Non-Factory Front Strut Options for 2007 and up ??? - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #11
Rob Dobbs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I believe it was Majestic Honda but the part numbers are the same so any dealership can order them for you. The catch is any random dealer mark up. My mechanic called the local Honda dealers here in the South Bay and they quoted flat out absurd prices. If memory serves one single rear assembly was around $600 and the fronts at over $400 each. Better to enter your part numbers into google and see what you can come up with.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Ray32825
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 2WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Non-factory front struts for 2007 and up

Has anyone figured out what the difference is between the pre 2007 struts and struts for 2007 and up?

I came across struts for the 2007 at Summit racing - Loaded Strut Assemblies SUM-SA11663/664. A reviewer claimed they were heavier than the original struts on his 2008.

I have a 2003 EX and I just got a 2007 EX a few days ago, maybe I should take them off the vehicles and compare the two. :)
Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
chips4sle
2008 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

anyone figure this out yet
also i assume your talking about loaded shocks and not just a bare shock
chips4sle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #14
maxxoer

https://www.pepboys.com/front-shocks...%202.4L%20DOHC

Just Check pep boys, they have KYB and MONROE
maxxoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Novasteve74
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX-P MT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

The difference from pre-07 to 07+ is the coil spring direction, which means the seat direction on the strut is opposite. You CAN run pre-'07 struts but you HAVE to get the proper coil to go along with it (both driver and passenger side coils must be wound in the same direction). The top spring isolator might be a good thing to update with the proper side as well, since the old coil would have worn it's shape into the rubber over time. The top hat and strut mount should work across all years, but at that point you might as well get whole assemblies.

I have installed a pre-07 strut on my '07 and it worked fine because I had matching springs. Ultimately, I went back to OEM assemblies. Worth every penny. While the rear shocks are definitely KYB's (hence their relatively similar price points, and they are stamped as such from the dealer) I am not convinced the front are. The front struts are much more expensive than KYB struts, they are not stamped as such anywhere on the body of the shock AND KYB has never offered an '07+ strut for the front (which doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint if they were the manufacturers). From a bit of research, Showa has been a manufacturer of front struts for Honda, so that's my guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• 235/70R16 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W on Honda black steel wheels
  • HD Grill Mod
  • Rear Hatch Release with OEM door handle and lock button
  • Aftermarket Fog Light Retrofit
  • Custom full length Gobi-inspired roof rack
  • Chuck-box style camper/bed platform
Novasteve74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
07lmnt
2007 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novasteve74 View Post
The difference from pre-07 to 07+ is the coil spring direction, which means the seat direction on the strut is opposite. You CAN run pre-'07 struts but you HAVE to get the proper coil to go along with it (both driver and passenger side coils must be wound in the same direction). The top spring isolator might be a good thing to update with the proper side as well, since the old coil would have worn it's shape into the rubber over time. The top hat and strut mount should work across all years, but at that point you might as well get whole assemblies.

I have installed a pre-07 strut on my '07 and it worked fine because I had matching springs. Ultimately, I went back to OEM assemblies. Worth every penny. While the rear shocks are definitely KYB's (hence their relatively similar price points, and they are stamped as such from the dealer) I am not convinced the front are. The front struts are much more expensive than KYB struts, they are not stamped as such anywhere on the body of the shock AND KYB has never offered an '07+ strut for the front (which doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint if they were the manufacturers). From a bit iof research, Showa has been a manufacturer of front struts for Honda, so that's my guess.
I agree 100% that the front struts were never available from KYB for 2007 or newer.

Never found a listing for Showa either.

Seems like dealer only, unless we get aftermarket crap. Or complete assembly for 2006 and earlier.

Last edited by 07lmnt; 05-27-2019 at 09:09 PM.
07lmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
tedsti
2010 4WD EX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lmnt View Post
I agree 100% that the front struts were never available from KYB for 2007 or newer.

Never found a listing for Showa either.

Seems like dealer only, unless we get aftermarket crap. Or complete assembly for 2006 and earlier.
OK, so just confirming that if you get complete strut assemblies the '03-'06 fronts will work on a '10?
tedsti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
07lmnt
2007 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
OK, so just confirming that if you get complete strut assemblies the '03-'06 fronts will work on a '10?
I'm pretty sure. Have not tried it myself.

Post up your results if you do try it.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM   #19
tedsti
2010 4WD EX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

I was looking at the A1 Auto site and they have some TRQ front struts that list the same part number for both 2004 and 2010. This may give me the confidence to order the 2004 Monroe front quick strut assembly for my 2010. This would save over $600 compared to OEM parts....
tedsti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

You might be able to use just the damper from an aftermarket strut assembly made for an earlier model. I miss the "olden"days when you could replace just the damper cartridge within a strut without replacing the whole [email protected] assembly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 EX AWD AT TRP: Carpet foam floor, hood & splash deflectors, Broadway flat 270 mirror, aux side mirror, LED interior & hand light, camping liner, fabric dog crate, soft coat hooks, seatback storage pockets, tablet cradle. FUTURE: LED DRLs, side mirror signal lights, center storage console with 12v multisocket.

RIP: 2004 EXS AWD AT SSM

Last edited by psschmied; 06-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in