03 Oil Leak!!! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
6Bighorns6
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD LX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

03 Oil Leak!!!

My wives 03 AWD element has developed a significant oil leak from the "front" of the engine, seems to be under the oil filter and possibly from the front cover. I've been searching but can't pinpoint it, lots of oil.. So changed the filter to make sure there is only one gasket etc.. I have lots of experience with Nissans and SHO's but this little engine is a mystery to me and I can't seem to find a manual for it. Any thought's would be helpful, TSB's, front seal, valve cover, oil pump??? Thanks.
6Bighorns6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
eedviking
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Look at the valve cover (while riding the wind carries oil), combining gearbox and engine, steering cables, plug the oil pan. etc..Maybe you have a leak from the steering gear.
Perhaps more accurately describe where in the oil stain under the car?

By the way ........ Welcome to the fans Honda Element. I greet you from Warsaw

Last edited by eedviking; 02-27-2012 at 01:34 PM.
eedviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

When the oil filter is changed a lot of oil gets trapped in the cross member. It drips a lot for a bit then goes away. There is a special tool to avoid it. Are you sure that's not what you are seeing?
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
6Bighorns6
2003 4WD LX AT

Thanks for the replies. It's not from an oil change as it was noticed right before another oil change and I'm always careful to clean up well afterwards.. The spot on the driveway is under the passenger side right under where the oil filter would be and a little to the "front' of the engine and there is oil being thrown in to the wheel well and is covering the CV boot. I asked her if she drove it any differently lately and once she almost got hit by someone and floored it for a few seconds and she hadn't done that before. Also this E has only 50k on it if that makes any difference. Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
6Bighorns6
2003 4WD LX AT

I'm just going to go for it, I've lost a quart in 2 weeks. So my question is for you guys that have done this: Have you gone in from the top or from the wheel well? And any thoughts on what else to change on the way to the crank seal? I've also been unable to find a Haynes or Chilton manual for torque specs etc.. Is one available? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
dgale
2003 2WD DX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Bighorns6 View Post
I'm just going to go for it, I've lost a quart in 2 weeks. So my question is for you guys that have done this: Have you gone in from the top or from the wheel well? And any thoughts on what else to change on the way to the crank seal? I've also been unable to find a Haynes or Chilton manual for torque specs etc.. Is one available? Thanks.
No - to the best of my knowledge a Haynes or Chiltons type manual is not available for the E. The official service manual is available from several vendors, including HandA:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

Best $72 you'll spend on your E - it's a 3-volume set and covers everything imaginable on the car.

As for your oil leak, have you tried cleaning the engine thoroughly with engine cleaner and then watching closely to hopefully get a better idea where the leak(s) are? I know oil leaks can be tricky to track down but if you're losing a quart in two weeks, that's a fairly substantial oil leak and seems like it might reveal itself on a clean engine. I've never had much luck just blindly replacing seals and gaskets trying to solve a mystery oil leak, which at least in the case of my older pre-E cars always ended up being a valve cover gasket, oil filter seal, and/or something like an oil pressure sending unit...even though the mess always made it look like something much more sinister.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
kenscott29
2004 4WD EXS MT

You could degrease it, simple green etc or take it to an open car wash and spray it down. Drive it around and let the engine dry. Then get baby power and put it all over the engine/area. It might help locate the spot.
kenscott29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
6Bighorns6
2003 4WD LX AT

Thanks, will be cleaning it up tomorrow. Never thought of baby powder.. scented or unscented????
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
6Bighorns6
2003 4WD LX AT

Update! I think I've narrowed it down to the electrical fitting just above the oil filter, the one with the blue rubber covering. I don't have a manual yet so I'm wondering what it is, oil pressure sensor or ??. Could I really have lost 2 quarts through this fitting? Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
dgale
2003 2WD DX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Bighorns6 View Post
Update! I think I've narrowed it down to the electrical fitting just above the oil filter, the one with the blue rubber covering. I don't have a manual yet so I'm wondering what it is, oil pressure sensor or ??. Could I really have lost 2 quarts through this fitting? Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.
I'm not sure what that specific fitting is but I've certainly had cars in my past with temperature or oil pressure sending units that leaked enough oil to make a major mess and cause me to have to watch oil levels until I narrowed it down and fixed it...so certainly not out of the question that this could be the cause of your problem. Is it loose? Might want to put a wrench on it and see how snug it is. I'd probably take it off and put a bit of sealant on the threads and then tighten back up. Once you do this, clean everything again and then keep an eye on everything.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.