How fast can a reliable Element run 0 - 60? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
MrXero
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

How fast can a reliable Element run 0 - 60?

I love the Element. The concept of this car is amazing and Honda is still my favorite manufacturer. I grew up on Civics, Accords and Integras - both within my family and amongst my friends. The problem is, that right now I drive a stock WRX, which I am selling.

I went to test drive a 2005 AWD EX recently and was shocked by how pokey the 160 HP engine felt. Granted, a lot of Hondas shine brightest at higher RPMs, which I couldn't get to with the dealership guy in the car...

Anyway, here is my question. How fast can I make a (reliable) naturally aspirated (I don't want to deal with aftermarket turbos, superchargers or nitrous) AWD EX?

Will it run 0-60 in 6.x? Can I get a low 15 second quarter mile time out of it? The 6 speed tranny mod seems like an awesome idea and I'm sure that would help out quite a bit. I'd like to hear from some of the quicker Elements and gearheads on this board. I'm no stranger to working on cars, especially Hondas.

Also - If there is anyone around the Roseville/Sacramento, Ca area with a reasonably quick Element, I'd LOVE to get a short ride in it to see what can be done with these great little cars.

Thanks in advance for any info guys.
MrXero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Elemen-O-P
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Send a message via AIM to Elemen-O-P
I can tell you right now that for the most part, all the REALLY fast E's are turbocharged and there's even a supercharged E runnin' around the forums somewhere. But all others that aren't stock have the usual bits and pieces changed out to eek out all they can from their daily drivers. Things like suspension components, intake throttle bodies and cold air intakes, larger exhausts and stickier rubber.

Of course, you're going to get those people who tout their ride as being quicker than the others because they have THIS upgrade, rather than the OTHER upgrade...but it really doesn't matter. Hop into 1 of the majority of mildly modded E's and you'll get a taste of what its like across the majority of the Element Spectrum because there really wont be much of a difference until you drop some serious coin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elemen-O-P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Drop_Box
Mod-erator
2006 2WD EX-P MT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

Did you do a search or tool around the "Under the Hood/Performance" forum??

Lots of good info there. 0-60 in 6sec....is very doubtful without engine modification. You can add the CAI and different exhaust to let the engine breathe more but the times you're asking for will be hard....especially if you're looking at a AT. A MT will give you much more response.

Also note that an 05 is going to be more sluggish....in 07 they gave the E a little more HP. AWD is also working against you with the added weight on the rear axle.

Those who say they can & those who say they can't are both correct!!
LIVE LIFE
.....TIL U DROP!!
Drop_Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
fishlee
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EXS 6MT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

I found this back in 2005..... it dosen't say if it's manual or auto... my guess is a manual...
2003 Honda Element EX 0-60, 8.7 sec 1/4 mile, 16.60 sec
heres the link, just scroll down to find The E...
http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm
fishlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
LMntGuy1982
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Taken with a grain of salt,

I have Dynolicious on my iPhone. It's a surprisingly accurate measurement of launch times and quarter mile times. here's what it says about my 0-60 time...

11.03 sec.

Granted this was done on an on ramp onto the highway but I just mashed the gas and went. I'm running AT, CAI, Ingalls ETD and i think thats about it. No exhaust just yet.
'03 EX SOP (SOP is now a collectors item), roofrack, armrest, sunroof screen, full tank of gas (woo hoo), bought it right off the semi truck, hehe 15 miles on it. Herculiner'd Panels, Custom Painted Rims, Subwoofer upgrade, K&N CAI, Painted Engine Cover and Fuse Box, LMNTGuy's iPhone Integration (tm), SOP Dash Trim, Ingalls engine torque damper.
LMntGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
rymo926
2005 4WD EX AT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

EOC Mods:Alument's spark,Ursa Minor's pedal,Elemat's front and rear,Andsoitiswritten's dome,Mike's amp,Blank's table.

OEM Mods:Exp's trims,Pilot's steering,TSX's RBB,09's cooler,SC's knob,OEM's cargo box/roof rack/deflector.

rymo926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

6.x 0-60? Normally aspirated with the original engine? Not bloomin' likely. The E may be light for an SUV, but it's still basically a heavy box with doubtful aerodynamics. Power-to-weight ratio is not your friend here, and you certainly won't be getting 50+% power improvements with bolt-ons.

This makes me think of the Car & Driver article about de-ricing a Sentra. They started taking and cutting stuff off bits at a time, ending-up with a "car" that was little more than a floor pan with a driver's seat. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they cut the 1/4-mile time in half. Maybe that's your solution?

MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Elemen-O-P
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Send a message via AIM to Elemen-O-P
Quote:
This makes me think of the Car & Driver article about de-ricing a Sentra. They started taking and cutting stuff off bits at a time, ending-up with a "car" that was little more than a floor pan with a driver's seat. I don't remember the exact numbers, but they cut the 1/4-mile time in half. Maybe that's your solution?
Here ya go Mike...'course I'd think the E would lose its structural integrity after a hack job like this..hahahah! :rolleyes::D

Elemen-O-P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Brawsie
2007 *Former Element owner
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Love the space saver rear tires, great way to lose some weight. Dosen't look very safe. Is there a way to sign up my in-laws for some seat time?:D

Seriously you're going to spend a lot of everything trying to go all motor and all you're going to wind up with is an E thats fast... for an E. Any dork with 21K for an SI is still gonna use your E as a bucket while they wipe the street with your ego. But, if all you really wanna do is keep the guy in the taurus from cutting you off then you may be alright.

Yarrr! The Twirates killed TRP Mensa
Brawsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
SDCEP3
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

It isn't too hard to find a complete Element K24A4 head for VERY cheap. Get the head ported with some Skunk2 or Brian Crower Cams added to it. Throw in an intake as well as an RSX-S race header modified to fit with one of the exhausts available for the Element. Install all above components, and use Hondata K-Pro to tune it. You will have now increased from 140whp to over 200whp reliably, and if you have a manual Element, you should be under 7 seconds 0-60...You then can sell your stock head and recoup some of the ~$3000 you spent...

Head ~$150
Cams ~$500
Race Header ~$500
Exhaust ~$500
Intake ~$100
K-Pro ~$1000
Labor ~$1000 (can be much cheaper if you can do this yourself)

If you really wanna get crazy then a head from a new Si with Pistons and rods from a TSX along with the previously mentioned Bolt ons and K-pro will get you even more HP, although you will spend more cash. One perk of this option is you are using all OEM Honda Parts in the engine so you should be more reliable.

k20a.org is the place if you wanna research the engine in the Element! (K24A4) I know alot of people are going to say that you will not be able to get over 200whp without turbos, but they are just wrong!
SDCEP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in