Oil?? leaking from under passenger side floor? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
tourgirl
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Unhappy Oil?? leaking from under passenger side floor?

Ok. So, I just bought a used, certified 2006 Element with just under 45k on it. Great looking vehicle. I've had it a week. Tonight, I noticed something very scary, though. The floor is a little warped, especially on the passenger side, so I got over there and pushed on it. Much to my horror, I noticed a pool of a watery/slightly greasy liquid along the edge of the floor (door side up to under glove box). The windows weren't left down, the seal on the door is good, I've had no one in the vehicle, and I've had no drinks in the vehicle. I have NO idea what this could be...and it's not from the AC drain thing being clogged, because it's 10 degrees over here.

Any suggestions? I'm really worried I bought something with major issues...
tourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
ploeg8393
2004 2WD EX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

if you just bought a certified honda you need to go back to the dealership and raise hell. I don't know what that could be, there is nothing in that area that could be leaking a fluid like that.

Can you get a picture of it?
ploeg8393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
tourgirl
2006 4WD EX AT

Probably a good idea...my dad mentioned that it might be the heater core - but my dad often pretends to be a mechanic (he likes make-believe). Perhaps he's right. Any thought on that theory?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
ploeg8393
2004 2WD EX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

actually that is very possible. But what goes through the heater core is coolant. It is a bright, almost neon green color. Unless it is old then i don't know what you would get. But if the heater core is leaking you would probably know about it unless it is a very slow leak. The cooling system is pressurized and you would probably notice a smell when you had the car running. Any smells while you are driving?

What color is the fluid?
ploeg8393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
tourgirl
2006 4WD EX AT

Yeah...none of this is adding up. The liquid is dirty colored...that's all I can really say. It's coming out from under a used floor :) It does seem slightly slick, like there may be antifreeze in it, but the heater works REALLY well, and having owned crap vehicles in the past, I pick up on antifreeze smell like a bloodhound. There is NO odor in the vehicle.

Ugh. I'm draggin' this thing in to the dealer tomorrow. God help any tech who tells me I left my window open or calls me "baby"...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
jdiane
EOC Rank: Neon
2007 4WD LX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

The passenger side footwell is naturally lumpy. A square bump up by the center, a trench along the outside wall, and usually a bit bubbly in other places too. It could be the AC because if it is 10 degrees you are probably running the defrost, and that is using the AC, even if the AC light is not on. Any water on the floor is going to be slippery, even if it is just water. But, yeah, if you just got it, take it back and have them check it out.

And welcome to the EOC. Lots of good stuff on here.

Other car: 1999 Acura Integra 150000 miles

jdiane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
tourgirl
2006 4WD EX AT

Ahh. Well, the greasy feel led me to go check under the hood. Where I found that my antifreeze well is bone dry, and there is a lovely film of antifreeze sheen covering everything in the engine. Also, the windshield fluid well (which I filled yesterday) is completely empty.

Certified, my ass. Does anyone know if Honda does anything about stuff like this? Fraudulent certifications?

RRRrrrrr!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
tourgirl
2006 4WD EX AT

Major coolant leak on certified Honda...advice needed

So. I purchased a certified 2006 Element last Monday. We were hit later that day with a huge blizzard, so I just started driving it around a few days ago...seems to be great. Until...I noticed a greasy watery substance along the door side of the passenger floor. Lots of it. Being greasy, I lifted the hood...and behold. The Coolant reservoir is completely empty, as is the windshield fluid well, which I topped off yesterday. There is a thin, greasy film of coolant all over the top of the engine.

How, in the name of bunnies and unicorns, could someone call this certified? Does Honda penalize dealers who "certify" broken vehicles? Any advice on what to do (other than drive directly to the dealer first thing tomorrow and raise hell?)

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
bigsmokes
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EXS AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Go right back to the dealer,,,i know your upset,, but be calm,,
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
tourgirl
2006 4WD EX AT

*Deep breath*...I'm going to try to be calm :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
certified , coolant , floor leak , greasy , lemon , oily , passenger side , rip-off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.