Clunking noise when switching from forward to reverse - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
exhonda
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Clunking noise when switching from forward to reverse

Hi, I'm have a issue with my 2008 Honda Element SC 65,000 miles. I bought it with a salvage title after a passenger side accident. I saw pictures of the damage before repairs and after looking at the undercarriage it appeared to be in good order. I got new tires, then a honda dealer alignment on which the dealer had some issue with correcting camber on the accident side. I was able to get it in tolerance by using 2 camber bolts on the same side and turning them opposing to get enough correction.
Here's the issue: Anytime the car is switched from forward to reverse or reverse to forward I here a clicking noise up front. It only happens a few times or revolutions before it goes away. It never happens again until I pull into a parking spot, then back out in the other direction and it happens a few click's each time. Sounds like it could have been the drive axle joints, dealer also mentioned that possibility, but I have replaced both of them driver and passenger sides. I also replaced a passenger side strut as the dealer though it was bent, but it was not or at least made no change in camber. I also had the strut out on the driver side to replace a boot that was ripped. I replaced the drivers side lower ball joint and both steering tie rod ends. I took apart and checked the passenger side ball joint. I have replaced the stabilizer end links with Moog greasable and the stabilizer bar bushings.
It seems to be something in the drive line. Either something in the trans itself or I thought maybe a motor or transmission mount. I have noticed that when I hit concrete section lines in the roadway (another words when both tires hit a severe bump at the same time the dash rattles very excessively, more so than most cars I've ever had. I have had 2 other elements a 2003 and a 2008EX. My kids now own them, both are rough, but not quite this bad. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions over and above what I have already done. Also are there any particular mounts or subframe bushings that could have been damaged in the accident causing this issue. Any help is appreciated, thanks
exhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
exhonda
2008 SC 2WD 5AT

forgot to mention

I had my E at idle and opened the hood. I grabbed the engine and pulled forward the back (possible check of motor/trans mounts was my thought) and as the truck moved slightly forward and then back I could here what seemed like the same clunking noise. If that indicates something to point too, please let me know what? Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
Slopoke1
2004 4WD DX MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Most likely is an inner cv joint going bad. Had one go out on my E at about 140K made this same noise only when going between forward and reverse.

Edit: upon closer read see you have already changed both driveshafts and assorted other parts. Could be a lower control arm bushing.

Last edited by Slopoke1; 01-13-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Slopoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
karisk12
2007 2WD DX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Could be your transmission mounts. I have an annoying front end noise I'm trying to diagnose and repair. So far I've replaced a lower control arm that had a bad bushing. Still the noise. I replaced 3 of the 4 motor /transmission mounts that were shot. Still the noise. Replacing the mounts did eliminate a loud roar when flooring the gas pedal. You can look at the mounts easily and see if the internal rubber pieces are cracked or damaged.
karisk12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Check the front heat shield. It tends to rust out at the front screw mounts.
Until it rusts enough to flap freely it will make a clicking sound whenever the vehicle makes a sudden stop or change of F/R direction.

Also check all the exhaust suspenders. If any are missing the exhaust can shift unpredictably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 EX AWD AT TRP: Carpet foam floor, hood & splash deflectors, Broadway flat 270 mirror, aux side mirror, LED interior & hand light, camping liner, fabric dog crate, soft coat hooks, seatback storage pockets, tablet cradle. FUTURE: LED DRLs, side mirror signal lights, center storage console with 12v multisocket.

RIP: 2004 EXS AWD AT SSM
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
karisk12
2007 2WD DX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Did you figure this out? Mine ended up being the upper strut mount on the passenger side. So nie to have no noises.
karisk12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
pedals
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX 5AT

I've had a similar noise for a long time. I guessed it was the compliance bushings from what I've read hear about such a noise. I took it to my favorite (and honest) mechanic, and it turned out it was the front stabilizer links. I looked those over, and they weren't broken yet. If I'd known that I surely would have DIY'd it. Lesson learned, but the noise is gone.
pedals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
exhonda
2008 SC 2WD 5AT

Thanks for the ideas, I just replaced them stableizer links with moog, No improvement
Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
AWD
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

So I have replaced my entire suspension and experienced a similar issue. I recently took my E back to the Dealer due to lingering clicking and it turns out what I thought was suspension was my brakes. The shop foreman and I drove around and he told me that since the noise seemed to only happen when going into reverse that's what he thought it was, I argued no, it's suspension. But he was right! Had both front and rear pads re scuffed by dealer and lubricated. The clicking noise is gone.

Last edited by AWD; 06-03-2019 at 05:32 PM.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Tags
clanking , drive line noise , transmission clunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in