Easiest Bed with Mass Storage - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
will_morgan
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Easiest Bed with Mass Storage

I think the easiest way to make a bed in the back, with storage underneath, is to make use of the platforms that are already in the vehicle -- just forward of the two rear storage bins (see picture below that shows these small flat surfaces). These platforms are about 11" up from the floor.

For the forward part (where the rear seats usually are) just construct a simple platform (also 11" high) and place it on the floor.

The vehicle's interior at this height is exactly 48" wide, making it super easy to slide a piece of plywood in, cut to whatever depth you want.

I installed two hinges on mine for easier access. See pictures below...

The nicest thing is that this is only two pieces - the plywood and the wooden platform. That way it's easily removed when you want to put the seats back in.
Attached Images

will_morgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Theelements
EOC Rank: Carbon

Send a message via AIM to Theelements Send a message via MSN to Theelements Send a message via Yahoo to Theelements
Re: Easiest Bed with Mass Storage

! wow that looks really trick!

I like the fold up idea so its easyier to get to your stuff! great idea. How strong is it? Im not sure i would trust the plastic pieces to support a large amount of weight.
Fast~~~~~
Theelements is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
will_morgan
2005 4WD EX
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Thanks. The accessibility is choice!

There was similar concern from another post-- it seems like they'd be weak, but it's surprisingly sturdy.

Particularly with the weight distributed over the entire 12-14" length of that small platform (a la plywood), it seems to hold the weight confidently.

Also - check out that area yourself-- if you knock on it, you can tell it's solid beneath.

I weigh 185, and I'd say it would support twice that weight.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

>Easiest Bed with Mass Storage

My immediate thought was a mattress with a 250GB disk drive.

Seriously, great job. I, too, was wondering about the ability of the trim to hold the weight, but OTOH the spare tire cover is pretty flimsy in its own right. Good thinking!
MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Mesach
2005 4WD EX AT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Send a message via Skype™ to Mesach

easy is a relative term, i have no ability to cut any of that lumber.

but it does look good.
Mesach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Snarf77
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 4WD DX MT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Send a message via AIM to Snarf77

Very neat. Has to be heavy to have wood thick enough to hold up 400ish pounds? I too would worry about the trim and the wood eventually sagging in the middle with unknown consequences to the trim/sides.

Very cool idea though! The accessibility with the hinges is nice.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Based on past experience and the amount of sagging in test pieces, I figured that I needed either 3/4" plywood, or 1/2" plus several 1" boards to span the 40" of the bed.

My 4' long platform, which rests on boards just in from the plastic bins, uses 5 1x3 boards plus 1/2" ply, and feels solid with 2 people. Using 3/4" ply would have save a bit in platform thickness, but I think, would have been heavier.

paulj

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
will_morgan
2005 4WD EX
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Two comments
1) RE difficulty of making this assembly -- the beauty of the back of the Element is that the 48" width means you only need to cut one piece of plywood one time if you want it that simple. To whatever length you want -- the width of stock plywood is 48"...

2) RE weight, etc. The plywood is the heaviest part -- the other box structure (of 1x2s) is fairly small and light weight. Not too cumbersome to move around...

I can remove the whole thing easily -- it's only two pieces. The box for support, and the piece of plywood.

Hopefully this helps -- it's a great rig so far.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Have you tried this platform while driving over bumps? Any thoughts about how it might move in a sudden stop or crash. I secured mine with turnbuckles attached to the 4 tie downs in the bed. As a backup I also run a rope between the two side seat mounts. The seat mounts in the floor would also be a good solid anchors.

Any cargo on top of the platform is also free to move around.

paulj

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16

paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
hiker chick
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Very nice! :)

There is a significant after-market opportunity in this concept for whoever can crank out a similar configuration that is sturdy and professional looking.

For less than two or three hundred dollars.
I'd love it for camping and for security of all the stuff I'm prone to carry 24/7. My backseats would rarely be in with this setup. As it is, I keep only one backseat when in the city.

hiker chick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in