Pulled over for driving with Foglights on... - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
nextgenxx
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD LX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Pulled over for driving with Foglights on...

DON'T KNOW IF THIS POST GOES HERE BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A PROBLEM....

So for Xmas I got a couple Sonic Drive-In Gift Cards, and on on 1/1/11 New Years Day on my way back from picking up some food (which I never go to Sonics-EVER) I got pulled over by the police for driving with my fog lights on. :( (The time was about 5pm - Dusk) The cop told me it was illegal to drive with fog lights on, and I told him I didn't know that it was illegal. Also, how come it is illegal if all other suv, subarus, and cars have fog lights too? He told me you can ONLY use fog lights like Hi-Beam Headlights, you can turn them on, but have to turn them off when you see other traffic approaching 500 feet......So the police officer took all my info, came back to the car and started telling my all the infractions I was going to get, driving with fog lights, need new license cuz it was cracked, need new license cuz I moved, totaling around $500 in fines, etc, etc.... then he said, just to let you know this will be a warning and let me go with no tickets...Thank god for his decision. So I have a few things to go take care of but all in all I didn't know it was illegal to drive with fog lights on. Anybody else been pulled over for driving with fog lights before? Also my lights are BlingLights that I installed as a MOD, I might not use them for a while....
nextgenxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Bowzer
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Did you have only the foglights on or were your low beams on as well?

Either way, I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of foglights being illegal to run. Properly installed foglights would be less intrusive to oncoming traffic than even lowbeams. Go check that specific law/regulation on your state's books.

Acura has some vehicles using DRLs upfront in same position as fogs. What kind of infraction would that be? What about other new LED DRLs? They're just as bright and more dispersed to oncoming traffic sightlines. I smell some form of BS...
Member #23,382
160k Miles and Rolling
Lotsa Honda's...Lotsa miles
08 ASM EX AWD AT
Mods to Date: OEM Fogs, Home Depot Grill, Dual Dome Light Operation, ProClips G1 Phone Holder
Mods to Come: The unrealized one's with good intentions: Side Marker Blinker Ops, Additional Interior Lighting, Roof Rack, Rear Fogs; The reality: assorted scratches, scuffs, and hidden french fries
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
redwing blackbird
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 4WD LX MT
Rallye Red (RR)

found this info:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Veh_Equipment.shtml

17) What are the laws for using auxiliary lights or fog lights in Oregon?

Answer: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber.
On page 60 of the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual it states: "It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section ( states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."
redwing blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
BrownSquirrel
2004 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Glad you didn’t get a ticket for it but it looks like he is correct.

Assuming you live in Oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/V...fog_lights.pdf
AVS Bugflector II, AVS Vent Shades, 20% Window tint,
Drivers Side Armrest w/storage, Super Hunter Bull Bar (BK),
07 Front & Rear Black Bumper Garnish, 225/70/16 Michelin LTX M/S
BrownSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
1AB JAG
2009 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

I hate to tell you this (cuz its stupid) but the cop is right. The (Oregon) law groups all "auxilary" lights wether they are fogs or driving lights in the same category and states that they are to be used like high beams (when they won't affect on-coming drivers). That being said, it is rare for an LEO to pull over someone using factory installed fogs especially if they are properly adjusted. Does your E have factory or aftermarket fog lights? The reason I ask is that a lot of people do not know the difference between fog lights (used for inclement weather conditions) and driving lights (which are essentially bolt on high beams). I'm not implying that you don't know the difference but if you are running driving lights under the impression that they are fog lights that could explain why you were pulled over.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
tangboy5000
2003 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Even though it is clearly pointed out in the law, he was most likely using it as an excuse to check sobriety, which is why you got warnings instead of tickets. Based on that law HID headlights are illegal also I would assume.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
nextgenxx
2007 4WD LX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I did fog light mod install, purchasing fog lights from blinglights.com, they are sold here through the EOC store link. I have them aimed towards the ground and way below the headlight beams, so don't know other then that. Here is my Mod Install

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=62541

I was driving with my low beam & fog lights on. I know these lights are bright, but I feel that if more people can see you coming the better chances are you won't get hit or in an accident on the road. I really think I was being pulled over to be ticketed for something bigger if he could have found something "real" to ticket. All in all glad nothing happened and just got a warning. Now off to fix the license...
nextgenxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
1AB JAG
2009 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Looks like a nice job on the install. It all comes down to the beam pattern, if they are true fog lights and you are running the proper watt bulbs and have them adjusted correctly the police should leave you alone. On the other hand the police do, as some others have said, use such issues as probable cause to look for drinking drivers etc. If the lights are a driving light pattern then (even if they are adjusted low) it's like driving around with your high beams on and would be a lot more likely to get the wrong kind of attention. Not to mention potentially blinding other drivers.

A lot (maybe too much) info here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Bowzer
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Wow...grouping all aux lights together is a new one to me. Good thing it's always crystal clear there in OR.

I think the sentiment you were being checked out a bit sounds correct. Wrong place and time I guess...
Member #23,382
160k Miles and Rolling
Lotsa Honda's...Lotsa miles
08 ASM EX AWD AT
Mods to Date: OEM Fogs, Home Depot Grill, Dual Dome Light Operation, ProClips G1 Phone Holder
Mods to Come: The unrealized one's with good intentions: Side Marker Blinker Ops, Additional Interior Lighting, Roof Rack, Rear Fogs; The reality: assorted scratches, scuffs, and hidden french fries
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing blackbird View Post
found this info:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Veh_Equipment.shtml

17) What are the laws for using auxiliary lights or fog lights in Oregon?

Answer: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber.
On page 60 of the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual it states: "It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section ( states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."
The key spec here is: "glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver" and "300 candle power". Fog lamps, to be effective should be aimed low - under the fog. OEM DRLs, even if installed in the same position as fog lamps or headlamps do not approach 300 cp. Properly installed, DRLs will automatically extinguish whenever headlamps are active. If fog lamps are properly installed and properly used -ONLY WHEN THERE IS FOG- you're less likely to be improperly ticketed.

Here's my basic circuit for DRL compliance. V4 removes lamp power when parking or headlamps are energized.
Attached Images

Last edited by psschmied; 01-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.