Element Camper Conversion: Lets go Camping! - (EOC inspired) - Picture Heavy! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
eddiepbauer
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2011 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Element Camper Conversion: Lets go Camping! - (EOC inspired) - Picture Heavy!

*I just noticed the Romahome R10 thread on the Campers section of this forum and wanted it to be known that it's funny how some things work out: my design and subsequent building took place before I saw that thread (though they do share a remarkable resemblance - i was actually debating on adding a toilet too)

A bit sad to see activity on here has decreased as I've been lurking quite heavily over the years. So I might as well post it now rather than when I'm completely finished (have no idea when that is).

I recently purchased a Honda Element EX 2011 in August, and have since designed and am in the midst of building the conversion

The design was inspired by other conversations I saw on this forum and should look familiar enough to people who keep track:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=67742
http://jpjespersen.blogspot.com/2006...ing-there.html

The program i used was Google Sketchup - it's free!

The camper itself is split into 3 sections for easy removal or if you want to add one seat back in or both seats and just keep the lounge area:
1)Cabinet side
2)Seat Side
3)Trunk Side

Contains:
Stove
Fridge (big ice cooler)
Sink (small ice cooler - just cheaper that way)
Waste Water (connected to sink)
Potable water (just a water jug with spout)
Power (one of those car jump-starters with plugs)
Sleeping area for one comfortable or two snuggly
- I'm 5'8" 200lbs, my gf is 5'2 and 115: it's a bit snug, but comfortable enough for two
Dining area for two
Lounge area
3 Storage chest
Carpeted floor (not sure how smart this is)
Curtains (privacy panels courtesy of another EOC thread)

I'm about 80% done building atm. I still need a table leg to make one of the box lids a dining table as well as some material to keep the cushions from sliding around.

The other portion of the lounge area was originally suppose to be a toilet, but after some debate, i found i rather had an area where i could just sit back and look outside the window than a toilet (i'm a guy, and i have tons of plastic bottles) going number 2 on the other hand would require a pitstop :P

Comments, questions, etc., are welcome!

Building Phase: (Disclaimer: I love to build things, but I actually have no wood working skills at all! Things would be so much easier if i knew how :\)

Cushions were made from an ikea foam bed that i got for free on Craigslist and cut up. The covers were also made from the same except with zippers added.

There are no pictures of how the cabinet is built cuz, well... i did a really haphazard job and just stuck everything how I wanted it instead of any real plan. So it's basically picture it how you want it and start cutting and nailing until you get there :P

Last edited by eddiepbauer; 11-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.
eddiepbauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
eddiepbauer
2011 4WD EX AT

The rest of the pictures are just how everything looks like once put together. The finished wood you see are just vinyl tiles that i've cut up and plunked onto the construction (cheap is best!)

Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Welcome, Eddiepbauer.

Hot damn! That's awesome.

> I've been lurking quite heavily over the years

How long were you following the Element world before you finally bought one and posted? This could be a new record. And what an introduction!
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
eddiepbauer
2011 4WD EX AT

hm... i've been lurking on here ever since I read the review for the Honda Element SC (Root Beer Metallic) on Ign.com ... so around 3-4 years? (I was so disappointed when the RBM color never became mainstream!)

Never really had much to say, share, or ask as I'm quite handy with the search function ;) Kind of sad though that some of the older posts lead to broken links
Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

So you've also followed Hooptey and Rishio?
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
eddiepbauer
2011 4WD EX AT

Yep!

I especially loved how Hooptey just custom installed his own little power/cabinet area directly into the car. I actually got the idea of using an ice cooler as a sink from him, although I didn't follow his method of just draining it directly outside for obvious camping reasons (bears! rawr!) I'm a bit disappointed that he never got around to upgrading his element with a pop-up top as he said he will :\

Hooptey: http://ellies-adventures.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
murso74
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD LX AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

that's pretty cool.. although i worry a bit about your propane stove and all the wood around it
murso74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
eddiepbauer
2011 4WD EX AT

Lightbulb

Yeah! Fire and wood is a definite worry, my first test was done with a fire extinguisher on hand! xD

Turned out fine and i have used it a few times without any problems but one of the things I'm to do is to add thin sheets of metal around the areas where the fire might burn (aluminum foil) just for that extra precaution
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Weazul
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD EX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Now that is NICE!
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.