Greetings! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Element Owners Club > Greetings & Introductions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
fotolyfe
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

Greetings!

Relatively 'new' E owner here. I found an 05 AWD EX from an older gentleman with a pretty solid repair history. He's the second owner but have owned the car for almost the entire time. Everything was refreshed about a year prior to my purchase so the only upgrade I did so far is a deck with AA/CarPlay option.

Come to find out, I no longer need to drive to work as there's been a bus line directly to my office with the same drive. That said, I am giving up my daily driver, a camry I named Solace, or Souless. Lovely car but I just don't need one anymore, and decided to go full time on the Element as a camper style vehicle.

I will most likely end up with some funds and I want to refresh the suspension with the option to go for CCM 2 inch lift and some meaty AT tires. I also don't have any aftermarket light sources yet so I think I will go for some of that. I get the occasional popping noise from low speed turn and/or rolling through some speed bumps. I found on the forum that it's likely the compliance bushing. If anyone has any other feedback on what to do with or what to watch out for I'd appreciate it!

Will try to send some photos when I get a chance.
fotolyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Greetings Fotolyfe!

Nice to know that I'm not the only one that names my vehicles...

Slow speed noise (almost vibration-ish) during any turning for me was compromised rear differential fluid (believe it or not, pretty common) that was fixed easily with new fluid and dif clutches burnishing sequence. (sounds worse than it was... really)

Sway bar links/bushings are another fine source of noises...

Tie Rod Ends, CV (boots), and Ball Joints are easy to look at and assess condition of rubber, at least... Identify them, give'em a wiggle...

I currently have a rattly "Rear Differential Dynamic Dampener." It's like a little counterweight thingy attached to rear dif mount...
(The new one is literally sitting next to me now... laughing at me...)

Welcome to the board... Settle in, make yourself at home...

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

2001 7.3L Excursion "Buster"
1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
1993 5.0L Jeep CJ/YJ bits-n-pieces... "Heep"
Rear engine, Front & Rear Steer Rock Buggy
KargoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
zenbuilder
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to zenbuilder
Welcome fotolyfe, What part of NC are you in? I would say the there is a large contingent of E owners here, but there seems to be everywhere. Kargo master, is leading you in a good direction with those recommendations. So, what have you named your Element? When it warms up, come to western NC for some great rides throughout the mountains, and great camping spots. Enjoy the ride.
zenbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
fotolyfe
2005 4WD EX AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KargoMaster View Post
Greetings Fotolyfe!

Nice to know that I'm not the only one that names my vehicles...

Slow speed noise (almost vibration-ish) during any turning for me was compromised rear differential fluid (believe it or not, pretty common) that was fixed easily with new fluid and dif clutches burnishing sequence. (sounds worse than it was... really)

Sway bar links/bushings are another fine source of noises...

Tie Rod Ends, CV (boots), and Ball Joints are easy to look at and assess condition of rubber, at least... Identify them, give'em a wiggle...

I currently have a rattly "Rear Differential Dynamic Dampener." It's like a little counterweight thingy attached to rear dif mount...
(The new one is literally sitting next to me now... laughing at me...)

Welcome to the board... Settle in, make yourself at home...
Thanks! I had some time this morning and drove to a near by suspension shop for a check-up. The noises I hear have been pops when I turn. Noticeably this morning was as the car shifted gears. Hopefully they can find what it is!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT

Let us know what they find... Just from your description, I'm leaning toward Ball Joints...

My ball joints took a beating (literally) when I did my heart transplant...
They are getting noisy... mine will need some love soon...

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
fotolyfe
2005 4WD EX AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbuilder View Post
Welcome fotolyfe, What part of NC are you in? I would say the there is a large contingent of E owners here, but there seems to be everywhere. Kargo master, is leading you in a good direction with those recommendations. So, what have you named your Element? When it warms up, come to western NC for some great rides throughout the mountains, and great camping spots. Enjoy the ride.
Woo been a busy day. I'm actually around the Chapel Hill area and living east of the triangle. Though, I grew up in the foothills and my wife spent a few years in Asheville. My Element will be rolling up there in the near future I hope! Wife has been to Linville Gorge but I have not and we plan to do a nice trip there. Any other places you'd recommend?

I have not named my E yet, but my mom is trying to make The Rice Cooker stick!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
fotolyfe
2005 4WD EX AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

Quote:
Let us know what they find... Just from your description, I'm leaning toward Ball Joints...

My ball joints took a beating (literally) when I did my heart transplant...
They are getting noisy... mine will need some love soon...
Have you heard of any swaps of different engines? Not that I will do it but definitely want to keep my options open. I spoke to the gentleman today, without keeping the car for too long, he said it almost sounds like the bracket to hold the drive shaft?

I did some tests today going home (last day of work commute, got my bus pass) and I was taking a back road with some hills, and a few times the pops come in as I let up the gas pedal on the apex. Still not sure but certainly producing the problem consistently. It'll probably be up to the shop guys as they can see more. Bushings, lower ball joints, CV perhaps. Will keep you guys updated!
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT

I ended up with the same K24a4 as was in it... Mine came from 05 Accord... main differences are vtec bits and exhaust manifold...

The smaller Honda cars (tuner crowd??) certainly like K-swaps,
but they seem to run from Element parts like they are the plague..

More information on your symptoms plus my experience with popping noise in Zippy...
changes my guess to CV...
No noise on drive, no noise on deceleration, but popping in between...
I kept thinking that I left a mount loose, I still say it is CV, I just ordered new axle this morning...

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
Old 04-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
zenbuilder
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to zenbuilder
fotolyfe, The ride up to Highlands is beautiful. At around 4100 elevations, Rivers, waterfalls, you name it. Its a big destination for lots of car groups. Small town great restaurants.
zenbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
fotolyfe
2005 4WD EX AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

Quote:
I ended up with the same K24a4 as was in it... Mine came from 05 Accord... main differences are vtec bits and exhaust manifold...

The smaller Honda cars (tuner crowd??) certainly like K-swaps,
but they seem to run from Element parts like they are the plague..

More information on your symptoms plus my experience with popping noise in Zippy...
changes my guess to CV...
No noise on drive, no noise on deceleration, but popping in between...
I kept thinking that I left a mount loose, I still say it is CV, I just ordered new axle this morning...
Thanks for the update! Now I know at least this car can have some good transplants when needed. My garage guy for this job says it's the strut, so since they'll be out for the lift anyways I went ahead and got 4 new ones ordered. Decided to go with a 2 inch lift with the Honda Rescue Garage. The shop is based out of Mooresville, and is the only one that's mentioned about the CV issues and how to resolve that if you have a 3 inch lift (subframe spacers). So that said, if 2inch is still too high I know where I can get parts for that change.

I'm pretty excited to get the lift and suspension done with new shoes. Pictures soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Element Owners Club > Greetings & Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in