Whining noise in Park and Neutral but not in gear - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
tuchubby
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Whining noise in Park and Neutral but not in gear

I've finally caved in and got a Honda Element.

2003 EX AWD. 208K miles. Now for the question:

I've obtained this car knowingly with issues. There is oil leaking from between the engine and transmission after it is being ran, about a baseball sized leak. It is leaking only at the bottom of the engine assembly. The transmission will always whine in park and neutral, but not while in gear. I have not changed ATF fluid yet, but will do so as soon as possible. It currently has the maximum amount of fluid according to the dipstick (after driving for 15 minutes). I wanted to get several opinions first in case I have to drop the transmission. I would like to fix what's needed and if possible first before spending time and 3.3 quarts doing a drain and fill.

Has anyone come across this on their Element? Thank you for your response

EDIT: Here's a video of the whining noise from startup:

Here's where the leak is coming from. Admittedly, it is not leaking as much as before:

Last edited by tuchubby; 05-16-2018 at 08:49 PM.
tuchubby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
wrandyholman
2005 2WD DX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchubby View Post
I've finally caved in and got a Honda Element.

2003 EX AWD. 208K miles. Now for the question:

I've obtained this car knowingly with issues. There is oil leaking from between the engine and transmission after it is being ran, about a baseball sized leak. It is leaking only at the bottom of the engine assembly. The transmission will always whine in park and neutral, but not while in gear. I have not changed ATF fluid yet, but will do so as soon as possible. I wanted to get several opinions first in case I have to drop the transmission. I would like to fix what's needed and if possible first before spending time and 3.3 quarts doing a drain and fill.

Has anyone come across this on their Element? Thank you for your response

I have a 2005 Element with 190k. I would pour a qt of Lucas Transmission fluid in it. Drive it. See if that helps. The tranny has probably reached its service life if fluid never changed b4 now. JMHO...

2005 Element 4wd. Purchased new. 180k so far... love it.
wrandyholman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
Mrselfdestruct
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 2WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Lucas doesnt have any secrets that Honda hasn't tried.
Id get the Honda fluid. Nothing else.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Mrselfdestruct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
tuchubby
2003 4WD EX AT

I noticed a new-looking starter when I looked up from underneath. Would a starter make a sound like that?? (to the likes of a faulty/badly connected alternator)

I'll toss in some stop leak stuff (lucas, at-205) and see what happens. At this point, nothing to lose.. will report back.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
DougRuss
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Goggled this.......
"Transmission pumps are driven directly from the engine through the torque converter. ... This is why a worn or faulty pump makes a whining noise in all gears including park and neutral. A restricted or clogged transmission filter will make the same whining noise as a faulty transmission pump."
DougRuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
tuchubby
2003 4WD EX AT

I changed atf fluid and filter (had to anyway), but still the same thing. Ignoring the leak, I just realized in the video I posted that the sound is more apparent on top of the engine and not the bottom. Perhaps is not the transmission?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
tuchubby
2003 4WD EX AT

after giving thought, i have a nudge on the issue being torque converter. all gears shift fine. park and neutral has noise and there is a leak at the bell housing. not exactly a simple task...
Old 05-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
zebra007
2003 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

The alternator, A/C, and water pump can make noises when they are on there way out. Sometime when the serpentine belt is not under load you hear the noise more prominently than when you are driving.
zebra007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
renegade43
2005 4WD EX MT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchubby View Post
after giving thought, i have a nudge on the issue being torque converter. all gears shift fine. park and neutral has noise and there is a leak at the bell housing. not exactly a simple task...
Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My 2005 AWD EX (197k manual transmission) just started to make this exact noise with the same symptoms this morning.

Did you or anybody find out for sure what was causing it?

I don't think it can be the water pump, alt, or anything else on that side of the engine. My noise, like yours, is coming from the right side near the top of the tranny/clutch area also. goes away when clutch is pushed in...goes away after warm up and a 5-10 min of driving from what I can tell.

This year has been pretty cray for my E. The closer I get to 200K its been one problem after another. starters, lots of suspension problems, and now this. *sigh*

Last edited by renegade43; 05-14-2019 at 04:14 PM.
renegade43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
07lmnt
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Pretty obvious the problem is inside the transmission.

Do you hear noises while driving in 1, 2, 3 ?

To me it sounds like gears worn. When in neutral or park they will spin, in drive they stop until the car moves.

The transmission pump is always pumping when the engine is turning.

Don't bother with the fluid, or leakage. The trans is coming out.
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in