Honda Element Owners Club Forum

Honda Element Owners Club Forum (https://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shoppin' and Test Drivin' (https://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbie, which year element is more reliable? (https://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162549)

ajusaf 05-14-2019 07:51 AM

Newbie, which year element is more reliable?

Hi all, I’ve owned accord and civics to include oldie crx. Im currently leasing Mazda CX-9 but wanted another reliable vehicle to tag miles to keep the lease miles low. I like how element can be used in many ways and the functionality of the space in the back.

I believe I had read that the 2007or 2008 have the chain timing belt which is better and the engine is more durable. Is this the case? I haven’t seen many under 100k miles without paying more fhan 7k. I’ve saw an SC but has many outside scratches and minor dents which I didn’t care for. The only difference I’ve seen between SC and EX besides some exterior difference is the inside dash.

Which year do you recommend? Most are 110k-180k under 8k in my areas

helloandgoodbye 05-14-2019 12:37 PM

Yes to timing chain

The Element has a timing chain. It was great to get to 100K and not have to spend money/time on replacing a timing belt. By the way, there are more differences between the SC and EX besides the dash. SC has a different/better center console, is lower by 1 inch, has a stiffer suspension, larger tires, carpeted floor. 2007/2008 are great years to buy because this was the year Honda did a refresh on the Element.

zenbuilder 05-15-2019 06:49 AM

The SC, I believe is only a 2WD.

GaryS 05-15-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenbuilder (Post 1685707)
The SC, I believe is only a 2WD.

You are correct.

wateradept24 05-17-2019 09:01 AM

I bought a 2007 EX with 232k miles for under $5500 back in December.

I don't think there really was much changed except maybe how the dash looks, interior, and the front with each "refresh (I believe the refreshes were 2007 and 2009 since that's when the headlights/front changed a bit).

Based on my research, 2007 is where I wanted to start when I was looking. I would have gotten something older if proximity and price were good, but the 2007 added 6 hp (up from 160 from previous years), electronic stability control standard, and side airbags standard (so I'd argue it's a little safer than older models).

I'm personally not a fan of the SC and never was. I needed something with height, 4WD, and storage space, not an SUV someone tried to pass off as a sedan.

An Element is an Element. Get whatever feels right. When you see a few you like, compare what each has the other doesn't and decide what you want based on what they have.

diabloho 05-20-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajusaf (Post 1685659)
Hi all, Iíve owned accord and civics to include oldie crx. Im currently leasing Mazda CX-9 but wanted another reliable vehicle to tag miles to keep the lease miles low. I like how element can be used in many ways and the functionality of the space in the back.

I believe I had read that the 2007or 2008 have the chain timing belt which is better and the engine is more durable. Is this the case? I havenít seen many under 100k miles without paying more fhan 7k. Iíve saw an SC but has many outside scratches and minor dents which I didnít care for. The only difference Iíve seen between SC and EX besides some exterior difference is the inside dash.

Which year do you recommend? Most are 110k-180k under 8k in my areas

I bought my 2008 Element EX new, it now has 114,000 miles, it does indeed have a timing chain. The 2008 EX's also has all wheel drive, the SC does not. I can go pretty much anywhere I want in snow. I haven't had anything go wrong with her (knock on wood) she's been super reliable. Love my Element!