Just about an, almost "new" owner ;-) - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Element Owners Club > Greetings & Introductions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
surgite1971
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Just about an, almost "new" owner ;-)

Apologies if I missed the FAQ on protocols for prospective owners/buyers…didn’t see one.

I’m very close to snagging one of these two Elements and am seeking some guidance. I’ve been looking at an Element forever. My uncle introduced them to me when he lived in Alaska. On one of my many visits there, he had picked up a 2008 EX model AND put a Ursa Minor eCamper kit on it…best of both worlds! He probably bought it new as that would’ve been around when I went that time around.

Anywhooo…our 2003 Corolla just had it’s transmission give out after 260,000…it’s a manual and it sat for a few years so I’d say we made out ok with it. My wife is not particularly happy that I’m looking at Elements, given that they’re not in production anymore and most the ones I can find in our price range are 150,000+ miles. Now from my uncle and what I’ve read here and other forums, these cars with reasonably good car will easily do 250,000-300,000.

If you had a choice between these 2, which might you pick and why? Thank you for any guidance you can offer –

Joshua

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=239164557

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=237071270
surgite1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

I would be more inclined to purchase... (a manual shift Element, hahah, sorry I can't resist sometime...)
I like the Black EX-P if I was forced to choose from these two...
  • The LX has steel wheels, in the rust belt...
  • The EX has cruise control, I'm lazy
  • The image of the LX engine bay has more rusty bolt heads and hose clamps, I believe that may translate further under the cars too...

My 2 cents, IIRC, YMMV...

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

2001 7.3L Excursion "Buster"
1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
1993 5.0L Jeep CJ/YJ bits-n-pieces... "Heep"
Rear engine, Front & Rear Steer Rock Buggy
KargoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
surgite1971

Good eye(s)!

Thanks Brad!

Here I am born and raised in PA...center of said Rust Belt...and I didn't even see that rust in the photos or consider the hubs on the LX. Makes great sense!

Coming from a manual transmission and learning to drive on one, wish there was one as well

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
zenbuilder
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to zenbuilder
surgite , First, welcome. I think, from what I can see about both "E's" , they both look good. The EX will have the better stereo and the alloy wheels. I think both colors are good, do you have a preference ? I didn't read if the service records were available, that would tell you more about each car. And both have AWD. Thats a big plus with you living in PA. I lived outside Somerset in the early 70's and worked at a ski resort, AWD would have been great .
And I like the automatic, maybe not as much fun as a manual shift, but easy. Let us know which one you get, and, Enjoy the ride.
zenbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
surgite1971

Thanks ZenBuilder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbuilder View Post
surgite , First, welcome. I think, from what I can see about both "E's" , they both look good. The EX will have the better stereo and the alloy wheels. I think both colors are good, do you have a preference ? I didn't read if the service records were available, that would tell you more about each car. And both have AWD. Thats a big plus with you living in PA. I lived outside Somerset in the early 70's and worked at a ski resort, AWD would have been great .
And I like the automatic, maybe not as much fun as a manual shift, but easy. Let us know which one you get, and, Enjoy the ride.
Much appreciated! Outside of Somerset...assuming Seven Springs or Hidden Valley? There was a smaller "resort" there on Forest lands...which has closed, reopened, closed again, reopened again...I think it's still open. Love that area...used to live in Pittsburgh.

Now to your reply...thanks! Black would be my preference for sure and yes AWD will help although our Winters aren't what they used to be. Appreciate the welcome and hope I can make it work...my wife isn't keen on getting a used vehicle with 150,000+ miles on it but it's a Honda with 1 owner. We had a Pilot and loved it until we hydroplaned on I-80.

So if we can make it work, looks like it'd be the EX...thanks and I'll report back for sure!
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #6
zenbuilder
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX AT

Send a message via AIM to zenbuilder
surgite1971, Hidden Valley. It was a great time. Early 70's. So, did you pull the trigger?
zenbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #7
tedsti
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 4WD EX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KargoMaster View Post
The LX has steel wheels, in the rust belt...
The stuff they put on the roads these days eats aluminum as well. The factory aluminum wheels on my 2010 look like hell due to corrosion.
tedsti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 08:47 AM   #8
KargoMaster
Premium Member
2004 4WD EXS 6MT

tedsti, agreed... I'm quite certain that MN does have some mean weather...
(But there are some beautiful areas up there in your brief summertime...)

Corrosion in all its forms just means that Mother Nature will always win...
We can only temporarily delay her...

OP Joshua, any updates?

2004 Element -- "Zippy"

2001 7.3L Excursion "Buster"
1996 1.9L BMW Z3 "Jack"
1993 5.0L Jeep CJ/YJ bits-n-pieces... "Heep"
Rear engine, Front & Rear Steer Rock Buggy
KargoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #9
surgite1971

Awesome...yup great place Hidden Valley!

Well I'm close but I'm catching alot of flack from my wife to be honest. She was hoping for a car that was more "practical" and "bang for the buck". Long story short...I need this to fill a couple roles. I do a TON of outdoor stuff so this car is perfect that - check!

We however also need it to be a good all-around car here in State College. She is hoping more along the lines of an Elantra or like our former Corolla, or a Honda Civic. The gas mileage And the relatively higher mileage for the ones I’m looking at isn’t thrilling her either.

The other thing is I’m a hops farmer. Long story short, outside of a truck which isn’t an option given the other things I need this vehicle to do – at least with the space inside of the Element and the type of flooring, I can use to haul materials and clean it out much easier than any other SUV for sure and certainly better than any other sedan.

If you want, check this out…this is what I’ve narrowed it down to: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz7b10l8ep...Grid.xlsx?dl=0

The last one in the far right column just popped up today…if they are flexible on the price I’m leaning towards that one.

Thanks for following up!

Last edited by surgite1971; Today at 10:18 AM.
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #10
surgite1971

Well the 2011 for $12,644 sold this morning as I'd expect. The 2010 for $14,998 is stellar, however it's out of my price range and I'm sure it'll sell before I can make it over there (2 hours to the east). Now I'm looking at this one again but concerned about the 160,000+ miles on it. One owner (bought there at that dealer), the dealer had been super helpful and in touch every single day. Am I a fool for getting one with such high mileage?!!!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=239164557
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Element Owners Club > Greetings & Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in