Is a Softer Ride Possible? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
alanfreed88
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Omni Blue Pearl (OBP)

Is a Softer Ride Possible?

I love the Element, this is my third, but the ride is so stiff and the back country roads in the Northeast are so bumpy that it sounds like the dashboard is going to fall out a half dozen times every day. Has anyone ever installed after market shocks that soften the ride?
alanfreed88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Welcome, Alanfreed88.

There are few aftermarket choices out there, and IIRC most substitutions have been done for performance, not comfort. Poke around the site, though, and see what turns up.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
rprossil
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Softer ride

I see that your E is a 2010, but you may want to consider doing a tire upgrade for comfort. The OEM Goodyears don't ride that well. Both sets of replacements that I've used on mine have given me a better ride than the originals. If the miles are low enough on your OEMs you might even be able to sell them for a few dollars yet. Good luck.
rprossil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
mkh
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprossil View Post
I see that your E is a 2010, but you may want to consider doing a tire upgrade for comfort. The OEM Goodyears don't ride that well. Both sets of replacements that I've used on mine have given me a better ride than the originals. If the miles are low enough on your OEMs you might even be able to sell them for a few dollars yet. Good luck.
Ditto that - the Goodyear's are not great for ride or wear. I've Kumho's on mine, and they made a significant improvement in the ride. On rough roads, a little weight in the back helps too.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
macmini05
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 4WD LX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

i agree that the ride is stiff as well. I live in Metro Detroit and the roads are not good at all. Plus I went up north this past summer and i have driven the back dirt roads as well. The ones that are hard dirt with the "ripples" or "waves" on the road. I have General Grabbers and the ride has not got any softer. Sometimes my passsenger door rattles as well.

I love the E too but it is a stiff vehicle. I have a CRV and a Camry and the E is the stiffest ride of all of them. My tires are at 32psi as well. All I can say is that maybe better struts will help???? Other that that, there is not much that helps. The heavier loads in the rear, or 4 passengers actually make the ride over bumps worse, npt better.

I believe most people have better roads that where I drive. I never give the ride in my E a second thought outside the Metro area unless I am on a wavy dirt road or a road that is pot hole ridden.
06' Atomic Blue Element LX 4WD. Added OEM rubber mats, keyless entry, bug deflector from ATS / Lund, Home Depot aluminum gutter guard grill screen (precut not in a roll) painted black, General Grabber HTS tires and Duralast 56-DL upgrade....
:-P
macmini05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Be careful not to modify for "softer ride" without considering that the E has a very short wheelbase for it's weight and size. What you may discern as a hard ride has contribution from the chassis/wheel dynamics accountable in the short "lever arm" distance between the wheels. That you can't fix, it is a just a fact of life.
MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
shocks , soft ride , softer ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.