Reverse Light Upgrade? - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
Rob Dobbs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island E View Post
Oooohhhh, maybe I should color the lenses red so the license plate will be red instead of white.
No its just super bright light isnt needed for license plate illumination as its a distraction and I believe red would be illegal. The other issue with the bulbs you posted a picture of is a complete total of 12 led's are not utilized, only the three facing downward are. This also carries over to the front fender marker lights and led's. Ive seen people here locally that replace the stock bulb with an inefficient led that blasts bright light outwards as opposed to illuminating the reflector. Instead of a nice light its a pinpoint eyesore. When I had an 03 EX I tried at least 20 different led's in the fender markers and nothing was acceptable even when using a highly reflective silver gel material to help illuminate the entire reflector. As much as I stand behind led's many misuse them.

Auxiliary reverse lights have always been a great add on when needed. There were many custom cars from the 50's to the 70's that regularly had them as well as trikes and custom motorcycles. One thing I learned was to make sure the light is adjustable to match any possible angle of the roadway if they are mounted too low to the ground. Reason is if your on a reflective or bright surface the light will reflect back at you and actually impair youre vision.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayf View Post
Ebay, search jtech 9w x 2.
Cool. Just ordered 4 of them.
Not sure what all I'll do with all these lights, but I'm sure I can figure something out.
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
ayf
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD LX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island E View Post
Cool. Just ordered 4 of them.
Not sure what all I'll do with all these lights, but I'm sure I can figure something out.
I think you'll be surprised at how bright they are. Because they are non-directional and not in a reflective housing, the light pattern is like a floodlight. They will lighten the area directly behind the E, but not objects that a far away.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I'm thinking daytime running lights.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
E_BikeR
Premium Member
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I like the thought of these for DRL's too. I am thinking of a set in the snap-in bumper cover, but Ayf, I also like your install for reverse lights... makes sense through all the tinted glass in the E. I am putting these on the spring list, too cold to do anything right now at below-zero-every-day-inversion-pollution-yuck!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

What is this below zero stuff you speak of?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
E_BikeR
Premium Member
2006 4WD EX-P AT

Really? I just don't want to hear this tropical talk. You Islanders are smarter than me this time of year, but let's see you take a 2,500 mile road trip!

I don't even mind the cold generally... like to backcountry ski, but the area here in Utah gets hit with this knarly inversion. High pressure builds over us and keeps the valleys super cold while the mountains get the relative warmth... so -12f in the valley(4,750 feet) at the same time of day +38f at 8,400 feet! Bizarre!!!

Surely more than wanted to know, but it might be time to move after this winter!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
ayf
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD LX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_BikeR View Post
I like the thought of these for DRL's too. I am thinking of a set in the snap-in bumper cover, but Ayf, I also like your install for reverse lights... makes sense through all the tinted glass in the E. I am putting these on the spring list, too cold to do anything right now at below-zero-every-day-inversion-pollution-yuck!
I tried the 894 bulb conversion, but I still had a hard time seeing. IMO, the OEM location is too high. Decided to try these and am happy with them. I intended on installing them lower, but because of the threads could not. I've seen these without the threads using 2 sided tape, but not sure if they will stay on. Maybe you can remove the tape and use epoxy instead. Only thing about installing them on the bumper, if someone hits your bumper, they may break. Experienced that with my license plate cover.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
E_BikeR
Premium Member
2006 4WD EX-P AT

Thanks Ayf, Good to see you still modding away! Thanks for trying these 9 watt LED's too as I have a tough time buying without some positive input. I probably will add them to the bumper cover and take my chances with getting hit.

I have been thinking of a relay and halogen fog light mounted under the body for a reverse light... but these LED's might be enough to change my mind. Great install
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
biggupp
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 4WD EX MT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Is there a reverse led that is brighter than the 894 bulbs that I've been using? I'd like to illuminate the corner around the rear wheels.
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.