07MAC-SL00200, 28 mm ball joint remover - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
asp
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX MT

07MAC-SL00200, 28 mm ball joint remover

I just purchased the OEM Honda 28 mm ball joint remover. The tool number listed in the OEM Honda 2003-2005 ELEMENT Service Manual is 07MAC-SL00200. This was also the tool number stamped in the tool casting itself. However, the tool number on my receipt and plastic zip lock bag package was 07MAC-SL00202 and the receipt states that part number 07MAC-SL00202 replaces 07MAC-SL00200. So, my question is did just the part number change, or has the tool changed as well? It also struck me as odd that a bulky, heavy and expensive tool like this would be packaged in a plastic zip lock bag. This would not be the first time that a part was 'repackaged' for some reason at source, usually at the expense of the unsuspecting customer. I have asked for an explanation from the dealership and Honda Canada, and so far nothing.
asp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
lizzurd
On Vacation
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
I just purchased the OEM Honda 28 mm ball joint remover. The tool number listed in the OEM Honda 2003-2005 ELEMENT Service Manual is 07MAC-SL00200. This was also the tool number stamped in the tool casting itself. However, the tool number on my receipt and plastic zip lock bag package was 07MAC-SL00202 and the receipt states that part number 07MAC-SL00202 replaces 07MAC-SL00200. So, my question is did just the part number change, or has the tool changed as well? It also struck me as odd that a bulky, heavy and expensive tool like this would be packaged in a plastic zip lock bag. This would not be the first time that a part was 'repackaged' for some reason at source, usually at the expense of the unsuspecting customer. I have asked for an explanation from the dealership and Honda Canada, and so far nothing.

Most special tools we get come only packaged in a plastic bag with a small white part number tag on it.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
asp
2004 4WD EX MT

Thanks Lizzurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
Most special tools we get come only packaged in a plastic bag with a small white part number tag on it.
Thanks for the info Lizzurd. OK then, the bag is typical, although I still think a bit odd packaging for such a tool.

So then, when a part number is replaced is it just the part number that changes for logistic reasons or does the part actually change? I'm sure that the tool is new and will work as intended, I'm just curious about these kinds of things, as I have received repackaged parts that were incorrect in the past? I just like things to make sense. Perhaps there was a redesign, but the stamped casting part was already manufactured? Or perhaps just the number changed? I added the pics here. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
lizzurd
On Vacation
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Typically when a part number is changed it was either a change in the design of the part or a change in vendor. With a vendor change the part may be identical but for identification purposes the number is changed.

Honda works in odd ways at times. After 22 years i just stopped trying to figure it out and just nod and smile.

(If anyone from head office is reading this...I will be bringing coffee and donuts when i come up for training at the end of the month).
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Some Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
Honda works in odd ways at times. After 22 years i just stopped trying to figure it out and just nod and smile.
Everytime we'd get a new parts counterperson, I'd advise them that, as they are struggling to locate a part number, to keep in mind Honda's un-official corporate motto:

" It doesn't have to make sense, we're not Toyota "

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia (not my website)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Some Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
So, my question is did just the part number change, or has the tool changed as well?
Someone, somewhere, managed to have the original tool pop out under tension and the unrestrained tool flew off in a hazardous fashion.

The new tool, your tool, has been modified by the addition of a chain attachment to keep the tool from flying away should you use the tool in an improper fashion.

The part number change reflects that the tool is a modified version of the original tool.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia (not my website)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
asp
2004 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
The new tool, your tool, has been modified by the addition of a chain attachment to keep the tool from flying away should you use the tool in an improper fashion.
Thanks "Some Mook", you are correct. There is a ring and chain attached to the tool, which was not there on the previous iteration. The chain will be annoying and in the way, and will certainly be removed before proper use (for safety reasons). I was wondering why this tool had a chain attached to it, and now I know. No wonder it was on back order for so long. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.