Battery slowly drained and now won’t start - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
wessywoo
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 2WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Battery slowly drained and now won’t start

Hi everyone,

So my 03’ element has 252,000 miles on it. I’m not sure when the battery was last replaced, but thinking it’s been about 4 or 5 years.

So last night driving over the hill to the market I noticed my dashboard started getting dim, as well as my headlights. Once I got to the market my headlight were barely even lighting anything up, very dim.

I turned off the car and when I tried to start it up again I got nothing.

Came back this morning to try and jump it, got a very weak crank but no start.

To me it seems like the battery is shot? Would love to hear anyone’s opinion on this.

I’m thinking about heading back tonight and installing a new battery myself, I’m not experienced at all with working on cars but seems pretty straight forward.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!

Have a great day!

Wesley
wessywoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
sacandagadave
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessywoo View Post
Hi everyone,

So my 03’ element has 252,000 miles on it. I’m not sure when the battery was last replaced, but thinking it’s been about 4 or 5 years.

So last night driving over the hill to the market I noticed my dashboard started getting dim, as well as my headlights. Once I got to the market my headlight were barely even lighting anything up, very dim.

I turned off the car and when I tried to start it up again I got nothing.

Came back this morning to try and jump it, got a very weak crank but no start.

To me it seems like the battery is shot? Would love to hear anyone’s opinion on this.

I’m thinking about heading back tonight and installing a new battery myself, I’m not experienced at all with working on cars but seems pretty straight forward.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!

Have a great day!

Wesley
The battery certainly could be bad at 4-5 years, but with everything dimming while running, it sounds like it could also possibly be your alternator or maybe corroded cables not charging the battery.
sacandagadave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
wessywoo
2004 2WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacandagadave View Post
The battery certainly could be bad at 4-5 years, but with everything dimming while running, it sounds like it could also possibly be your alternator or maybe corroded cables not charging the battery.
Thanks for the input!

After doing more research today I'm thinking it is the alternator. Am going to get AAA to come test the battery and get it towed to the shop if needed.

Thanks again,

Wesley

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Mrselfdestruct
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 2WD EX AT

I dont know if youve checked the belt yet, i imagine youd smell it if it was slipping significantly. Alternator is most likely suspect, but batteries do short.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Mrselfdestruct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
nacranym
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 2WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

draining a 4 or 5 yr old battery down to nothing could kill it, so don't be surprised if no start after replacing the alternator.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
wessywoo
2004 2WD EX AT

Thanks for the input everyone!

So it ended up being the alternator, so having that replace. Figured while I was at it I would also get a new battery!

Excited to get the E back on the road! Aiming to make it to 300,000 miles :).

Cheers,

Wesley
Old 11-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
dgale
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Yes definitely alternator - once the car is running, voltage to run stuff is provided by the alternator, not the battery, so when you see things like headlights fading while driving, you know your alternator is no longer functioning and instead you are now running everything off your battery...this of course won't last long, especially with headlights on. Glad you were able to get it fixed and you were wise to replace that battery as well. Good advise to check the condition of your serpentine belt as well - if it is old and worn, it could go out and cause the same sorts of problems so best to replace if it's due.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in