Should I install a new intake manifold gasket when I reinstall the intake manifold? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
nbx00
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 2WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Should I install a new intake manifold gasket when I reinstall the intake manifold?

I am changing out the starter on a 2003 honda element. The starter is under the intake manifold so I have to remove the intake manifold.

Should I install a new intake manifold gasket when I reinstall the intake manifold or can I reuse the old intake manifold gasket?

I would appreciate advice from a technician.
nbx00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
motoracer47
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

You might be able to remove the starter from underneath the car, thereby not removing the intake manifold. It will be a tight fit, but it looks possible. If you do remove the lower (outer) intake manifold, yes, definitely get a new gasket. You can get a FelPro intake manifold gasket kit for $15 from Autozone. It has the gasket you will need, plus the gasket for where the manifold connects to the head. Autozone (at least mine) only carried the kit with both, but for 15 I didn't care.

Check this thread, there is a discussion on the various ways to do it. On the second page, I put up a video of the clearance around the starter. In my video, I removed the manifold and went in through the top. Might help you decide if you want to try it from the bottom.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...174&highlight=
motoracer47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
ajchien
EOC Rank: Helium

I am not a technician, but I was advised by a Honda dealership technician that the intake manifold gasket was simply a centering guide, and did not need to be replaced. Is that close enough to staying at a holiday inn?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Wrenchmeister
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Centering guide? That's off...

Changing the gasket is the right way. Can you get away without changing it? Maybe. Does it make sense trying to save the old gasket? Up to you...
Wrenchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.