Bed-toilet-shower design. Opinions? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Silencergroup
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD DX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Bed-toilet-shower design. Opinions?

Hi, first post.
I got looking at my 'new' 2003 purchased last week and thought that if I constructed essentially a waterproof box, I could house a bed, portapotty space and even a tiny shower. It's a fairly serious build that you would slide in without modifying much, basically self contained with little room for much else. You would have to be under 5'10" to make this work though, I'm guessing. Illustrations are from front left looking back.
1) In travel mode, it would have all of the slats pushed in, totally about 48 inches long. Approx 30" wide. No idea on the height, but I needed bracing so thus an overhead storage (potentially to hide 4" ABS pipes for gravity feed water supply).
2) Sleep mode, the front extension is pulled forward, resulting in 71" or so of bedspace
3) Portapotty mode: Slide the slats from the rear to forward, and it exposes a low profile portapotty. This gives you about 26"x30" to do your business. Not much room, but doable.
4) Shower mode. Remove all of the slats and supports. This gives you the entire 30"x48" space. Hang a curtain to keep water inside. Floor is slightly slanted to collect at the rear, then run out from the center of the spare tire, to a holding tank or ground if so desired.
Thoughts?
Attached Images

Silencergroup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
cursh
EOC Rank: Carbon
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Go break some sticks. You'll see what doesn't work better than anyone here with 50 years experience building could tell you.

Don't let CAD be a crutch.

Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Honda Ascot VT500c

cursh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Silencergroup
2003 2WD DX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursh View Post
Go break some sticks. You'll see what doesn't work better than anyone here with 50 years experience building could tell you.

Don't let CAD be a crutch.

Cheers.
It isn't CAD. I free-handed it, then saved it in MS PAINT 3D.
Not that it matters, but I'd be happy to get feedback from someone who has 50 years experience building.
I'm sure what I drew up isn't a totally original idea and I'd enjoy hearing someone else's experience trying this or something similar.

Last edited by Silencergroup; 10-08-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
cursh
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

MS paint sure has improved a lot in the past few years. CAD is just computer aided design, so MSPaint could have technically been CAD if it were being used to design. With what you've posted, I'd say they made it CAD beyond a shadow of a doubt. I wonder what you can export. You might even be able to get router cut files from that if you knew what you were doing (I don't)

If you'd like to see what other folks have done then there are a lot of threads to read through here. Otherwise your best bet is grabbing some wood and figuring it out as you go.

I'd chime in with 50 years experience building things, but I'll have to wait another 30 years. Maybe someone else will look at this, but in the meantime I'm just trying to convince you to try it and see what happens.

1984 Honda Ascot VT500c

Last edited by cursh; 10-09-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
AVService-314
2010 4WD EX AT
Other

Well I have been building things for lots of years but that does nothing to change me wondering how exactly someone would take a shower here?
Sitting down?

Also I think you might have misunderstood Cursh in general?
I thought he was suggesting that seeing this on paper is one thing,a computer almost the same thing but in wood to scale entirely another thing which I have to agree with for sure.

You don't need it to be nice or even complete but I bet if you make any sort of scale model at all you will be so much closer to an idea than just thinking about one.
AVService-314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
cursh
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVService-314 View Post
You don't need it to be nice or even complete but I bet if you make any sort of scale model at all you will be so much closer to an idea than just thinking about one.
that right there.

Well said.

1984 Honda Ascot VT500c

Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
partsbin
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

you can probably make this yourself. sit down showers have been done in small vans. they just use a huge plastic container bin and kinda take a bird bath like prisoners do.
i guess u use the portapotty for a shower seat? if so, might be ducking a lot. if not, then you have to move it every time u need to shower. the portapotty would probably be an emergency type deal from what i've heard from others with them in small vans.
4" pipe would probably be better outside the vehicle so it can warm up in the sun, like a road shower. if you want to use the toilet and shower a lot in the element, then yeah you can make that work.

but i agree with service and cursh, throw something together real quick and see if that's really what you want.
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Silencergroup
2003 2WD DX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbin View Post
you can probably make this yourself. sit down showers have been done in small vans. they just use a huge plastic container bin and kinda take a bird bath like prisoners do.
i guess u use the portapotty for a shower seat? if so, might be ducking a lot. if not, then you have to move it every time u need to shower. the portapotty would probably be an emergency type deal from what i've heard from others with them in small vans.
4" pipe would probably be better outside the vehicle so it can warm up in the sun, like a road shower. if you want to use the toilet and shower a lot in the element, then yeah you can make that work.

but i agree with service and cursh, throw something together real quick and see if that's really what you want.
Hi. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Just a quick reply. This reply isn't specifically directed at anyone.

I've only owned this Element for a week, so I came up with this after reviewing what was out there already.

I was thinking to remove the slats to access the portapotty (to be used where ever). Remove it and your boxed items stored under the bed to expose the waterproof inner liner to sit crosslegged on the floor to shower off.
Since most people would empty out the storage anyway once they set up, it would be available unused space you could bathe in.
It's a really basic concept, I just didn't see anything like it when I searched through hundreds of posts here. I am in Canada so putting the water supply on the outside would not work unless in the summer months, thus the overhead and the support structure. I also wanted to install lights and a fan in it, but didn't' include those things and a few other touches in the basic drawing I submitted here. FYI we already have snow on the ground here in the mountains, so fall camping involves below freezing temperatures.
I imagined this being about a removable multipurpose space for an extended trip - you CAN bathe if so desired, but may not necessarily have to if it is warm enough outside. Just an option. Otherwise just slapping together a bed platform in the back like most people do would be fine.

The CAD issue - I'm good, no need to worry. You've probably seen some of my stuff if you've been to a movie in the last decade. Seen Mythbusters? Same sort of deal, same sort of stuff. So... that's my background. It's not a brag, but we think, design, redesign then build. No wasted time or materials as we build stuff mentally before we ever touch a welder or saw. For us spfx guys it's faster, more efficient, cheaper, and how we do everything.

I was just asking if anyone who already did this sort of build had any refinements to offer or eliminate. I actually thought someone might say "Hey, throw some lights up top so you can read in bed"... that sort of thing.

Scale models:
Great suggestion, last week I had already built a scale model of the left side shelving system from my concept drawing because it is far more complex and the multi-angles vs anchor points required a mockup - so, thanks for the suggestion, I'm on it, and it will be a separate build once this is complete.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider this a 'ready to build'.
Oh, if anyone is interested, I made up a desk for the passenger side yesterday on my day off. Worked out well.
Cheers.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
EZ hauler
2010 4WD EX AT
Omni Blue Pearl (OBP)

This is the closest thing I have seen to your idea. It's only a shower but the guy has quite an imagination. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...m1MeeRJl_2GpI3

See you on the highway.
EZ hauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
partsbin
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

the 4" pipe outside would be a problem in your part of the earth. sorry i didn't notice your location before responding. i think it's nice to have a place to shower out of the wind when it's chilly so i totally get this.

im going to modify the poor mans cabana so i can have a privacy room for things like showering and number twoing

i have always liked what thsi guy did with his gravity water system.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...or-play.62159/

Last edited by partsbin; 10-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in