Another Platform Bed/Storage modification - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
jazz82482
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Another Platform Bed/Storage modification

Hello! I loved looking at all the ideas from other users in all the threads on this forum. I put together a few of the ideas that worked for me, and came up with my Honda Element Platform bed. The main use for us was easy storage for quick camping- we had to be able to access our stuff while it was still in the car, while leaving our sleeping materials in place, making it easier to park at hiking trailheads, and for use as a support vehicle during 100 mile running races.

It works amazingly well, and I can put the two platforms in either direction, giving us the option of having 1 seat in the back.

Here is the final product, complete with comfy dog, and another shot of our camping spot.

Details for the build can be found here:
http://coloradoadventureblog.blogspo...1_archive.html
Attached Images

jazz82482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
GUMP08SC
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Looks Good!

Very Nicely Done!!!

Do you have any details? How thick is the platform itself? 3/4 inch? Are the legs PVC pipe??
Just wondering.....

Sorry... just read your post again.... following the link now....
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
eedviking
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Thumbs up

Nice bed & blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kiss me where it smells funny
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eedviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
AuSn
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

HomeDepot has a "Special buy" and is selling some bulk foam pads 72 x 24 x 3 (inches) and also you can get some nice canvas/nylon type covers for these pads for under $30 each
UPC 848625001947 - for the pad
AuSn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Home Depot says that UPC code turns up "item not on file." Must be discontinued. I guess folks could go to their local HD and see. What department was it in, AuSn?

Last edited by ramblerdan; 11-07-2013 at 08:38 AM.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
jazz82482
2007 4WD EX AT

Thanks! I was surprised that I could actually do it- I have ZERO handy-woman skills :)

I ended up using ABS pipe instead of PVC, because I thought black looked prettier :) They are ~12" high, but the reason I used the ABS pipes is so that I can make new legs, if I want a different height. Also, they have these really nice, flat end caps, that I could drill 2 holes through and attach to the plywood, that felt sturdy enough to support the legs. Home Depot Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2-i...8#.Unz_2qVRmf0

The platform is 3/4" thick- my idea was that if I used thicker wood, than I possibly wouldn't need any center support. My husband, dog and I can all sleep on the platform without any sag (total weight 290lbs).

The only details I don't have on my blog are the measurements for where to put the legs- I adjusted and re-adjusted those measurements a few times, to make sure I could put the platforms in either direction, and didn't end up writing down the final measurements.

We just recently used the Element camper on a trip to Moab, and could fit 1 mountain bike on the side, with all of the gear (and dog) next to it. Obviously this required more unpacking at our campsite, but it was still nice to know that the platforms fit (and stack) the other way, with room for the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP08SC View Post
Very Nicely Done!!!

Do you have any details? How thick is the platform itself? 3/4 inch? Are the legs PVC pipe??
Just wondering.....

Sorry... just read your post again.... following the link now....
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
jazz82482
2007 4WD EX AT

Thanks!! The Element Camper has made it so much easier to go on quick weekend adventures! And our dog LOVES living out of the car :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedviking View Post
Nice bed & blog
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
jazz82482
2007 4WD EX AT

Thanks for the heads up!

We go back and forth about whether or not to get a foam pad…On one hand, it would be nice to have more head room, and not have to rely on our converter to plug and blow up the air mattress. But on the other hand, the air mattress is really quite comfortable, and when deflated, doesn't take up a lot of room, whereas the foam pad would probably be a bit bulky, all rolled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSn View Post
HomeDepot has a "Special buy" and is selling some bulk foam pads 72 x 24 x 3 (inches) and also you can get some nice canvas/nylon type covers for these pads for under $30 each
UPC 848625001947 - for the pad
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Mels E
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Thanks for the post - that has to be one of the simplest ones yet! I am thinking of redoing mine now.

Mels E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
jazz82482
2007 4WD EX AT

Thanks! Yes- simple was key! This is literally the first DIY project I've ever done- I can't even sew

The biggest unknown for starting this design was whether or not the legs on the outside alone would provide enough support. I decided to use an additional 3rd platform that can slide in underneath the 2 big platforms, right in the middle, with it's own legs in case there was too much sag. It turns out that using the 3/4" plywood provides enough support, especially with all of our camping gear stowed underneath. However, if I ever need more support, I have it! Also, by having no center legs, it gives me a lot more storage underneath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels E View Post
Thanks for the post - that has to be one of the simplest ones yet! I am thinking of redoing mine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in