03 Element strange ignition problem & sound - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
jamesday07
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD DX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

03 Element strange ignition problem & sound

Hello all, this is my first post, great site here!! My 03 E does not start on the first try, sometimes 200 tries later it works. I turn the key to start and hear a buzzing noise from around the steering wheel area. It does it every time I turn the key to III. I'll get a BZZ..BZZ...BZZ until i turn the key the same way and finally get the car to start normally.

My battery is brand new, alternator is fine. Starter is hard to test due to location on the E. Any other ideas (relays, ignition components)? Im mostly lost and have been to a few mechanics, they all say "Wow, I've never heard that before." I don't want to change a starter for $700 if it's something easy.

I have not ever been stranded due to the problem yet, but it's getting worse not better. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.
jamesday07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Jackson49
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

starting problems

You have a new battery and that is a good thing. You may want to double check all your connections to ensure they are corrosion free, clean and secure. Corroded and/or loose connections can prevent electrical components from functioning properly. Start with the battery connections. When you are confident that all the connections are good I would then look at the condition of the starter. Usually a starter has to be removed to be tested. You did not mention how many miles you had on your E. Hope this helps.
Honda Window Vent Shades, Honda Hood Air Deflector, Honda E Front and Rear Carpeted Floor Mats, Honda E Front Seat Covers, Honda E Rear Compartment Storage Tray, Remote Starter System, Painted Trim Panels, EOC Decal, Side Marker Flashing Mod, Upper and Lower Billet Grilles, Dual Horns , Chrome Exhaust Finisher, Accord Alloys, Navigation (Garmin), Driver Storage Armrest, Super Bright LED Front / Rear Overhead Interior Lamps and LED 3rd Brake Light. Honda Factory Technical Manual.
Jackson49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Dom.five
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2006 4WD EXS AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Sounds like the contacts in the ignition switch are going bad.

Or the relay is sticking open.

Dom
Home made Grill guard, Blacked out lower front bumper trim,and Grill, Undercoating, Vent-Visors, Bug deflector, EOC Sticker, Honda Floor mats, Honda Wheel locks, Eurotech Engineering Fog lights, Dual tone Horn from a junk Caddie, Oh and the 2.98$ walfart windshield tint strip, that's got to go when EOC puts one out. U-haul hitch with factory Honda harness. Garmin GPSmap276C True, I've been IRV'ed , : Misfits waNNAbe's

We love our E's !! ___ We are A 2 E family !

Last edited by Dom.five; 08-13-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Dom.five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Tim Vance
EOC Rank: Iron
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Send a message via MSN to Tim Vance
I remember seeing a post about this some time ago, and have the exact same sound...
It's actually a common thing...

you are turning the key too slowly - the ignition is making initial contact, and you get the bzzz noise. Just turn the key quickly thru this, and you won't hear the noise so often. It will still happen, but it's normal

As to the E not starting, that is another issue, not related to the noise from the ignition. What do you mean, it won't start?
Are you turning the key all the way thru the bzzz noise to the start position, or holding it at III while it buzzes??

you need to turn the key quickly, thru the buzz, all the way to start...

I'll have to see if I can find the previous posts - edit - found it - look here

www.facebook.com/SavetheHondaE​lement.
Tim and Elaine are Honoured to be amongst the Founders of the Misfits est. 14 July 05

Last edited by Tim Vance; 08-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Tim Vance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
cyclotour
EOC Rank: Helium
2009 *Former Element owner
Rallye Red (RR)

starting problem

I have a starting problem but very different. My Honda dealer has not been able to figure it out.
GEt in, insert key, try to start, turns over but does not start. Turn key off, all indicator lights blinking, clicking sound from passenger side (computer?). Try starting a few more times and it finally goes. Sometimes after one of these incidents the gauges are not working, no backlight when I turn the headlights on, radio works but no backlight, brake light is on. After a few minutes or a few miles, everything comes on to normal. This is an inconsistent problem, it is not related to the car being locked. I have just recently noticed that the key indicator may be on and if so, the problem occurs. This has probably been so since the problem started but I just noticed it.(I usually just get in, stick the key in, turn it and expect to go somewhere.)
Also, the instrument panel does not have a backlight unless the headlights are on. The dealer says that I have never had a daytime backlight but I think I did. I noticed it after not driving for a month so maybe my memory is bad.
The rest of the problem started a couple of weeks later with what I thought was a dead battery. Battery was replaced and the car started but then the problem now continues to occur.
I cannot find a relationship to rain or shine, parked inside or out, locked or not.
cyclotour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
buzz , hard start , ignition , noise , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.