Getting ready to sell the Element - Question - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
GoodbyeEllie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
GoodbyeEllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4
Getting ready to sell the Element - Question

Hello! I have lurked this forum through the years that I've owned my 2003 Element, but I have never joined before now, when I'm getting ready to sell my beloved car. Hopefully this is in the right forum!

For a lot of reasons, it's time to let her go, but I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to just trade it in or try to sell it myself. I have 2 kids and not a ton of time to devote to selling it, but it's in really great shape. What would you pay for this car:

2003 Honda Element EX (Sunset Orange Pearl), 2WD, 158k miles, 2nd owner, no accidents, great shape, but the drivers side seat started "fraying" a bit.

I am in Pittsburgh, but it spent most of it's life in Atlanta since we only moved here 2 years ago. If it was AWD, I would probably drive it for a few more years, but we live in a rural area and driving from here to the city can be sketchy in the winter.

Thanks in advance, I'm trying to gather information and make a good decision here!
GoodbyeEllie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
te1966
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
te1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Englewood, FL
Posts: 295
Well, I can make a pretty close apples to apples comparison:

Last June I paid $4650 for my '03 EX SOP 2WD with 111K miles, FL car it's whole life, excellent mechanically with a few rather minor appearance issues. And I thought that was a Very Good deal.

With that said, your E from Atlanta is probably in better condition than a typical Pittsburgh area E. And Elements seem to be in high demand most places.

I would think that $5000 - $5500 should get you a reasonably quick sale. Start it at ~ $5900 (you can always go down, but never up!) and see what happens.

But, you'll probably miss your E badly when it sells! Ask anyone still on this site that is currently E-less!

You are probably past the worst part of the winter by now. Maybe keep it until like October and then consider selling it.

I wish you well whatever you decide! : - )
te1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
GoodbyeEllie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
GoodbyeEllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by te1966 View Post
Well, I can make a pretty close apples to apples comparison:

Last June I paid $4650 for my '03 EX SOP 2WD with 111K miles, FL car it's whole life, excellent mechanically with a few rather minor appearance issues. And I thought that was a Very Good deal.

With that said, your E from Atlanta is probably in better condition than a typical Pittsburgh area E. And Elements seem to be in high demand most places.

I would think that $5000 - $5500 should get you a reasonably quick sale. Start it at ~ $5900 (you can always go down, but never up!) and see what happens.

But, you'll probably miss your E badly when it sells! Ask anyone still on this site that is currently E-less!

You are probably past the worst part of the winter by now. Maybe keep it until like October and then consider selling it.

I wish you well whatever you decide! : - )
I know I will miss it, but I also know that we need something a bit bigger and AWD will be extremely useful in winter! I spend most of my week in that car, and as hilly as it is here, I've had several instances where it either almost didn't make it up a hill or definitely didn't make it up a hill. Lol. And yes, most of the ones I've seen for sale in this area are in pretty rough shape!

I will likely end up getting the 2019 Honda Passport, which I was really excited to see they brought back. I wasn't terribly excited about most of the crossovers and SUVs on the market. They all look the same and they all look like minivans.
GoodbyeEllie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
ToastyRiko
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeEllie View Post
2003 Honda Element EX (Sunset Orange Pearl), 2WD, 158k miles, 2nd owner, no accidents, great shape, but the drivers side seat started "fraying" a bit.
I would definitely sell it yourself. As you can see from this forum, there's still definitely interest in the Element, and I think you'd get a lot more from it by selling it to someone who appreciates it than whatever the dealer attempts to give you as a trade-in. The fraying seat is so common in these older models that it's almost to be expected.

Like someone else mentioned, having one from Atlanta means it's likely in a lot better condition underneath than other cars in the NE with the salt and rust, so that's another good selling point.
ToastyRiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
GoodbyeEllie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
GoodbyeEllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4
The good news is that we decided to keep the Element for now. Still shopping for a different car, but the Element will stick around for a while. We just had to do some minor repairs (tie rod ends, serpentine belt, alignment) and it's really just hard to let it go since it's easily the most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

We'll reevaluate in 6-12 months, but for now, she stays.
GoodbyeEllie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
dgale
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeEllie View Post
The good news is that we decided to keep the Element for now. Still shopping for a different car, but the Element will stick around for a while. We just had to do some minor repairs (tie rod ends, serpentine belt, alignment) and it's really just hard to let it go since it's easily the most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

We'll reevaluate in 6-12 months, but for now, she stays.
Good decision. If you haven't already done it, make sure to get the valves adjusted. If/when you do decide to sell it, definitely sell it yourself - trade-in is never a good deal for Elements since they typically have value over Bluebook and in good shape are not usually hard to sell.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
te1966
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
te1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Englewood, FL
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeEllie View Post
The good news is that we decided to keep the Element for now. Still shopping for a different car, but the Element will stick around for a while. We just had to do some minor repairs (tie rod ends, serpentine belt, alignment) and it's really just hard to let it go since it's easily the most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

We'll reevaluate in 6-12 months, but for now, she stays.
Good choice! You won't regret it! Nothing can replace an Element; except of course another Element!

Only now you'll have to change your name on this site! How about:

WelcomeBackHomeToStayEllie! : - )
te1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
GoodbyeEllie
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)
 
GoodbyeEllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by te1966 View Post
Good choice! You won't regret it! Nothing can replace an Element; except of course another Element!

Only now you'll have to change your name on this site! How about:

WelcomeBackHomeToStayEllie! : - )
Ha! I'll just leave it and let it be confusing. Lol! I did update my profile a little though.

I do love the breadbox on wheels, but it will just have to take on the role of spare car. The F-150 is getting older now too, so having a newer car will be good all around.
GoodbyeEllie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Element EX...ONLY 16,000 miles. To sell or not to sell?? in UpState NY SkyKyDad Shoppin' and Test Drivin' 6 03-29-2016 09:34 PM
getting ready to take the plunge kalinka Shoppin' and Test Drivin' 7 01-13-2006 08:19 PM
Finding a Good detailer? Getting exterior ready for winter? SynapzKLR Wax on, Wax Off 8 11-21-2005 02:43 PM
I know the e is ipod ready but is it mp3 ready? xavier 'E'ccessories 7 07-24-2004 03:07 AM
getting ready to drop the E eveloso Exterior 7 07-09-2004 12:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.



Views and opinions expressed on this forum are not necessarily those held by Autoforums, Inc. or forum management.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.