Key won't turn in ignition/ Need help starting car w/ screwdriver? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
earthotter
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Key won't turn in ignition/ Need help starting car w/ screwdriver?

My 2005 Element 4wd EX with MT- key will not turn in the ignition. The ignition lock seems to be broken as the key works fine in all the locks. I have tried all different kinds of lubes in the ignition and nothing helps. The only Honda dealer anywhere near me want almost $700 to replace the ignition switch and key. This after I pay over $300 to have it towed to them as I live in a very rural area. No local mechanics can do the work as Honda will not release codes for reprogramming keys so even if you buy a used ignition for $40 instead of $400, you cannot get the car to start without the Honda dealer.

I need the car and don't have the money for the repair right now. Even worse I need to move the car asap as it is stuck in a high theft area.

I have read that a few people with similar issues have been able to open the steering column and start the car with a screwdriver as long as the key is in the ignition. Can anyone describe to me how to do this please?
earthotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
illig
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

1st - are you sure your steering wheel isn't just locked? if you've never had this happen accidentally (usually by trying to turn the wheel with the key removed), it feels like a malfunction b/c neither the wheel nor the key want to budge (hell, i nearly had a car towed when this 1st happened to me years ago until my dad smacked some sense into me :D )

Basically, did you try pulling the wheel in one direction or the other, to see if the ignition comes 'unstuck'? Turn the wheel (hard) and gently try turning the key...

2nd - if that's not the case, there are certainly non-honda dealers that can cut and program a honda key. i had mine done by a mobile auto locksmith who had the device to program a new key to the car via the OBDII port. This cost around $80. You may want to call around and see if someone services your area (i'd be very surprised if there isn't one). And if this is the case, you can replace the ignition yourself, no?
illig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
earthotter
2005 4WD EX MT

Thanks but it is not the steering wheel locked. I have had that happen many times. This is completely different and I can move the steering wheel.

And as far as they key, the key is not the problem, the ignition lock is broken. The key works perfectly fine in every other lock on the car, just not the ignition. A week prior to this happening it became very difficult to even get the key in the ignition.

All I'm wondering is if anyone can give me directions on how to start the car with a screwdriver (open up the steering column, etc) so I can move the car.
Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthotter View Post

All I'm wondering is if anyone can give me directions on how to start the car with a screwdriver (open up the steering column, etc) so I can move the car.
Thanks.
If we told you that (assuming we know how) then every Element out there would be in jeopardy of being stolen. Is there a locksmith near you that you can call?
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
earthotter
2005 4WD EX MT

The method I am talking about requires that the key still be in the ignition so no, you could not steal an element this way. The car will not start without the key in the ignition period. Honda has made sure of that.
However, it can start without turning the key if you have a screwdriver. Two posters from old threads have done it... Since I am unable to turn the key I am just wondering if anyone who has done it can tell me how to do the screwdriver method.

And I have contacted every locksmith in my rural area (2 total) and they do not work on honda ignitions specifically because only honda can reprogram a new ignition and key to start the car.

This is a really ridiculous situation that Honda has put us all in frankly; just imagine you are on a trip and the closest Honda dealer is 500 miles from you and all of a sudden your ignition key won't turn and the only solution is to have your car towed 500 miles to the dealer. It happens a lot (judging from all the posts on the internet about it) so be prepared for it- it should probably be a recall.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
Snuffleupagus
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Try this thread.

I personally have not any need for any of the information contained in that thread so I cannot vouch for any of it, but a few posts do mention the Element's ignition lock. You might find something useful in it.

Best of luck.

The funny thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything, it's too late to stop reading it.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

> only honda can reprogram a new ignition and key
You're talking about two different things, the mechanical lock and the electronic immobilizer system. If the ignition lock is malfunctioning, a competent locksmith should be able to repair or replace the lock and make it work with your existing key. Re-keying the lock is not easy or 100% certain, as Locksmith notes in the thread that Snuffleupagus linked to above. But as long as the lock can be made to work with your key, there's no need to reprogram the immobilizer or key.

The only "screwdriver method" I'm familiar with is what thieves do, and it destroys the ignition lock.

Last edited by ramblerdan; 06-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
ramblerdan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

In that thread above is this post which may be what you are looking for.

...or maybe not.

Last edited by GaryS; 06-05-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: URL
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
earthotter
2005 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
> only honda can reprogram a new ignition and key
You're talking about two different things, the mechanical lock and the electronic immobilizer system. If the ignition lock is malfunctioning, a competent locksmith should be able to repair or replace the lock and make it work with your existing key. Re-keying the lock is not easy or 100% certain, as Locksmith notes in the thread that Snuffleupagus linked to above. But as long as the lock can be made to work with your key, there's no need to reprogram the immobilizer or key.

The only "screwdriver method" I'm familiar with is what thieves do, and it destroys the ignition lock.
The ignition lock is already broken so I wouldn't mind breaking it more if it meant I could get my car started. The lock is broken, maybe a more competent lock smith could repair it but my local locksmiths will not waste their time with it. They told me to try a few things (lube, hitting it with a hammer, etc) and if that didn't work it needed to be replaced.

When I called the dealer to price all this out they didn't even need to look anything up. As in the problem is so common they knew off the top of their heads what the costs were. When the mechanical lock is replaced, the new lock and key must be programmed to match the car or vice versa or the car will not start. Only Honda can do this.

Anyway, I've been searching for the threads where a guy said he got his started with a screwdriver but can't find it again Perhaps it was on a different Honda website.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
earthotter
2005 4WD EX MT

I found one of the posts I was talking about> It reads as follows:

"cylinder froze on old ignition. took ignition off and separated the electric portion at the rear of the switch assembly so I could start the car. As long as the key was inserted I could use a screw driver to rotate the switch and start the car. I ordered a new cylinder from an online source but received the entire assembly. When plugged in to all three jacks the car would turn over but not start. What is my next step"

Anyway, I though it was from here but it was from Justanswer.com

Still, if anyone here knows how to do what the guy I'm quoting did, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.