The J-Element - Page 14 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #131
djmatix
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Send a message via AIM to djmatix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental Guy View Post
It's like my grandmother used to tell me...

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djmatix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #132
Elemental Guy
2004 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Yo, I'm holding my breath again. Help me out here
Elemental Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #133
TrailblazerzMTB
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Rallye Red (RR)

Cha can’t wait for all the bugs to get rooted out and we can all being our J series journeys.

Thanks for all your doing brother!!!

Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #134
Elemental Guy
2004 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I heard he took off in a rental Cube saying things like "wow, it just starts and just goes, what a concept!" Into the sunset he drove, S eating grin on his face.
Elemental Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #135
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Lol I know Iíve been quiet. Had a work trip then lots of things keeping me out of the garage.

I took it around the block a few times and itís got great power even only being part throttle. I donít want to drive it much until I get the clutch bled properly. Since I replaced every single piece in line, there must be a ton of air in the system. The clutch isnít very stiff and it isnít disengaging all the way so it is tough to get into gear. I feel queasy giving it a little effort to get through the gears.

Since my last post I have been focusing on getting the fans and the AC working properly. I noticed one time when I was letting it idle that the temperature was climbing but the fans werenít kicking on. I found that I didnít run a wire in my jumper harness. So I have that hooked up now but I havenít had a chance to let the car idle up to temperature to make sure that ECU is powering the relay to turn the fans on. However I have traced the wires for both the ac compressor and the fans and can manually turn them on so I know the wires are correct.

With the weather getting better it will be a lot easier to work on the car. I am going on vacation but after that I will be back in the garage with more updates!

Old 04-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #136
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Also, for some reason the Tapatalk app wasnít alerting me that you guys were responding to this thread. Otherwise I wouldíve updated sooner!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #137
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Worked on the Element a little today. Starting to really understand the differences and requirements between the Element and TL.

I also took it out on the road for a good 20 miles. Itís LOUD because I havenít hooked up the exhaust, but I was able to take it up to ~65mph since the ECU will let me rev to 4700rpm before fuel cut. No VTEC and no secondaries on the intake manifold until I either wire up a range selector (to fool it into thinking itís in ĎDí or flash a manual program onto the ECU (I have a K-Tuner now). Still need to work out the speed sensor(s).

The TL has a low and high fan mode and split the fans up to control then separately. I had a wire wrong in my conversion harness but corrected it. Now around 200F the fans kick on and cool the engine down.

Iím not able to determine if the AC will trigger the fans because the system is empty. From my reading, the system requires pressure to engage the compressor clutch and kick on the fans. So at some point Iím going to have to get the system filled.

Iíve bled and bled and bled the clutch so Iím starting to think itís something else. The car is drivable, itís just a little notchy getting it into first gear. I may have also bent the shift cables by having them up and out of the way for so long while doing the swap.

If anyone has a 5-speed Element, can you take a picture of the slave cylinder? I want to make sure mine is disengaging all the way. With the clutch out it doesnít look like the slave cylinder is going back in as much as it should.

Here is mine, for some reason I remember the boot compressing more:

Old 05-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #138
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Sick of having to wear ear protection while driving this thing.

Time to get serious about the exhaust mock up.

I measured the flange again and drew a brand new part. Waiting for the print to finish so I can go home and test fit.

Once Iíve measured twice and printed once or five times, Iím going to have a buddy cut me a couple on his plasma CNC. From there Iíll need to tack up some piping to hopefully meet up with the factory J-pipe.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #139
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

The J-Element

The new flange will do nicely.

I finally got around to unwrapping the j-pipe I ordered a few months ago. Got it for $85 shipped which wasnít a bad deal from what I could find. However, the included the third cat, and the hanger mount! So a good deal turned into a jackpot!

I think I have an idea on how I can make this work. The J32a2 had regular headers which made it a ton easier to mock up and route the exhaust. The J32a3 has ďheadafoldsĒ and precats which make it a little more challenging.

Iíd have to make extenders to move the j-pipe down to clear both the subframe for each precat and the starter in the front.

Blue marks each precat port, orange is one pipe and purple is the other. The green line is where Iíd cut the j-pipe where currently it connects both pipes into one collector right before the flex pipe.

Iíd then have to angle it up to clear the subframe and go right between the precat and the transfer case. There is a ton of room. It would look something like this:

I placed my old Injen 3Ē intake up there for reference. It fits easily with room on all sides and Iíd never run a 3Ē exhaust anyway

I think this might work!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #140
djmatix
2008 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

The J-Element

Decided to do some wiring last night. Since the Element had 2 o2 sensors and the J32 has 4 I had to run a relay in the engine bay to power then all up. Luckily the heater control and signal for each are run through the engine harness. All I needed to do was provide them with power. Now the CELs for the o2 sensors are gone!

Next up is getting the VSA to work. Even though the systems are pretty much isolated, the TL canbus goes from the ABS pump, and joins the CANL/CANH lines before going to the ECU.

The Element doesnít run through the cluster and has a slightly different configuration.

Aside from those specifics - there are differences on how the systems are configured.

The ABS pumps are similar but the main plug is different.

So I picked up a 2007-2008 ABS pump and plug pigtail so I can re-pin the Element harness into it.

The Element has a ďsensor clusterĒ under the handbrake that handles the yaw and lateral acceleration readings for VSA.

The TL has a yaw rate sensor that handles that so I picked one up to mount and wire to the ABS pump.

Rounding it out, I found a 2008 TL cluster on eBay for $36 and the plugs so I grabbed those as well. This is mainly to patch it into the system to complete the VSA but Iím going to have to really dissuade myself from wiring it up fully, and 3D printing a conversion mount to run it.

More to come once the parts come in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Tags
element , j32a2 , j32a3 , performance , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in