Low Tire Pressure Light On - But Actually Tire Pressure OK - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
psyence
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 2WD EX AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Low Tire Pressure Light On - But Actually Tire Pressure OK

I was about to pull out of my garage this morning when I noticed that the Low Tire Pressure Light was on. I got out and checked the pressures of all of the tires. My rear right tire was low on pressure, so I went ahead and put some air in.

Even after putting in some air and checking the rest of the tires (33 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the rear) the light remains on.

What's the deal? Do I need to take it in to get the TPMS re-calibrated? Please advise.
psyence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Did you drive it afterward? The light should go off after a few blocks.
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Rob Dobbs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

The light should go off but it could take a full day or more. The rapid temperature changes we have had here in CA may have something do with it.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Do what I did. Yank the bulbs for the stupid TPMS and low tire pressure indicators. Cars have been fine for a really long time before these sensors came into play. The TPMS system doesn't tie into anything else in the car, including air bags or the traction control system.
Island E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
MICHAEL WATTS
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

I had a 2007 SC and had nothing but trouble with the tire pressure light on dash( the little tire) but it was after the warrenty was out. Sold that one and got a 2010 SC and last week that same dam light came on again, but only 2000 miles on SC. I put some air in and it went off for now. There is some kind of problem with them. Too sensitive I think.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Pull the bulbs out.
Island E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
seasideday
2011 2WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Exactly what tire pressure activates tpms

I can't find anywhere that Honda says the exact tech specs for tpms. Like any tire below xx lbs. of air pressure and that will set it off. Also, does not say any tire xx% below the average pressure of the other three tires will set it off. The only thing I can find is that if the "tire pressure is significantly low" that will set it off. What a crock of crap. What does that mean. Is that the best Honda engineering can do??? Does anybody have this information?
seasideday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
lizzurd
On Vacation
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

From the FSM:

Tire pressure sensor
Each sensor is an integrated unit made up of the tire valve stem, a pressure sensor, and a transmitter. The unit is
attached to the inside of the wheel, around the valve stem. The sensor transmits the internal tire information to the
TPMS control unit once every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 28 mph (45 km/h). When the TPMS control unit receives a tire pressure signal that is less than: Except SC model 190 kPa (1.9 kgf/cm2, 28 psi), SC model 175 kPa
(1.8 kgf/cm2, 25 psi), the TPMS control unit then turns on the low tire pressure indicator. When that tire's pressure is increased to more than: Except SC model 210 kPa (2.1 kgf/cm2, 30 psi), SC model 200 kPa (2.0 kgf/cm2, 29 psi), and the vehicle is driven above 28 mph (45 km/h) the transmitter sends the tire pressure signal to the TPMS control unit, and then the TPMS control unit turns the indicator off.

NOTE: Do not mix the tire pressure sensors or TPMS type

Last edited by AztecRol; 12-16-2011 at 06:53 PM.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
webdevsheriff
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Low temperature = Low pressure light

Just saw this thread - I've been watching some odd behavior with my low pressure indicator as well, although it seems to be directly related to the temperature.

It first came on during an especially cold day. Not ever having a vehicle that fancy, I was concerned and stopped to check the tire pressure. Only one was down and not by very much. Even after adding some air, the light stayed on until a few days later when the temperature had risen a bit.

Haven't had any long runs like that since then, but on the really cold mornings it will come on. It's usually out by the time I leave work later in the day, though.

Doesn't seem like anything to worry about, but I still feel like I need to keep checking. The Element that cried wolf....
webdevsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Funny.. Just last week my light came on due to a nail in the back driver side.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.