6 speed owners, opinion wanted. - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
Elemental Guy
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Notice how nobody has said yet how much better mpg they are getting on long flat highway travel using their 6th gear. On this or any other thread I've read concerning adding the 6th. It's like those who do it don't do it for higher mpg so just don't care to note it. Or something.
Elemental Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
bongobennie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2008 2WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Aerodynamics are a much bigger factor at high speed than gear ratio, I'm more concerned about the comfort of cruising at low revs, curious about milage for sure though.
bongobennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #13
nacranym
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 2WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

in my case, it's difficult to do a direct comparison, because the 6th gear was in the vehicle when i bought it. the previous owner thought it made about a 10 % difference.that's what he told me. the only indirect comparison i can make is between our 2 Elements. my wife normally drives the '06 4WD and i normally drive the '04 FWD that has the 6th gear. on snow trips we take the '06 and i drive with wife, rear seats and our snow play stuff and other luggage in the vehicle, getting 21-22 MPG during the flat stretches. when i drive the '04 alone with insignificant cargo and rear seats removed on predominantly highway trips which are not to the snow, i've gotten about 26 MPG. i also got 25 MPG while towing a Uhaul from San Diego to San Francisco and return, primarily because vehicles with trailers are limited to 55 MPH in California. 55 MPH is a little slow for 6th gear, but i managed by keeping pace with the other vehicles towing trailers. <grin>
so, that's what i have. it's purely anecdotal. the sixth gear is very much worth it for me. you'll have to make your own decision for your vehicle.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
te1966
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongobennie View Post
Aerodynamics are a much bigger factor at high speed than gear ratio, I'm more concerned about the comfort of cruising at low revs, curious about milage for sure though.
Yes bongobennie, I have drawn the same conclusion. Seems like the faster I go the worse the MPG gets! Highway only numbers cruising in the 80 to 85 MPH range it's about 23 MPG. Worse, like 21 MPG in the heat of Summer.

I'm going to take the Element on a long (~3000 mile round trip) ride next week, mostly interstate and cooler temperatures, to get some better average highway numbers than I have now.

But for a 4 cylinder vehicle of any kind, that's still pretty bad in my mind! : - (

I guess it mostly has to do with the Element matching a '55 Chevy in aerodynamics!

By the way of comparison, my '96 GMC Sonoma 2.2 4 cylinder Manual trans would get 26 - 27 MPG highway only (same speeds).

And here's the icing on the poor Element MPG cake: My '97 Lincoln Mark 8, V-8 powered, weighed ~ 500 pounds more than the Element, and 6 years older in technology, would also get 26 - 27 MPG! Admittedly the Mark 8 was worse than the Element in city only driving. But the Mark 8 had far superior aerodynamics!

So, there you have it! Aerodynamics (or the lack thereof!) means a lot more than most of us realize!
te1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental Guy View Post
Notice how nobody has said yet how much better mpg they are getting on long flat highway travel using their 6th gear. On this or any other thread I've read concerning adding the 6th. It's like those who do it don't do it for higher mpg so just don't care to note it. Or something.
Sorry for the delayed reply Elemental... You are correct in your “don’t care to note it” comment for me...
My “tow vehicle” is a 7.3L diesel Excursion (10-12mpg when towing 10000lbs)
That fact alone should tell you enough about my fuel efficiency requirements...
Diminishing returns, and aerodynamics... there will never be a linear relationship between rpm and fuel efficiency, because of drag and aerodynamics... (or in our case the lack thereof...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacranym View Post
...it's difficult to do a direct comparison... about a 10 % difference... vehicles with trailers are limited to 55 MPH in California. 55 MPH is a little slow for 6th gear... the sixth gear is very much worth it for me. you'll have to make your own decision for your vehicle.
I put Zippy back together 4 years after I tore it apart, I simply don’t recall the difference... I could believe 10%... my gut says that isn’t complete BS, at least...

Even though I live a few thousand miles away, I have actually towed an off-road vehicle on an open trailer in CA and 55 mph restriction is dumberest thing I have seen in the whole country... 55 mph in Zippy 6th is painful for me... your mileage may vary... literally.

6th gear experience is worth every penny... I choose to use it to reduce rpm’s...
THAT it will always do...

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

2001 7.3L Excursion "Buster"
1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
1993 5.0L Jeep CJ/YJ bits-n-pieces... "Heep"
Rear engine, Front & Rear Steer Rock Buggy
KargoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in