 106K plus.

Thanks...Jackson
Honda Window Vent Shades, Honda Hood Air Deflector, Honda E Front and Rear Carpeted Floor Mats, Honda E Front Seat Covers, Honda E Rear Compartment Storage Tray, Remote Starter System, Painted Trim Panels, EOC Decal, Side Marker Flashing Mod, Upper and Lower Billet Grilles, Dual Horns , Chrome Exhaust Finisher, Accord Alloys, Navigation (Garmin), Driver Storage Armrest, Super Bright LED Front / Rear Overhead Interior Lamps and LED 3rd Brake Light. Honda Factory Technical Manual.
Jackson49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Related threads
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=56522
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=58595
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=53227
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...d.php?p=807130

Last edited by ramblerdan; 08-09-2010 at 09:07 AM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
LeadFoot
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Great links, ramblerdan. I read through all of them, but still have a couple of questions with regard to a lower ball joint.

In my case, the driver side lower ball joint boot has become torn. On one of the linked threads above when somebody else asked about that, you wrote:

Since the boot alone is a $3 item, I hope that quote is for a new knuckle and ball joint combo ($180 list). Besides, replacing just the boot is risky unless you know it was just torn yesterday.

Mine was not torn "yesterday", so it sounds like just replacing the boot is out. Now - on to my questions...

A. Do I really have to go to a Honda Dealer Service Center to have the repair performed, or is the lower ball joint a standard service procedure I could have safely performed by a competent local mechanic's shop?

B. If going to Honda, do they sell the lower ball joints in single units - or will I have to buy a pair even though the other side is in excellent condition? It sounds like in the threads linked above, I have to buy the entire knuckle/arm or whatever one calls it. Part lists for $130 at Majestic Honda if that is what is needed.

C. I did speak with the nearest Honda Dealer Service Center (about 25 miles from me) who said on the first appointment I could bring it in and they would check to see what it needs and order the parts. So, does that mean I would be paying for the initial service check appointment and the subsequent return to have the repair performed?

D. Is it safe to drive with the lower ball joint torn boot until Monday when I can have it looked at by either the dealer or a local mechanic. I hear no creaking and there is no degradation in steering that I can feel. I only discovered it yesterday while changing the oil. So I have to wager a guess that it has torn in the last 5-7K miles since my prior oil change.

Thanks.

LeadFoot

Last edited by LeadFoot; 08-14-2010 at 07:52 AM.
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

> Do I really have to go to a Honda Dealer Service Center to have the
> repair performed

No, any competent shop can do this. If just replacing the boot, they need to be careful not to damage the bottom threads on the ball joint, since it's going to be reused. Calls for the Honda thread protector tool p/n 07AAF-SDAA100, or equivalent.

It's a bear to separate the ball joint stud from the lower control arm, as you've no doubt read, but a well-equipped garage should have a good extractor tool, either a lever type like Honda p/n 07MAC-SL00200 / 07MAC-SL00202, or a screw type commonly used on Pittman arms. They might also use the lever trick, but they should not use a pickle fork (either manual or pneumatic), as that can damage the LCA.

> If going to Honda, do they sell the lower ball joints in single units -
> or will I have to buy a pair even though the other side is in excellent
> condition?

They will sell one side, but the entire knuckle, not just the ball joint. Installation entails pressing in a new bearing and also replacing the ABS sensor, since it seems the original can't be removed without damage. That's what makes the Moog ball joint so attractive: You can reuse your knuckle, though it still has to be removed so the new ball joint can be pressed in. A Honda shop likely won't do that for you.

> I did speak with the nearest Honda Dealer Service Center (about 25 miles
> from me) who said on the first appointment I could bring it in and they
> would check to see what it needs and order the parts. So, does that mean
> I would be paying for the initial service check appointment and the
> subsequent return to have the repair performed?

You'll have to get that answer from them. If they say they'll diagnose for free (or waive the diagnosis fee if they do the work), get it in writing, or at the very least record the name of the person who made the promise and the time/date of the call.

> Is it safe to drive with the lower ball joint torn boot until Monday
> when I can have it looked at by either the dealer or a local mechanic.

99% likelihood that it's fine to drive.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 08-14-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
LeadFoot
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Thanks so much for the follow up answers. The Moog sounds like the way to go and I will speak to a local mechanic about doing the job. Unfortunately, the guy who does that type of work that I trust is on vacation for a week.

I checked your Element site. I love your mods - especially the steering wheel.

LeadFoot
Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
AztecRol
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Send a message via AIM to AztecRol Send a message via MSN to AztecRol Send a message via Yahoo to AztecRol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot View Post
Thanks so much for the follow up answers. The Moog sounds like the way to go and I will speak to a local mechanic about doing the job. Unfortunately, the guy who does that type of work that I trust is on vacation for a week.

I checked your Element site. I love your mods - especially the steering wheel.

LeadFoot
Did you see this in the Trading Post??

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=65159

AztecRol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
LeadFoot
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecRol View Post
Did you see this in the Trading Post??

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=65159
Hey, thanks for that link.

I don't need both, as it is only one side that is facaulked. Assuming, that is, that the work could be done on one of the lower ball joints that would involve swapping out from the OEM Honda fall joint to a Moog while leaving the other side OEM and as is since it is in good shape.

If I can't do it that way and I need the pair - well, that link may become useful provided they are not already sold.

So the question is: Do I need to do both at the same time, or is it okay to just repair the one that needs it?

LeadFoot
Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

You can do only one if you like. Depending on the mileage, the other side might need replacement not long after.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
LeadFoot
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
You can do only one if you like. Depending on the mileage, the other side might need replacement not long after.
The other side has already been replaced (Honda part) due to an accident - so it is only 20K miles old. I bought this particular 2005 Element for my son. It's a salvage rebuild.

Everything is set for a Thursday morning repair with the Moog.

LeadFoot
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
proteus9119
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Honda Dealer replacing ball joint with OEM ball joint

my passenger side joint went out this weekend, and the other has a ripped boot. i searched around for posts and discovered that you can't get the ball joint alone you have to get the knuckle, unless going with Moog.

i just spoke to a local Honda dealer and they said they would do the ball joints with Honda OEM parts and that they did not need to replace the whole knuckle.

i also contacted an independant mech who specializes in Hondas (Honnaman, reynoldsburg, OH) who has done work for me in the past and whom i generally like very much. He said Honda would only sell him the whole knuckle, like everyone else's experience making his repair about twice the cost of the dealer's quote.

has anyone else heard of Honda doing just the ball joint? I'm worried it may be a low ball estimate to get me in the door and then i get a call saying 'oh, yeah our bad it is the whole knuckle and it'll be 3 times as much as we quoted"
proteus9119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.